Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

People who drive vehicles in this segment are making the statement, “look at what I can afford to drive.”

But Range Rover owners are making a second statement in addition to the first: “look at what I can afford to piss money away on constantly repairing.” 🤣
There’s also a segment of people who buy them clapped out on the used market so that they can “appear” wealthy or of higher status.

Dallas is full of them. We used to call them “30 thousand a year millionaires” but maybe it should be 50 thousand now to adjust for inflation?

The dealership just called me and the vehicle will arrive next week. I have a problem with that as I will be in PHX from Feb.6-13 for work. I fly home the night of the 13 after an event. I am home for the 14th quick reminder that’s Valentine’s Day and fly to Chicago on Wednesday. Question do I let her go drive it without me, or wait until Valentine’s Day and go together. I am not liking how this is coming together either way actually….
If you want and since you’re a forum member here, then just VENMO me $2000 and i will gladly drive your new LX home for you since you clearly distrust your wife’s driving skills. Heck, on the house, i will even off-road it for you to make sure that the tranny won’t overheat!

Everyone’s responses pretty much line up at a surface level with what I see around Dallas/Ft Worth which is mostly older guys. (50+, maybe a late 40’s in there)

@Tex68w sounds like we are in the minority haha
North Dallas most my life, and bought my 21 HE with ~800 miles on it a few days before my 41st birthday.

If you want and since you’re a forum member here, then just VENMO me $2000 and i will gladly drive your new LX home for you since you clearly distrust your wife’s driving skills. Heck, on the house, i will even off-road it for you to make sure that the tranny won’t overheat!

I already told you that my wife’s boyfriend wouldn’t allow this the last time you offered.

I've never been a fan of VD.
How do you know without having a taste of it?

Reminds me of a poem:

“Roses are red, violets are blue, i have herpes, and now so do you.”
I already told you that my wife’s boyfriend wouldn’t allow this the last time you offered.
But this dude won’t be in town! Your wife’s BF was very convincing…i see why you defer to him too. :D

There’s also a segment of people who buy them clapped out on the used market so that they can “appear” wealthy or of higher status.

Dallas is full of them. We used to call them “30 thousand a year millionaires” but maybe it should be 50 thousand now to adjust for inflation?

Correction, we called them Joe McMogulson’s lol. I lived in west Plano for eight years, I was immersed in it haha.

OP, I think someone already suggested this earlier in the thread but why not sell one of your Jeep/Ram products and keep both the 200 and the new LX? Worst case on the LX if wifey doesn’t like it you can almost certainly get out of it for little to no money lost. Or take a flyer on the LX before selling anything in your fleet?

Either way if it were me the 200 (especially an HE) would stay. Everything else you have is pretty easy to replace down the line if you wanted another.

Yes, that has been mentioned. I need a truck as a daily driver. The Jeep is 1 of 13 and that is my wives car (that I have already sold once). She asked for a new one when I sold the old one not easy to replace….I am not selling the FJ40 or the race car either those are not options.

Yes, that has been mentioned. I need a truck as a daily driver. The Jeep is 1 of 13 and that is my wives car (that I have already sold once). She asked for a new one when I sold the old one not easy to replace….I am not selling the FJ40 or the race car either those are not options.
1 of 13 is just a number. I once bought a car that was 1 of 100 worldwide. The manufacturer of the car really thinks they are something special (even worse now) and felt I should be honored to pay a premium for the privilege of buying one of their cars that was just 1 of 100. Was it a ‘special’ car? Sure, why not but only because they so tightly refined the qualification to be part of the 100. It was really just low production in that option combination. And who knows if they actually only built 100 worldwide. I had no way to know. The registries don’t call that out.

Consider selling the 392. It will most likely never be worth as much tomorrow as it is today.

Last edited:
@stonepa has a great point. The 392 is a fun engine, but remember - it's a FIAT/DODGE engine. Having zero direct experience, I would trust the twin turbo on your new LX600 over ANYTHING offered by Jeep.

I'm not a connoisseur of Jeeps. But looking at the strong value older Jeeps are holding in general, a 392 is going continue to be special going into the future. With the wide fan base, it doesn't have to be uber exclusive to have demand support that value.

Just look at HE, a badge job is enough to get people excited.

@stonepa has a great point. The 392 is a fun engine, but remember - it's a FIAT/DODGE engine. Having zero direct experience, I would trust the twin turbo on your new LX600 over ANYTHING offered by Jeep.
I agree, the Jeep though is a summer car. My wife will drive it 3500 miles a year. The issue is I sold her last Jeep, we had it for three years and it had 6500 miles on it and she wasn’t happy. The daily driver is the one that gets the mileage and needs reliability. I know most Toyota folks are not Jeep fans, but wranglers and especially 392 wranglers are holding value fairly well.

I agree, the Jeep though is a summer car. My wife will drive it 3500 miles a year. The issue is I sold her last Jeep, we had it for three years and it had 6500 miles on it and she wasn’t happy. The daily driver is the one that gets the mileage and needs reliability. I know most Toyota folks are not Jeep fans, but wranglers and especially 392 wranglers are holding value fairly well.
I totally get your point. I will say the wrangler's have an unbelievable base. Death wobble and all.

Maybe your wife will fall in love with the LX and it will be "her idea" to sell it.

Most certainly test drive the vehicle together. I still can’t believe they made the second row smaller. Why the heck did they design it with a huge center hump? The 2nd row is fine for two adults but not 3 and then you have the space robbing 3rd row and no clamshell. Oh and the dumb lower display screen. That one really boggles my mind.

I try not to judge people’s motivations for their vehicle choices. Maybe they just really like the challenge of keeping a Range Rover running. Lol. It’s like STi drivers—maybe they just really want to learn how to replace head gaskets. Who knows? 😆

I try not to judge people’s motivations for their vehicle choices. Maybe they just really like the challenge of keeping a Range Rover running. Lol. It’s like STi drivers—maybe they just really want to learn how to replace head gaskets. Who knows? 😆
The issues I ran into with my 2014 Range Rover were mostly annoyances (so not leave you stranded type stuff), except for 1 really big thing that was caused by engineers trying to be far too clever. The transmission shifter was a knob that rotates instead of a traditional shifter. Personally, I prefer a traditional shifter, but it was something I could get used to and live with. However, the Land Rover engineers thought it would be cool if the knob dropped down flush with the console when the engine was off and rose up when the engine started. Naturally, it didn't occur to them that it would be impossible to shift out of park if the darn thing didn't rise up when the engine started. Sure enough, that was an issue I ran into, though I got lucky and never got stranded because of it. I was always able to get it to work after a few start / stop / start cycles and there was a software fix that seemed to fix it, but this one thing completely shattered my trust that I wouldn't be left stranded out in the middle of nowhere without cell phone coverage at some point. There were at least 2 potential failure points for that problem (software glitches and hardware failure) on a control that is vital to being able to drive the vehicle. If you want to get clever on things, do it on things like the infotainment system where the occupants of the vehicle won't be left stranded as a result of a failure. Traditionally, this is an area where Toyota has always excelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom