Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve driven the LX, very nice car but as someone mentioned, very different than a 200. It’s noticeably smaller than a 200, especially sitting inside but the tech is impressive. I put a CCSS module in my LC though (wireless carplay, etc) and never thought about the low tech again. The LX is a vehicle you lease and drive for a few years and then start looking for the “new“ version. The LC is a car you drive for decades and like more and more with each passing year. I don’t think you‘d be unhappy with either one just depends on what you want out of a vehicle. I’ll also add, steer clear of G wagons if you are already familiar with Toyota reliability.

89837C15-D956-45D9-AC1B-0BEA89885CD1.jpeg

Prior to my 2020 LC HE, I owned 3 G wagons, a 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63. They were truly wonderful vehicles and I found the fit and finish to be excellent. All 3 were very solid with pretty much no squeaks or rattles. It should be noted that these aren't built in the same factory that other Mercedes models are built in, so the fit and finish of other Mercedes models is definitely somewhat different. My brother and parents each owned new GLC's in that time period and the fit and finish wasn't as good. Reliability, on the other hand, was not even remotely close to the level Toyota delivers across their entire product range whether it be a Corolla or a Land Cruiser. I traded the G63 in shortly before the factory warranty expired because it was clear that it was going to be $$$$$ to keep it and I'd like to retire at some point :). As mentioned above, G63 brakes don't last very long and are expensive, even without the carbon fiber brakes (those weren't an option on the 2017). Reliability of the new models is also kind of a question mark as a lot has changed, including the engine. The prices have also gone through the roof where a G63 can easily be more than $200K even without any extra dealer markup where a fully loaded G63 was more like $165K in 2017 and you could get a nicely optioned one for around $150K at that point. I haven't driven the new version of the G wagon, but I did "climb around" one as I had initially been considering getting one. They took away a LOT of cargo space in the new model between giving the 2nd row seats more legroom and taking up a ton of space on the sides for subwoofers. The end result is that the cargo space is somewhat lacking in the new G's, which ruled them out for me even if the price increases had not been too much for me to swallow.

The GLC's had reliability issues and my brother now owns a RAV4 and my parents own a Honda CRV. Not surprisingly, the RAV4 and CRV have been pretty much flawless, though not as luxurious as the GLC's were.

Prior to my 2020 LC HE, I owned 3 G wagons, a 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63. They were truly wonderful vehicles and I found the fit and finish to be excellent. All 3 were very solid with pretty much no squeaks or rattles. It should be noted that these aren't built in the same factory that other Mercedes models are built in, so the fit and finish of other Mercedes models is definitely somewhat different. My brother and parents each owned new GLC's in that time period and the fit and finish wasn't as good. Reliability, on the other hand, was not even remotely close to the level Toyota delivers across their entire product range whether it be a Corolla or a Land Cruiser. I traded the G63 in shortly before the factory warranty expired because it was clear that it was going to be $$$$$ to keep it and I'd like to retire at some point :). As mentioned above, G63 brakes don't last very long and are expensive, even without the carbon fiber brakes (those weren't an option on the 2017). Reliability of the new models is also kind of a question mark as a lot has changed, including the engine. The prices have also gone through the roof where a G63 can easily be more than $200K even without any extra dealer markup where a fully loaded G63 was more like $165K in 2017 and you could get a nicely optioned one for around $150K at that point. I haven't driven the new version of the G wagon, but I did "climb around" one as I had initially been considering getting one. They took away a LOT of cargo space in the new model between giving the 2nd row seats more legroom and taking up a ton of space on the sides for subwoofers. The end result is that the cargo space is somewhat lacking in the new G's, which ruled them out for me even if the price increases had not been too much for me to swallow.

The GLC's had reliability issues and my brother now owns a RAV4 and my parents own a Honda CRV. Not surprisingly, the RAV4 and CRV have been pretty much flawless, though not as luxurious as the GLC's were.
My exact experience with my former G65, which I bought new. I was glad to be rid of it prior to warranty end.

I think the LX looks "fine" personally; a bit more bland than the outgoing one, but certainly more interesting than my LC.

That said, while I do generally like the pedigree of the G-wagen, I'm very skeptical of the newer models' reliability. The AMG version, for example, features the same engine in my wife's E-wagon, and while it's been OK, we've had issues. No way that thing is in the same realm of reliability as the LC. I'd also suggest the fit/finish of a modern Merc is not on par with the LX or LC. My LC with 105K miles is rock solid; no rattles or squeaks. Had both on the AMG from new. Mercedes is not what it used to be, that's for sure. At least in my experience. And on top of all of that, there's the "image" of the G-wagon in the States. It's at the other end of the "look at me" spectrum vs the LC or even LX.

Again, love the pedigree. If I "had" to buy one I think it'd be a non-AMG with the least amount of exterior bling and the smallest wheels I could find. Coupled with the longest extended warranty known to man. I wish they'd introduce a more understated one in the US. :)

I'd love to have an older G500 to build out for camping and off-road adventures but I don't have it in me to deal with Merc issues.

I have looked at G wagons and considered them; however, as I stated before I don’t like the Lexus badge over the Toyota badge. The G wagon would be worse, and the maintenance on a G wagon is crazy especially here in CO when we are going up and down I 70 20-30 times a year. The brakes wear out fast. I do think my wife would love the G wagon but I just can’t do it….
I've seen people with NEW g wagons with parking sensor issues with less than 5,000 miles on the odo. The silver star being reliable is based on lore of years past, but it seems to be expensive to maintain (as you mentioned). They sure look amazing (along with the Rovers), but I would not consider it for long term ownership.

I’ve driven the LX, very nice car but as someone mentioned, very different than a 200. It’s noticeably smaller than a 200, especially sitting inside but the tech is impressive. I put a CCSS module in my LC though (wireless carplay, etc) and never thought about the low tech again. The LX is a vehicle you lease and drive for a few years and then start looking for the “new“ version. The LC is a car you drive for decades and like more and more with each passing year. I don’t think you‘d be unhappy with either one just depends on what you want out of a vehicle. I’ll also add, steer clear of G wagons if you are already familiar with Toyota reliability.

View attachment 3234930

CCSS module? Haven’t heard of that one.

I have Navi Plus and it works pretty good. It recognizes my iPhone right away for Apple CarPlay. All you have to do is push Audio button, tap on Aux and hold NAV button down for one second. This is really nice for google maps. Never need to look at my phone

I have looked at G wagons and considered them; however, as I stated before I don’t like the Lexus badge over the Toyota badge. The G wagon would be worse, and the maintenance on a G wagon is crazy especially here in CO when we are going up and down I 70 20-30 times a year. The brakes wear out fast. I do think my wife would love the G wagon but I just can’t do it….
Are you now in CO, or is there a CO in Nashville that I am not aware of?

Found this in Motortrend Tundra review:

“We were impressed by how well the long-wheelbase Platinum tackled our off-road obstacles and surprised the TRD Pro model wasn’t significantly more capable—and really surprised the transmission overheated on the off-road course. Twice.”

Owning a Toyota for only two years kinda misses the biggest benefits, IMO. They’re slow, the steering is usually heavier than others in the segment, they are generally not as fun to drive as others (thinking Camry vs Accord for one example), the trucks and SUVs have excessive body roll and poor fuel economy and features that are outdated or behind the rest of the segment, etc etc etc.

The other side of the coin to these drawbacks is where the real Toyota/Lexus superpower lies—the ability to forget your dealer’s name and face for extremely long periods of time. It’s cutting the umbilical cord from the auto market and being immune to the carefully curated, very powerful marketing that makes you think you need to trade into the next new thing every couple of years. It’s cutting the tether from the dealer service center and doing all the maintenance yourself because the truck is designed so damn well and is an absolute thing of beauty underneath. It’s going to remote, hard to reach places well outside cell phone reception AND coming back every single time.

All that to say, if you trade it in, I think you’re missing out on the real longevity benefits that Toyota offers and the genuine, hard-earned snobbery of reaching the high mileage club on a vehicle you bought new. :cool:

I'll stop polluting this thread after this and let it get back to 200 tech.

When I read threads like this, it reminds me that I am very fortunate to enjoy my land cruiser despite not being in the target demographic segment.

OP, good luck with your dilemma. Sounds like you can't go wrong, no matter the choice.
I’d been meaning to ask (was going to start a new thread) but I’m curious what the typical owner demographic of the LC is? I can’t imagine it’s a mid to late 30’s, single male with no family yet here I am haha. It’s funny to me because 5 years ago a LC wasn’t even on my radar and now I look for one nearly every day.

I’d been meaning to ask (was going to start a new thread) but I’m curious what the typical owner demographic of the LC is? I can’t imagine it’s a mid to late 30’s, single male with no family yet here I am haha. It’s funny to me because 5 years ago a LC wasn’t even on my radar and now I look for one nearly every day.
It’s usually 50 year old doctors or their wives. Also, it’s considered stealth wealth vs a Mercedes or a caddy. My sister in law is dermatologist. Been driving the same LC since 2013.

I'd say the average is a 50+ upper middle class and beyond daily driver or extra vehicle for specific use needs or vacation/secondary home vehicle. That said, I fall into the 30-something male without kids category which I assure you is the minority and for that matter I imagine the majority of members here don't fall in line with the main demographic of owners either as we are actually modifying and using these vehicles beyond road use.

I don’t know what typical is but I started off commercial fishing and farming when I was young. First 4x4, other than a pickup truck hauling gear and hay, was a Land Rover Series 2 LWB handed down from my dad. Bought my first LC, new, in 1987 and never stopped buying a new one every decade or 2. Now in my late 50’s, i’m no doctor but I did have a series of roles in the PNW that positioned me well. Now I drive what i want but my LCs are still my rock steady foundation vehicle wise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom