Crank pully holder options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Muders,

Currently working on installing my supercharger. I had previously purchased the recommend holder via the instructions "09213-58012". It however is a 3 bolt pattern and too small.

Also purchased the generic on via eBay that is also too small.

Any one have a good suggestion besides starter bump method?

This topic is well covered if you search. Wits end makes one

Impact gun, my 1/2 inch snap on has not failed yet

Joey does not make one.

You mean Otram? He stopped making them.

Looking for an updated part number.
Ah, yes I meant ottram, sorry. I didn't know he stopped making them. This probably took less than a half hour made from scraps around the shop:
20210301_164303.jpg

@CPACruiser is making the tool now, I believe with OTRAMM’s blessing…

1CB0C5FA-5A37-4830-9431-7E92287CA020.jpeg

Remove the inspection plate (large plastic plug) on the transmission and put a 14mm deep impact socket on one of the fly wheel bolts. When you rotate the crank it will bind against the case and let you break the bolt free. Works equally well for installation.
Assuming rotate clock wise? Never herd of that before. #mindblown

If you go this route, don't forget to remove the socket when you're done. Someone on here did that. Wasn't pretty, as I recall.

This is the way I did mine a couple years ago. I have the tool now, but that method is easy, clean, safe, compared to bump starter method imo.

@NLXTACY says to have a few half-inch bars on hand if using the bump-start method, because breakage is common. Don't get hit by the shrapnel.

How about using two bolts through a chain to the pulley. Each end of the chain looped around both sides frame rail?

The socket
@NLXTACY says to have a few half-inch bars on hand if using the bump-start method, because breakage is common. Don't get hit by the shrapnel.
my socket for the crank pulley is 3/4" and I use a 3/4" breaker bar. But I was doing regular HG jobs so it made sense to buy those as well as the proper torque wrench.

I honestly don’t recall sorry. Been about 4 years since I did mine. I recall just picking a side and using the bolt closest to the edge. Turned the nut and if it didn’t bind right away I switched. When you figure it out use the opposite side to torque the nut down again.

And yes don’t forget to remove it when done. Can tape a string or something to it and run it to your door handle as a reminder

Last edited:
I have used a pipe wrench placed against the frame and placed on one side of the crank pulley to lock the crank.A bulldozer mechanic showed me this trick…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom