For Sale Looking for power steering box (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Al3

Threads
Hello all, I am looking for a LH power steering box for my 1982 FJ40. I am interested in purchasing one or getting mine rebuilt. Not sure who can rebuild it tho? The issue is that I have too much play at the steering wheel and when doing 30+ gets difficult to control. I've already checked, tighten and greased the entire system, and believe the issue to be a warn steering box. Any recommendations is appreciated.

Hello all, I am looking for a LH power steering box for my 1982 FJ40. I am interested in purchasing one or getting mine rebuilt. Not sure who can rebuild it tho? The issue is that I have too much play at the steering wheel and when doing 30+ gets difficult to control. I've already checked, tighten and greased the entire system, and believe the issue to be a warn steering box. Any recommendations is appreciated.

Sending PM

I haven’t used them personally but know several people who have and were extremely happy with the results. Do a search on here as well.

Be very careful!!!

One member had his Land Cruiser PS box swapped for a mini-truck PS box and it was never found. They are nearly identical with only the mounting angle being different.

As I think about it, they are not difficult to rebuild yourself. Maybe a 2-1/2 Banana job.
I would reach out to one of the small shop guys on here such as @cruisermatt rather than a big shop.

I can rebuild the boxes, I also have the new 40 PS housings and can put minitruck parts in them - but from what he is describing I would bet it is a caster/alignment/shackle geometry/tire issue. Especially on a South America truck.

I haven’t used them personally but know several people who have and were extremely happy with the results. Do a search on here as well.

Red Head did mine almost 20 years ago when they were a smaller outfit in a different location, the owner(Harvey maybe) did mine....he hadn't done what I had asked before...I sent him(in a 5 gallon bucket for $12) a new PS box case(no guts), a mini truck PS box and mini truck rebuild kit...I said stuff the guts of the mini box in the new case. Of course it worked perfectly. But have not used them since then and notice they are much bigger now....so maybe not the same level of care or workmanship. That said...I probably use them again as they are semi local . I do have a Fj60 box that will probably go there when its time

other place that use to get mentioned was I think West Texas Off Road, looks like they are still around.

Reactions: Al3
I’d also measure the caster first if the truck is lifted, you might have negative caster which makes it hard to keep it in a straight line at higher speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom