Rear Bumpers Choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have dug through most threads, looked at reviews, and every ( to my knowledge ) company coffering a bumper.

I just want to add weight, and have an external tire carrier.

I have 1999 LC100

I have come no closer to a decision. So lets see If I got this right :

1. ARB - You have to buy a bunch of different pieces, and the pricing / ordering process is confusing.
2. Victory 4x4 - Cleanest looking, but so so reviews of them working on '98-'99 models
3. Dissent - Looks like best quaility, but once you add the $1000 Tire swing out, it seems a bit steep without extra options.
4. Bump-it - You cant order them anymore, but seem to be the simplest setup.
5. Dobinsons - Best bang for the buck, but look bulky, and build quality seems not exactly to the level of some of the others.
6. Coastal Off-Road - Price seems suspiciously cheap...unless Im over thinking it.
7. Slee - WHAT IN THE INSANE PRICING
8. Blue Lake Off-Road - Looks kinda like they copied Dobinsons homework, or the other way around. But website seems 20 years old ? So are they a thing.
9. Delta Vehicle Systems - Looks good, qulaity seems good, but pricing is a bit higher than some from the get go.
10. Valley-TEch - Not enough info out there to tell if they are good. But they look simple and clean.
11. Gobi - I literally cannot find any info / reviews, but they look not well thought out.
12. 4x4 Labs - Seems more utilitarian, but not super pleasing to the eyes.

Feel free to chime in, or correct my inaccurate assumptions.

Help!

13. Trail Tailor. Does require cutting the factory cross member. Is of fantastic great quality. It comes with Sylvania reverse lights and Road Vision combination lights. The spindle for the swing arms are very beefy (1.375” diameter) and uses Timken bearings and seals. I run the driver side spare + hi-lift jack mount, passenger side 3 Jerry Can carrier with accessory hitch, and dual latches. No squeaks or rattles after +2 years. I just cleaned and regressed the locking pins. Mine is steel bumper and steel swing arms. But I believe Jason does offer aluminum arms and other customization like a ladder, rear side hoops.

F2690295-635E-4A3E-92C2-2085E3F9B204.jpeg

0AA162C0-5A97-4FE7-AB23-D66FE352ACB3.jpeg

653025AB-A121-4112-AEA6-489EBA8C2B0D.jpeg
8C33EA7A-A1C5-4DAC-8A8B-3882628A4E55.jpeg

22952E91-2A5F-45D7-9B8E-D0B6FBBA948A.jpeg

Last edited:
13. Trail Tailor. Does require cutting the factory cross member. Is of fantastic great quality. It comes with Sylvania reverse lights and Road Vision combination lights. The spindle for the swing arms are very beefy (1.375” diameter) and uses Timken bearings and seals. I run the driver side spare + hi-lift jack mount, passenger side 3 Jerry Can carrier with accessory hitch, and dual latches. No squeaks or rattles after +2 years. I just cleaned and regressed the locking pins. Mine is steel bumper and steel swing arms. But I believe Jason does offer aluminum arms and other customization like a ladder, rear side hoops.

View attachment 3232143
View attachment 3232144
View attachment 3232164View attachment 3232163

View attachment 3232165
Damn, that is super clean. Looks like a mix between the Valley Tech, and Slee. Ill have to take a look. Thanks!

Here is some more info and pictures back when I got mine through a group buy TRAIL TAILOR - REAR BUMPER - 100 Series Land Cruiser/LX470 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trail-tailor-rear-bumper-100-series-land-cruiser-lx470.1230102/

My only regret, is I wish the ladder option with the 3 jerry can carrier would have been available back when I ordered. Just for some more external storage mounting options.

I am just glad more options are now available for our trucks. So folks can find that perfect bumper option!

You got a heck of a list there. I went with a Valley Tech on the rear, had custom made to my specifications, pretty easy process, took about the same amount of time as most of them do. however I do have a slee in the front, was originally going to get that for the rear, but opted for the Valley Tech because I can customize it to my liking, saved about $1k, great customer service from a small business as well. If remember correctly I only had to drill two holes to get the bumper mounted.

I added an extra receiver for a bike mount as well as a receiver to tow did a double swing out with a ladder and the tire that's on it is 34 in 18-in rim.

20220624_145354.jpg

20220624_145342.jpg

20220710_162520.jpg
20220709_164831.jpg

20220710_162511.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I have dug through most threads, looked at reviews, and every ( to my knowledge ) company coffering a bumper.

I have 1999 LC100

1. ARB - You have to buy a bunch of different pieces, and the pricing / ordering process is confusing.
2. Victory 4x4 - Cleanest looking, but so so reviews of them working on '98-'99 models
3. Dissent - Looks like best quaility, but once you add the $1000 Tire swing out, it seems a bit steep without extra options.
5. Dobinsons - Best bang for the buck, but look bulky, and build quality seems not exactly to the level of some of the others.
6. Coastal Off-Road - Price seems suspiciously cheap...unless Im over thinking it.
8. Blue Lake Off-Road - Looks kinda like they copied Dobinsons homework, or the other way around. But website seems 20 years old ? So are they a thing.
9. Delta Vehicle Systems - Looks good, qulaity seems good, but pricing is a bit higher than some from the get go.
10. Valley-TEch - Not enough info out there to tell if they are good. But they look simple and clean.
11. Gobi - I literally cannot find any info / reviews, but they look not well thought out.

Help!

Coastal Offroad is inexpensive because it's a kit that you must assemble.

Last edited:
I too went with Valley Tech. Garret is very accommodating and does very good work. If you’re willing to drive to him, he will install the bumper with you. Very happy with my decision.

1) ARB - There is a ton of pieces to put together! Honestly out of the 2 bumpers I had it was the most solid and strongest bumper I’ve had on any vehicle! The biggest issue for me was it’s huge! I drug that bumper on every obstacle I ever took. It’s very heavy!

3) Dissent - He was one of the first people to start making bumpers for our rigs. He is also a 100 series & 200 series owner. He makes the best looking bumper in my opinion. When I had bought my truck that was the bumper I knew I wanted. Just couldn’t afford it at the time. So I bought the ARB’s. Which is dumb because 2 years later I turn around and buy the Dissent and remove the ARB’s. Cost me more in the long run. I’m not sure what other options you need from them. Comes with it all! Tire carrier has a table, a Hi-Lift Jack, License plate mounting and wire running. Easily paintable or to get powdercoated. Cargo tray has a spare receiver for mounting a bike rack or another tray. High clearance. Very rarely do I drag this bumper on anything. When I do it’s normally just the factor 55 drag link. The couple times I have dragged the side of the rear bumper on obstacles has taken it very well. Couple little gouges in the steel and nothing else. If there’s ever an issue Ben will take care of you! Good luck getting ahold of ARB for any reason!

0D7D559D-5157-4B55-85B9-B313A2938552.jpeg

DA815FAA-9CF5-48E2-A933-B3A726D12F7D.jpeg

99425EAB-5C91-4EF4-AE57-F44396E0E3CC.jpeg

4BC8AD37-22B0-4CE8-BFCF-055582A92551.jpeg

Coastal Offroad is inexpensive because it's a lot that you must assemble.
They say welding is needed for all their bumpers. Does that mean we can just go to any local welding shops (with good reviews) and they can weld them together relatively cheaply? Or is this a specialized type of welding and we have to pay hundreds of $ for it?
Thanks!

They say welding is needed for all their bumpers. Does that mean we can just go to any local welding shops (with good reviews) and they can weld them together relatively cheaply? Or is this a specialized type of welding and we have to pay hundreds of $ for it?
Thanks!

Yea, I just noticed auto correct got me...All of their stuff is a kit. Personal opinion is that their stuff along with 4x4 Labs is the for confident DIY'er. You could pay a shop, but then you have no control of the QC and I suspect by the time you paid labor you just have just bought one of the assembled bumpers from a different vendor and saved yourself the headache.

I paid a local welder to put together a Coastal rear bumper and powder coat it. It Turned out fantastic and I have zero complains about it.
It was still cheaper than all the other options and the quality is great.
You are 100% overthinking it
IMG_20220829_094654_111.jpg

I really like Dissent's latching mechanism. I can just lean on my spare, and open the swingout with one hand while holding groceries/bags etc. Lots of good bumpers to choose from really.

Yea, I just noticed auto correct got me...All of their stuff is a kit. Personal opinion is that their stuff along with 4x4 Labs is the for confident DIY'er. You could pay a shop, but then you have no control of the QC and I suspect by the time you paid labor you just have just bought one of the assembled bumpers from a different vendor and saved yourself the headache.

If you're just looking to build up the bumper as the manufacturer does it (4x4Labs offers built bumpers or kits), I would recommend getting it done by the guys that weld those bumpers all the time. However, getting a kit from 4x4Labs or Coastal gives you the option to modify anything you want. I added a hole for a trailer plug in the rear, added a cupholder and bottle opener to the jerry can holder, and filled in the LED holes on the front bumper. Nothing huge, but it made it mine.

There's nothing special about the welding. You can pick just about any process, and anybody that's half decent can put it together. The fit-up takes as much skill as the welding, in my opinion.

I have 1999 LC100

Help!
Are your only considerations adding weight and tire swingout? Do you wheel it much? If so, easier stuff or more difficult?

I have 1999 LC100

Help!

You want to add weight? If some idiot didn't rear end me and my insurance didn't cut me a check I wouldn't have ever spent the money on a rear bumper. It looks cool and all but idk.

I guess it depends on your end use, but my spare tire being tucked under the truck wasn't hurting anything. Why do you want yours mounted on a bumper?

I really needed a way to carry fuel cans so the swing out carrier for that is nice but the reality is it's a pain in the ass to open two swing outs every time I want to get into the back. Especially in the winter when it all freezes up

If I could do it all again and ended up getting a bumper I would keep the spare under the truck and use the swing outs for gear / fuel can / cooler platform.

My BIO bumper rusted really quickly as it seems most people who powder coat just do a horrible job and it never lasts. I believe ARB has the best manufacturing process of everyone out there. I can't speak to all manufacture but everyone else just seems to be welding together sheet metal whereas ARB has a proper manufacturing facility with robots doing the work. I believe they used an anodized painting process as well but idk.

Last edited:
You want to add weight? If some idiot didn't rear end me and my insurance didn't cut me a check I wouldn't have ever spent the money on a rear bumper. It looks cool and all but idk.

I guess it depends on your end use, but my spare tire being tucked under the truck wasn't hurting anything. Why do you want yours mounted on a bumper?

I really needed a way to carry fuel cans so the swing out carrier for that is nice but the reality is it's a pain in the ass to open two swing outs every time I want to get into the back. Especially in the winter when it all freezes up

If I could do it all again and ended up getting a bumper I would keep the spare under the truck and use the swing outs for gear / fuel can / cooler platform.

My BIO bumper rusted really quickly as it seems most people who powder coat just do a horrible job and it never lasts. I believe ARB has the best manufacturing process of everyone out there. I can't speak to all manufacture but everyone else just seems to be welding together sheet metal whereas ARB has a proper manufacturing facility with robots doing the work. I believe they used an anodized painting process as well but idk.
Yep, the lift kit I got has medium duty springs, so it would be nice to soften it up since I have to find a solution for my spare.

It is easier to access, espcially in snowy environments ( I live in the PNW ), and I have no interest in laying on the ground to change a spare in the snow if I can avoid it. Plus I dont want my rim getting trashed with crap haning under the car.

We have good powder coaters that my shop uses, so I am not worried about that aspect.

Are your only considerations adding weight and tire swingout? Do you wheel it much? If so, easier stuff or more difficult?
Adding weight, more convenient to access spare tire, and want something that is a little beefier. Plus I like the way it looks.

Easeir wheeling for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom