Is this 80 a parts car or worth fixing up? (newbie intro) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I been a user for a couple years now but I need some advice at this point.
(also not sure if I’m posting to the right place so please lmk).

I found this 80 for sale it’s a 97 3x locked Clean title.

There is rust, the drivers side rear quarter panel looks like it’s toast, and there’s a large dent on passenger side. The interior is in real rough shape. Seller also mentions it needs a valve cover, front axle hub service, and the exhaust has 1 or 2 small holes. The car does run and drive.

Im basically just wondering if you guys think this is something I can fix up with basic skills and not infinite money or if at this point it should just be a parts car or a project for someone with more experience.

My father is very concerned with the rust and thinks its beyond repair so any opinions on that would be very helpful.

Im attaching the pictures hopefully they work. Please let me know what yall would pay it.

Thank You

120A67C9-D7F7-463E-AC52-D4510E43DA3E.jpeg

C548C960-E373-4ACB-BBE6-6A44A4639842.jpeg

8819B31F-D992-4AD4-AFC1-70EFF36379DB.jpeg

E66FED3A-A6E4-4B57-91F9-4DAA6602ED13.jpeg

64402F05-4421-405C-9E8B-8AE59E54B5F4.jpeg

I would ask what your goal is …..

But I’ll skip the the run away advice.

If you are gonna hack it up into a woods beater and it’s $1500 go for it.

The rocker rust and rear quarter/fender lip rust is instant money. Plus needs tires to even be towed safely. Pass

Someone will be along shortly to tell you the axles are worth $2500 so buy it 😂

I’d wheel it but wouldn’t ever try and bring that one back. Dollars ahead finding a better starting point.

Body is too far gone from rust to be fixed in my opinion though it may have some useable donor panels/parts.

The passenger dents/damage could be repaired with replacement doors and then you could do a respray to fix the clearcoat and match the paint but the body rust is too bad to even be worried about the dents...

Frame/undercarriage rust may not be fatal, I didn't look super close, but that depends a lot on your tolerance for dealing with rust at all/etc. As a parts rig it isn't ideal because a lot of the parts may fight you on removal and need rust work, etc.

If you know how to deal with all of the issues then you can figure out if it's worth it to you but since you asked I'd guess it's not the rig for you. I'd pass unless it was really cheap, the drivetrain parts weren't rust damaged and I had the time/use for the parts and the setup to pull/store/sell them/etc.

Last edited:
$1000 max. Maybe if I hated myself and wanted to make my life more complicated and piss money into something that will likely make me angrier than I already am, I might buy it. Or I might get a side-chick instead. Same thing, different pots of money, may not be as fun but they’ll be equally dangerous to my lifestyle.

Bottom line, listen to your father and look for a better example. I hope you’re able to find something.

Dad is right. It's just too much.

It's triple locked but that is the only redeeming thing about it IMO.

IF a person could pick it up for a song, had a LONG time to work on and it, didn't lose interest or run out of money....yeah it could be fixed. But I wouldn't do it.

Take it from a guy who just "restored" a 97, one that was in great shape mechanically, didn't have rust but was in terrible shape aesthetically.

You will get killed on it, death by a million cuts and rust is cancer that will eventually kill it.

It would be cheaper and infinitely less headache to just spend extra for one in good shape already. I know it's hard to see it that way when you're peeling the bills off all at once but it's the absolute truth. Mechanical is cheaper, much cheaper, than making her pretty. If you wanna do the bare minimum and drive her into the ground then go for it why not, but to "restore"....believe me don't do that to yourself. I wish I had only done tires and suspension and just drove the snot out of my truck, instead I have to have everything perfect and it has been an incredible money pit.

Now that being said you would be shocked as to what every little dumb thing will sell for on these trucks. Things you never imagined would be worth anything at all you'll get good money for on flea bay....like down to the smallest most bs trim. But that takes up time, not sure if it's worth the time to you, I already do e-commerce for a living so it's different for me.

Last edited:
I live in the northeast and have dealt with rust. That's a hard pass IMO.
You're infinitely better off finding a better specimen. And don't get hung up on this 3x locked bull****.
Factory lockers are absolutely NOT worth a premium, and aftermarket lockers can be dropped in easily and make you happier in the long run.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I been a user for a couple years now but I need some advice at this point.

There is rust, the drivers side rear quarter panel looks like it’s toast, and there’s a large dent on passenger side. The interior is in real rough shape. Seller also mentions it needs a valve cover, front axle hub service, and the exhaust has 1 or 2 small holes. The car does run and drive.

Im basically just wondering if you guys think this is something I can fix up with basic skills and not infinite money or if at this point it should just be a parts car or a project for someone with more experience.

My father is very concerned with the rust and thinks its beyond repair so any opinions on that would be very helpful.

Im attaching the pictures hopefully they work. Please let me know what yall would pay it.

Thank You

View attachment 3234385

View attachment 3234386

View attachment 3234387

View attachment 3234388

View attachment 3234389
$500.

That's a LOT of rust and I'm in the Midwest.

You will break off nearly every bolt you touch. Any shop on the West Coast that you take it to will decline to work on it.

It's is salvageable if you're willing to throw the time and money at it. It will not be cheap.

If you want a beater that you don't care what it looks like, then get it right mechanically and drive the hell out of it. You're still going to be into it for $8500 for a truck that looks horrible and you can hardly give away.

You've got $8000 in parts and $12,000 in body work to get that to be a decent daily driver. That doesn't include all of YOUR labor.

Hey everyone,

Thank You

View attachment 3234385

View attachment 3234386

View attachment 3234387

View attachment 3234388

View attachment 3234389
yeah, i agree with of the boys. $1k. strip it and make some money off the front and rear axle assemblies and the drivetrain.

perfect trail rig to not give a crap about.

I know a way you can get that truck for free. Go around the neighborhood that the seller lives in and ask a few direct neighbors for "donations" to get that junk out of their sight. I bet you make $500 really quick.

It's probably been on those tire lifts for years. So yeah "perfect" if you have an engine swap ready, a welder, and whole lot of confidence in taking it out on a trail for it to break down within the first mile but you and your buddies can field fix like a military team.

It’s hard to hear but I would listen to your father on this one. Walk away, there will be other opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom