2h early vs late camshaft difference?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Selling stuff on facebook has been really pleasant. Plenty folks on the same page, so learning from them too! Shame I am a terrible business man, too cheap.

So apparently the older 2h camshaft did not have an oil groove on one of the journals, whilst on newer 2h camshafts an oil groove was machined into the second from front journal.

Can anyone confirm this? Are they interchangeable even with/without an oil groove?

Here is pictured a used camshaft from a newer non sleeved 2h with an oil groove in the second journal. The shiny camshaft is a new unused aftermarket camshaft from npower, no oil groove in the journal.

I am pretty sure npower are chinese made, and pretty sure the noordeman perfomance grind cam is a npower camshaft ground and re-tempered, came in the same packaging.
I had already put my noordeman cam in without taking notice the difference in oil groove in the journal, doh. Will it be ok with/without the extra oil groove?

I know, I know bugger all power difference without turbo, but every little bit counts..

1673251254406.png

1673251340489.png

Fascinating.

Incidentally, I've been a bit skeptical of the Noordeman "performance grind" camshaft for a while. How much can it really have to offer? The 2H doesn't struggle to get air in or expel exhaust and it cant possibly affect fuel volume or timing.. so where's the performance really to be had?

Last edited:
Just thinking about it, on the 3B, if I recall correctly, oil feeding #1 camshaft journal also feed the rocker arms assembly. There is two oil hole in the #1 camshaft bearing.

The question, on a 2H, is the #2 journal also feed the rockers? So this groove could help oil travelling?

Was the groove a oem flavor? Personally I wouldn’t want that. That leave a narrow surface for a he oil film on the journal. I don’t think I’ve seen that on a camshaft.
that's interesting, looks oem. A fellow was after the camshaft thrust plate so I only just pulled it. It was he who pointed out the early/late difference. I'll pull the early cam and have a look when I have a mo, and look at the other old later cam...

Fascinating.

Incidentally, I've been a bit skeptical of the Noordeman "performance grind" camshaft for a while. How much can it really have to offer? The 2H doesn't struggle to get air in or expel exhaust and it cant possibly affect fuel volume or timing.. so where's the performance really to be had?
yes, must admit , it would have to be very little. The lobes after the grind are more pointy, so valves are open for longer.

Just thinking about it, on the 3B, if I recall correctly, oil feeding #1 camshaft journal also feed the rocker arms assembly. There is two oil hole in the #1 camshaft bearing.

The question, on a 2H, is the #2 journal also feed the rockers? So this groove could help oil travelling?
I would have to have a dig and look at that in time. Don't feel like pulling the timing cover off the good one. Shall update when I pull the other.

that's interesting, looks oem. A fellow was after the camshaft thrust plate so I only just pulled it. It was he who pointed out the early/late difference. I'll pull the early cam and have a look when I have a mo, and look at the other old later cam...
just an update pulled the camshaft from an early sleeved 2h, it has the same groove on the second journal. So, as far as I can see, it is the aftermarket 'npower' camshafts don't have the groove.
Whether it makes a difference in the long term, I am unaware of any reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom