What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (59 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

6D668214-8021-4ABC-9A84-52FE67401C2A.jpeg

Pulled the instrument cluster out to replace the speedometer. A little disappointed at having to do this. Speedo was NOS installed in 2001. Only had 122K on the ODO. But it started squealing and jumping (not bouncing); I know what comes next 🌋
Of course I HAD to pull a few extra things out in the immediate vicinity while they were accessible and do a little detailing.😛

View attachment 3234368
Pulled the instrument cluster out to replace the speedometer. A little disappointed at having to do this. Speedo was NOS installed in 2001. Only had 122K on the ODO. But it started squealing and jumping (not bouncing); I know what comes next 🌋
Of course I HAD to pull a few extra things out in the immediate vicinity while they were accessible and do a little detailing.😛
Obviously a new definition of the word 'detailing'...
JK, Mark!!! :muted:

C9EFB99C-977A-4EF0-8D18-78F18F46C724.jpeg

It’s not hard to see how oxidized the paint is when a little gets cleaned. What’s not easily seen is how weather-checked the paint is.🤷🏻

Lots of extra stuff on that dash. The owner obviously going for function over form.
That would be me.

I have one resto; it’s one resto too many. I wheel my junk, and I wheel it hard. The passenger side rocker panel is separating from the A pillar, just as one example.

Function over Form is my way of thinking too. I love love love fully restored museum quality rigs as much as anyone but I want to drive mine as it was originally intended and I can’t afford to have both. If mine was cherry I would be way too paranoid to take it out and drive it. I have been wanting to paint mine for several years but I just can’t take the pain of being afraid of a scratch it.

This is more of what I am going to do....Received the rest of the "Black Friday Sale" parts today (Upper Dash Pad) I ordered from Toyota - it has the impression of where the upper lights go, but no real hole - I guess surgery is in order (Hate to cut a brand new OEM part). Now to see if Mark, @65swb45, has the upper and lower lights for a 1980's. I have neither and had hard time finding the warm pull knob and the heater controls driving in the dark as the shakedown continues.

When it gets warmer (this weekend I hope) will be pulling the steering gear box to be rebuilt. And getting ready for TRE - etc. Believe my shocks are from 2009 and have no idea how this rig was used before me.

I think I understand what @wngrog means in his Moe Green thread where he said the cruiser runs fine - but no real power - I can get the cruiser to 55 seems good - yes it is a tractor-, but something is not matching what others are able to do/post. Thanks to Mark @65swb45 for the tip for the paper clip test on the carb!! Will be doing that, then go from there.

AND Jim's desmog parts arrived today @FJ40Jim (delete plate and and gasket) so I can remove some hardware.

IMG-8825.jpg

IMG-8826.jpg

IMG-8822.jpg

IMG_8814.jpeg

I tried to remember where I parked it.

View attachment 3232166
Not the forty, but we’ve been blessed with the white stuff up north too. That there is an 8’ bed and front clip for a f100 stacked on top it’s been a wonderful winter so far …
FACAA2E5-0434-4A7D-8A91-EFDCB5B99398.jpeg

Did take the forty for spin though, to shake it down a bit before we head to Sand Hallow at the end of the month.
EEE42FE9-140B-40DD-85EB-AA1DDA605997.jpeg

Shakedown spin says I need a new battery(or two). Made it home safely. No harm no fowl.

Topped fluids. Son’s DD. Lit a fire. Took in the campfire smell while cleaning up the horizontal surfaces in the barn.

5C92A43A-218A-4CC6-AA51-D506821DD1CE.jpeg

3537C5E3-7E48-4C47-A5A7-203B6E7F0F55.jpeg

This is more of what I am going to do....Received the rest of the "Black Friday Sale" parts today (Upper Dash Pad) I ordered from Toyota - it has the impression of where the upper lights go, but no real hole - I guess surgery is in order (Hate to cut a brand new OEM part). Now to see if Mark, @65swb45, has the upper and lower lights for a 1980's. I have neither and had hard time finding the warm pull knob and the heater controls driving in the dark as the shakedown continues.

When it gets warmer (this weekend I hope) will be pulling the steering gear box to be rebuilt. And getting ready for TRE - etc. Believe my shocks are from 2009 and have no idea how this rig was used before me.

I think I understand what @wngrog means in his Moe Green thread where he said the cruiser runs fine - but no real power - I can get the cruiser to 55 seems good - yes it is a tractor-, but something is not matching what others are able to do/post. Thanks to Mark @65swb45 for the tip for the paper clip test on the carb!! Will be doing that, then go from there.

AND Jim's desmog parts arrived today @FJ40Jim (delete plate and and gasket) so I can remove some hardware.

View attachment 3234651

View attachment 3234653

View attachment 3234655

View attachment 3234658
I had to cut the same on my dashpad but it cut fairly easily and worked out well. Bought the light off ebay and luckily the wiring was already there. I did switch the bulb to LED.

You should do a cylinder compression test. You can borrow a compression test kit from Oriellys or Autozone. I had 2 cyl that tested under 100psi even though the engine still ran fairly well.

Last edited:
Lots of extra stuff on that dash. The owner obviously going for function over form.
There's also something subtle in that pic that I doubt anyone will pick up on, even though it's one of the most practical mods that I ever made.🤔 Maybe I should have a contest to see who figures it out.🤔

^^^
Does it have ‘anything’ to do with the speedometer?

There's also something subtle in that pic that I doubt anyone will pick up on, even though it's one of the most practical mods that I ever made.🤔 Maybe I should have a contest to see who figures it out.🤔
Floor shift conversion, EFI or the heat barrier on the tranny tunnel. How many guesses do I get?

Some sort of warning light on the dash?

E805524A-58B6-487F-9F49-69FE63DD457C.png

Looks like that underside cowl/support frame has been trimmed for access, etc.?

Nope to all. I said it was subtle. You'll probably have to use zoom to see it.

As far as the contest, Im going to donate a rare NOS ConFerr HiLift jack base. Winner to pay shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom