1FZ-FE ARP Head Studs Installed with Part# (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the need for head studs?
Superior clamping force, easier to torque properly without damaging something, reusable and waaay cheaper (even at ARP prices).

no, the opel studs are longer by too much. They work fine except under the cams. There added length contacts the cam sprockets and requires trimming the front Two studs.

WE NEED SUPRA STUDS WITH THE SAME THREADED SECTIONS AT BOTH ENDS BUT 6MM LONGER.

I don’t know how to make it any clearer.
Actually, that could be more clear.

Do you mean 6mm longer overall, which might and might not mean longer threaded sections (likely a maximum of 3mm on each end)?

Or 6mm longer at EACH threaded end, meaning 12mm longer overall, and all of it threaded.

Or 6mm longer in the midddle, with the threaded sections remaining unchanged.

OR, do you mean you don’t really care about any of that, as long as the damned things are 6 (or maybe 12) mm longer?

Technically, there at least five and maybe six different ways to read what you wrote, all-caps notwithstanding.

I do admire your work (really), but your language lacks precision.

Last edited:
You do not need to bottom out the stud to get the max strength in this application. The Supra studs will be fine for this joint like has been mentioned earlier in the thread some people do drop a small ball bearing in the hole to bottom the stud on.

There are a lot of factors to this but the biggest one is that you are using 200,000psi bolts into Cast Iron. Cast Iron with hole sizes 1/4" - 5/8" reaches max pullout force in 1.4x the diameter of the fastener. It is an 11mm fastener so as long as it is threaded 15.4mm into the block going deeper isn't really going to give you anything. Best thing you can do is ensure the threads on the fasteners and head are in very good shape and a tight match.

If you really think you need more clamping force you can have the block and head drilled and tapped to 1/2" but it is not necessary.

Some reading on the last 2 pages here for those interested.

Last edited:
You do not need to bottom out the stud to get the max strength in this application. The Supra studs will be fine for this joint like has been mentioned earlier in the thread some people do drop a small ball bearing in the hole to bottom the stud on.

There are a lot of factors to this but the biggest one is that you are using 200,000psi bolts into Cast Iron. Cast Iron with hole sizes 1/4" - 5/8" reaches max pullout force in 1.4x the diameter of the fastener. It is an 11mm fastener so as long as it is threaded 15.4mm into the block going deeper isn't really going to give you anything. Best thing you can do is ensure the threads on the fasteners and head are in very good shape and a tight match.

If you really think you need more clamping force you can have the block and head drilled and tapped to 1/2" but it is not necessary.

Some reading on the last 2 pages here for those interested.

Thanks for the info! Ideally the things are idiot-proof and do bottom out, so it’s not too challenging for future generations who thought everything would be electric or we’d have teleporters by then—but you’re right of course; they don’t HAVE to bottom out.

The overall length of the stud needs to be 6mm longer. The threaded sections are fine as they are.
Got it and passed along, thanks!

Anyone have a decent-shape oem head bolt and washer I can send to my ARP contact, so they can measure the damned thing in-house?

Anyone have a decent-shape oem head bolt and washer I can send to my ARP contact, so they can measure the damned thing in-house?
Ideally they should measure a new one and a stretched one. They are plastic region after all.

I just ordered a new head bolt and washer. Once they show up, I'll send them on to ARP, and we'll see what we see. Might take a few weeks to get the parts, as they're part of a larger order...

Did u see my post above?
Yeah I took a look; thanks for the link! But they have no information on that page (probably so you can't compare prices). Could be a Supra set for all we know, there's no such P/N on ARP's site, these cost 'more' than head bolts, and ARP tells me they have no FZ set. So I'll keep on my present path, see where that leads, and report back...

I just ordered a new head bolt and washer. Once they show up, I'll send them on to ARP, and we'll see what we see. Might take a few weeks to get the parts, as they're part of a larger order...
Waiting! I'm building a FZ for my FJ40. I used ARP on my old Arctic Cat. They didn't make a set to my specs, so I called them. The guy said they had a set of custom studs they had made for someone that they returned unused. They were for another vehicle and were the exact specs I requested. Got them for $60. I kept blowing the factory head gaskets for some reason - ARP studs ended that problem. I think the Arctic bolts stretched over time under load/

I'd like to have the right length. I agree with the post about maximum strength in the block being reached and the other one about a ball bearing in the bottom. Also make sure and use their specific lube.

Done about a dozen rebuilds now with the Opel ARPs, no worries.

Cheers
Which Opel kit? Are they the correct length, longer than the Supra kit?

New head bolt and washer in-hand; sending to ARP next week, and we'll see what we see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom