300 GR Sport Launch Edition spotted at 2023 Chicago Auto Show (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheRealDeal124

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm not sure how good this source is, but here's something I stumbled into after work tonight on YouTube. Big news if this is indeed going to be on display. I wonder about Toyota's intent behind this. I wasn't going to attend the auto show this year but now I may.

Screenshot_20230202_194419_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230202_194517_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230202_194529_YouTube.jpg

If it is legit, it's interesting the timing of it. The last of that platform to come to shore. They tested the Tundra, Sequoia, and LX600 here first, to work out any kinks. Maybe to see if Americans liked the drivetrain. By the time (if ever) the Land Cruiser 300 is sold here, all of the early bugs would have been worked out. So as to not tarnish the Land Cruiser name here in the United States. Just a thought.

Would be cool if true and should be the only model offered in the states IMO, would probably carry +$100k additional mark up!

This truck is identical to the ME version down to the stripes and we frequently see unobtainable brand new 70 Series and post armored 200’s on carriers that come to the US for a brief time for upfitting and training purposes. Also, hard to imagine if Toyota were going to surprise introduce the 300 in the US, they Would be moving it around in an open carrier in the Midwest Winter!

Damn, they even let some hater slash the tires already and ruin the reveal. Welcome to Chicago.
Interesting. Hadn't noticed the tires. I suppose it could have been a vandal. Then I thought: maybe the cold weather (though probably less likely as that would take time!). I wonder if it's actually a proactive security measure to prevent theft. Most thieves don't drive around with flatbeds. Just a guess.

I have a hypothesis: maybe Toyota is going back to its roots with the Land Cruiser in the US, and it will become a no-frills off-roader wedged between the 4Runner and LX600 in price.

Black plastic door mirrors, black door handles, cloth seats (?), and other "basic" things in the cabin, smaller black wheels. Priced 10-20K lower than the outgoing model. Those that want more luxury are then "forced" to the LX600 at a significantly higher price point. Would serve to overcome the lousy sales numbers of the LC in the US, and maybe to help make the LX more appealing to luxury buyers and also help numbers there.

Just a hypothesis. May be wrong! I was just struck by how "basic" and no-frills the LC looks.
And we - in the US - have always been the odd man out with only an ultra premium version of the LC available. Maybe Toyota US have learned from their "mistake" and seen that even the 70 is enjoying success elsewhere, not-to-mention the Prado.

That said: the rear seat screens work against that hypothesis a bit. Have them in my LC200 before it become an option - can't stand them!

Interesting! I was looking at the new Sequoias a month or so ago and the regional Toyota sales rep was there for employee training on the new models. They had all 3 trims so I was able to check them out and compare to my 200 series. Anyway, we got on the topic of cruisers and he did somewhat confirm Katkon's hypothesis. He said the new LC would be more rugged and compared it to the new defender. I recall him saying it would be later this year or early next year for the reveal.

I wasn't sold on the new Sequioas so keeping my 200 series. It is difficult to find a vehicle as nice as it these days. I'm not too old (in my late 30's) and can't stand all the screens/brightness of these new Toyotas.

Interesting! I was looking at the new Sequoias a month or so ago and the regional Toyota sales rep was there for employee training on the new models. They had all 3 trims so I was able to check them out and compare to my 200 series. Anyway, we got on the topic of cruisers and he did somewhat confirm Katkon's hypothesis. He said the new LC would be more rugged and compared it to the new defender. I recall him saying it would be later this year or early next year for the reveal.

I wasn't sold on the new Sequioas so keeping my 200 series. It is difficult to find a vehicle as nice as it these days. I'm not too old (in my late 30's) and can't stand all the screens/brightness of these new Toyotas.
Interesting. So Land Cruiser takes on the Defender, while the LX takes on the Range Rover, perhaps.

I did always find it odd that the LC was basically priced at RR levels in the US, though the car was introduced to take on the Defender of old when it was introduced many, many decades ago.

Also - glad you're keeping the LC. Different league. The Sequoia is nice, of course, but it's not a Land Cruiser.

I have a hypothesis: maybe Toyota is going back to its roots with the Land Cruiser in the US, and it will become a no-frills off-roader wedged between the 4Runner and LX600 in price.

Black plastic door mirrors, black door handles, cloth seats (?), and other "basic" things in the cabin, smaller black wheels. Priced 10-20K lower than the outgoing model. Those that want more luxury are then "forced" to the LX600 at a significantly higher price point. Would serve to overcome the lousy sales numbers of the LC in the US, and maybe to help make the LX more appealing to luxury buyers and also help numbers there.

Just a hypothesis. May be wrong! I was just struck by how "basic" and no-frills the LC looks.
And we - in the US - have always been the odd man out with only an ultra premium version of the LC available. Maybe Toyota US have learned from their "mistake" and seen that even the 70 is enjoying success elsewhere, not-to-mention the Prado.

That said: the rear seat screens work against that hypothesis a bit. Have them in my LC200 before it become an option - can't stand them!
And this is the same hypothesis many people had thought until the recent semi-confirmation that the Land Cruiser Prado was coming to the states. We have nothing firm to go on so all these are assumptions but it would be far better in my mind if the Prado stayed the GX 550 and a stripped down 300 series was slotted between the 4runner and the LX 600 like you say.

Interesting. So Land Cruiser takes on the Defender, while the LX takes on the Range Rover, perhaps.

I did always find it odd that the LC was basically priced at RR levels in the US, though the car was introduced to take on the Defender of old when it was introduced many, many decades ago.

Also - glad you're keeping the LC. Different league. The Sequoia is nice, of course, but it's not a Land Cruiser.
I also had the opportunity to drive a Sequoia yesterday in fact. I will say I was quite impressed overall and in terms of tech it’s leaps and bounds past the previous GEN. But. Still. Just. Not. A. Land cruiser.

I also had the opportunity to drive a Sequoia yesterday in fact. I will say I was quite impressed overall and in terms of tech it’s leaps and bounds past the previous GEN. But. Still. Just. Not. A. Land cruiser.
Every time I get into the LC it puts a smile on my face. The steering is heavy(ish). The truck feels heavy. Everything feels solid. It "feels" overengineered because it is.

While the ride quality is good, it's certainly not Rolls-Royce or even Lexus smooth. But I can forgive that given all the other pros.

Yes, I enjoy its durability and reliability. I like its pedigree too. Really enjoy how it "feels": solid.

I haven't driven a Seqouia so can't compared on this front. Have driven a 4Runner which, like the LC is built on Japan and squeak and rattle-free. BUT, it felt light on its feet and relatively flimsy on the inside. Relatively.
LC FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom