Oil change questions HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to do the first oil change on my HDJ81 with the 1HDT engine. What is the recommended oil for this engine? How many quarts does it take at a change? And what is the generally recommended oil filter for my truck? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to HDJ81 ownership. You'll want to have sourced an oil filter well in advance of needing to do an oil change, and keep a small inventory on the shelf as they aren't generally available off the shelf in North America. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic oil, and OEM filters, takes about 9.1L.

@shmukster , welcome to the HDJ81 club! We just purchased ours back in November of 2016 from Land Cruiser's Direct and I had the exact same question. Steve Jackson (owner of Land Cruiser's Direct) was super helpful and gave me some tips to start. You'll find quite a bit on the subject if you do a cursory search on IH8MUD, but in the interest of helping a new owner out regarding the 1-HDT oil change, here's what I've been doing since I purchased our HDJ81 (we love it by the way!):

I change my HDJ81's oil every 5,000 to 7,500 kms (I use kilometers because our odometer is in kilometers...just makes it easier for us) and replace the oil filter every other change (so every 10,000 kms or so I replace the oil filter). I use Shell Rotella T4 15W40 (non-synthetic) only and typically put in just about 9 quarts of oil if I'm not changing the oil filter, or about 9.5 quarts if I'm changing the oil filter. I usually buy two 1 gallon jugs of Shell Rotella and then an extra 2 quarts of Rotella for convenience sake. It's tough for me to get that single 2.5 gallon jug of Shell up in the engine bay and pour into the funnel to put in the new oil because of weight...that's why I buy two 1 gallon jugs :) It also prevents me from putting too much oil in there...it's very tempting to just put the whole 2.5 gallons (10 quarts), but that is too much. I use the dipstick to determine how much oil to put in, as it varies based on how many KMs we've driven, as well as other stuff (we have some oil escaping through the PCV hose...I'll be installing an oil catch can to determine how much oil we're losing to the PCV...just FYI).

And, like @IanB recommends, I have several Toyota OEM oil filters (Toyota# 90915-30002) in my possession and order them in quantities of 2-3 per order to save on shipping, etc.

Hope this helps!

The oil filters are available from Toyota USA, that's where I get them. Cruiser Outfitters and other retailers also keep them in stock. There are several aftermarket brand options as well.

Wix Gold for example:
Oil Filter (Gold)

Hot weather Rotella 15 40
Damn near 10 litres per change, filter every second change.
Buy your oil by the 20l or 5gallon pail.
Pails make a great seat if you are into recycling!

I'm running Chevron Delo 15W-40 dino oil from Costco. I just sent a sample in to Blackstone. I'll post up what they have to say about the oil and interval when I get it. $28 worth of science.
Scot

genuine filter. 15/40 basic semi synth. basically whats recommended from the book at my local motor parts store. its a 20 plus year old commercial diesel engine that will do 400000 plus miles on a basic oil. changed every 5000 miles.

I'm running Chevron Delo 15W-40 dino oil from Costco. I just sent a sample in to Blackstone. I'll post up what they have to say about the oil and interval when I get it. $28 worth of science.
Scot
Okay, oil report came in. I ran that oil (Delo 15W-40) hard for 8,750km (5,437mi) on this summer's trip through 6 states. There was no fuel or coolant present in the oil and the interval was good. They suggested I do another sample at 9000km from now.

Tagged for interest. 1990 HDJ81 with the 1HDT engine owner here.

I have always run Rotella 15w40 on all my old (IDI) diesels. It's fine.
First oil change in my HDJ81, and Rotella was nowhere to be found, so I just use Chevron Delo synth.

Most important thing is a diesel oil, I want to say API CJ-4 is the spec, but I'm going off memory.

I have always run Rotella 15w40 on all my old (IDI) diesels. It's fine.
First oil change in my HDJ81, and Rotella was nowhere to be found, so I just use Chevron Delo synth.

Most important thing is a diesel oil, I want to say API CJ-4 is the spec, but I'm going off memory.
Sounds good. There is T4 and T6 Rotella 15w40. I think one is synthetic and one is well, non synthetic. Which one do you prefer? Synthetic is a bit more expensive but expense isn’t an issue.

Sounds good. There is T4 and T6 Rotella 15w40. I think one is synthetic and one is well, non synthetic. Which one do you prefer? Synthetic is a bit more expensive but expense isn’t an issue.
I feel like you've answered your own question here. Full synthetic T6 > synthetic blend T4 Rotella, and the price reflects that.

Lol.

Asking which oil is best on any auto forum is really asking to stir up some dookie!

I'll only offer my personal preference, among my personal cars and my fleet of 17 work vehicles. If I get a car at (or around) 100k miles, I'll just fun full synthetic and not look back. If I buy a car with higher mileage, I'm more likely to run a synth blend. Years ago there was a thought that a car that had had conventional oil its whole life, if you switched to synth, it could cause some seals to start leaking.

If you want a real detailed bunch of nerds to discuss the finer points with, Bobistheoilguy.com is a whole forum literally dedicated to motor oil and lubricants.

Also, you can had a company called Blackstone Labs do a used oil analysis when you change the oil, and they can give you a lot of insight as to whether you are changing the oil frequently enough, and lots of other useful information.

I feel like you've answered your own question here. Full synthetic T6 > synthetic blend T4 Rotella, and the price reflects that.
Actually, oddly, if you look at freezer tests and I believe the #s as well you'll find that the T4 actually performs better in really cold weather than the T6 at the same grade. I switched to T6 only because after looking into this I'm running 5W40 for winter instead of 15W40 (and T4 isn't available in 5W40).

I'm not sure I'll stick with it in summer although it should theoretically be the same at higher temps. I ran 20-50 last summer and my oil consumption was way, way lower than with 15W40.

You should only run 15W40 or thicker if you live somewhere hot that never gets cold.
If you live where it freezes (most of the planet) then 10W40 is the thickest you should run.
If you have severe winters run 5W40.

There is no issue running 10W40 and 5W40 in warmer weather but they're usually more expensive oils. There are big fuel economy gains to be had running thinner oils.

My diesel ute runs 5W30. They put 15W40 in it at first service and I lost 8% fuel economy. Switched back to 5W30 next change and fuel economy returned.

Actually, oddly, if you look at freezer tests and I believe the #s as well you'll find that the T4 actually performs better in really cold weather than the T6 at the same grade. I switched to T6 only because after looking into this I'm running 5W40 for winter instead of 15W40 (and T4 isn't available in 5W40).

I'm not sure I'll stick with it in summer although it should theoretically be the same at higher temps. I ran 20-50 last summer and my oil consumption was way, way lower than with 15W40.
I am using the 5w40 T6 as well.

I've run 15w40 in the delo 400, t4 rotella and the delvac 1300.

Oil analysis on all of them came back identical. I'm not running a synthetic when the factory interval is 3000 miles.

I run the delvac because of the three it's cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom