200 Series Bamboo Fridge Ready Drawer System Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am in Kalispell. I can't afford to buy a set but I can pull my fridge and drawer out if you want to test fit. I have an 09 LX.
Hi Ratchey, right on thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I have already test fit them in the LX and just need to verify fitment in the Land Cruiser.

You should stop by sometime and check them out. We could load them into your rig to test fitement in another LX. I'll put some beers in the fridge with your name on them.

Too bad your post was not two months ago. I was in your neck of the woods.

Very very nice woodwork and design. One woodworking suggestion cut the drawers faces from the same piece of wood that is used for the rest of the face. That way the grain all matches all the way across.

Yes, that was a major drawback to the R1.0 manufacturing process. I have since aqired my own CNC so I can more easily do things like double sided machining. This type of process would be required to cut the drawer faces and the bezel with a continuous grain. There would be a 0.0625" air gap around the entire drawer face however. In theory a 1/16" diamter by 1/2" long bit should hold up to the bamboo, but again this stuff is cutting board tough so we'll see.

This looks pretty great! I just bought an ADGU model but plan to build an Overland Bound style one for my LC200 when i can finally get my workshop completed. What sketch program did you use?

Wow! Very impressive! Would be cool if this could scale to a 60 series. 😎

Drawer Features

Dometic CD30 Refrigerator with Dometic PLB40 Battery

The Dometic CD30 refrigerator is a welcome addition in the summer time. It pairs nicely with the Dometic PLB40 battery. The fridge stays ice cold all the time and only makes a slight hum while the compressor is running. The Dometic battery is only a solder splice away form a complete plug and play power solution. The fridge was purchased for around $600 and the battery was purchased for $850. The battery lasts about 2.5 days in 90+ degree heat with no charging. On longer trips the battery will stay charged as it chargers when the vehicle is running off the 12v cigar outlet.

I still need to test a hard mounted solar panel as I think this will be the best option. The battery chargers off an Anderson plug and power is output to the fridge with a 2 prong screw in plug. A big bonus to this battery is it cointains its own internal battery management system and therefor solar charging is a true plug and play option.

The drawer system is designed so that the small drawer can be swapped out for the fridge. This requires removing the drawer latch plate and attaching a computer fan to either the inside or outside of the drawer housing. Cutouts for the fan are precut into the drawer housing and the PC fan is simply tapped (Posi-Taps) into the fridge’s 12v fan. A 12v cigar plug runs from the battery to the front drawer face for 12v charging and battery voltmeter display (Blue Sea Systems 4366 Panel).

View attachment 3092422

Posi-Taps are an extremely useful tool for tapping into wires.
View attachment 3092424

Shown below is the 2-prong connector that screws into the Dometic Battery (Note this plug comes with a standard cigar plug on the end that screws off to reveal the 2 prong connection.
View attachment 3092427

The image below shows the fan cutout and the cutout to run power in and out of the drawer housing.

View attachment 3092428
awesome build!

i just purchased a dometic cd30 with pigtails only. can i solder the pigtails to a dc5521 connector and plug it into an ecoflow?

awesome build!

i just purchased a dometic cd30 with pigtails only. can i solder the pigtails to a dc5521 connector and plug it into an ecoflow?

Did you find a solution? I believe the fridge is rated at 40 watts or around 3.4 amps at 12 volts nominal. What is your plug rated for and what is the DC output rating of your battery?

Bumping....

Cheers! Fresh restock on all materials. Who needs a drawer system?

Did you find a solution? I believe the fridge is rated at 40 watts or around 3.4 amps at 12 volts nominal. What is your plug rated for and what is the DC output rating of your battery?

Cheers! Fresh restock on all materials. Who needs a drawer system?
I have a Dometic 30L…. And used it on my last truck with my national Luna dual battery box. Wonder if that would sit behind this fridge…?

@Tennessee80 thanks for bumping this thread, somehow it escaped me last fall. Absolutely impressive work @nvrfollow. I just might be sending you a PM here shortly.

I have a Dometic 30L…. And used it on my last truck with my national Luna dual battery box. Wonder if that would sit behind this fridge…?

If you can supply the dimensions I will check on that.

The inside drawer height is 10 inches and the length behind the fridge is roughly 13 inches. Note you could relocated the compressor to the inside or outside and get an extra 5 inches of space in the length.

CD 30 Compressor.PNG

Stating this again, this looks amazing. Would it be lighter than a welded metal internal frame? I've really got to get some skills to draft something like this up.

Stating this again, this looks amazing. Would it be lighter than a welded metal internal frame? I've really got to get some skills to draft something like this up.

If you have the skills you should build it. An aluminum space frame with bonded honeycomb carbon panels would be pretty light if thats what your going for.

I'm in Bozeman with a 2015 LC. I actually did the test fitting for Dave for his KISS drawer system when I lived in Bend. I'm here if you still need it, I'd have to take out my DIY system for you but that's easy.

If you have the skills you should build it. An aluminum space frame with bonded honeycomb carbon panels would be pretty light if thats what your going for.
Speaking of adding lightness. Have you considered building out of nomex cored ply?

Speaking of adding lightness. Have you considered building out of nomex cored ply?

Yes, I am yet to find a cost effective way. Something else to consider is you basically just have a very high moment of inertia to weight ratio for each surface with sandwich plate composites. The impact toughness might not be quite acceptable for some uses. It would make nice drawer sides however.

Yes, I am yet to find a cost effective way. Something else to consider is you basically just have a very high moment of inertia to weight ratio for each surface with sandwich plate composites. The impact toughness might not be quite acceptable for some uses. It would make nice drawer sides however.
yes high stiffness to weight ratio. Impact of thin wood skins would be problematic, by nomex of other composite skins are tough as shown in the cabinetry and bulkheads of aircraft and as well as when we outfitted racing boat interiors.

@nvrfollow is the entire cabinet (i.e. not drawers) made from 18mm? I appreciate you sharing. You did an incredible job. Good luck on future production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom