Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought mine during a sale a couple of years ago for less than $1k. You can get a more basic interface for less. The EC unit does a lot more than just Carplay. I have Hema maps and Google maps running of a separate, included GPS locator. Also have a 500Gb micro SD card installed, to which I can download movies via Netflix, Prime etc and they play through the rear monitors via an HDMI output. I can also use my phone as a wifi hotspot to stream live sports on YouTube TV.

Yea that sounds nice and all but I have little use for those features/functions. I simply want my phone mirrored on the screen to be able to use Google Maps, Spotify, and Messenger/Text from my Cruiser screen instead of on my phone. Obviously this isn't a huge issue or major desire so I'd have a hard time paying more than $500 for that ability.

I just ordered an LX lease and will be selling my 200 when it arrives. It’s painful, but my company lease is too good to pass up and owning the 200 outright is like staring at a pile of money that we could use for several projects around the house.

I let go of my 60 for the 200 and now will continue the cycle.

Take the LX and let go of your HE. You can grab one on BaT in 15 years when you are ready to appreciate it again.

I firmly believe the new 3.5TT won’t last as long as the 5.7, however we’re talking “only” 400k vs 500.

Toyota has a long history of building the most reliable and durable powertrains you can get in a passenger vehicle. That didn’t change with this new one. It is definitely more complex, and I do believe this reduces reliability compared to our engines, but that doesn’t mean it won’t easily exceed your expectations.

Personally the decision here would be based on the many other factors like whether the vehicle feels great to drive, the lack of split gate (cardinal sin, IMO), tech, etc, not concerns about drivetrain reliability.

I own a '16 LC, and absolutely love it. The longer I've owned it, the more I've loved it. The last of the LCs in the USA, perhaps.... I bought it because of the Land Cruiser nameplate and heritage, its legendary capability and reliability, and because I didn't want a Lexus - which was just "too bling". So few people "get" or recognize the LC; it's inconspicuous except to gearheads. Love that about the truck.

Now, you have the '21 HE. Arguably THE most collectible of all, and in a great color. It's the proverbial King of the 200 series - an icon!

Fast forward to the LX600.... I've had my eye on one for a while for really 3 reasons: (1) dealership experience (I really don't love spending time at Toyota dealerships - call me a snob!), (2) ride quality - would like an even smoother ride; air suspension will help, and (3) interior luxury. That said, the Lexus badge has traditionally kept me away (though I'm getting over it), as has its design/image (though I'm also getting over that - slowly). I suspect I will one day get an LX - but it will be 100-200K miles down the road, when it's time to retire the LC. Why? Because (a) I'm not convinced the 3.4L turbo-charged engine will be as reliable as the 5.7L V8 - time will tell. (b) I believe it's coming as a hybrid - that's what I'd want, but only after it's been proven reliable, and (c) due parts shortages it's missing stupid little things like a wireless phone charger at the front; believe it's only available in the back seat.

I suspect I will eventually pull the trigger on an LX, but only once it's been proven to be reliable and comes with a different powertrain. And likely the luxury edition because - if I'm going to do a Lexus I might as well go all out on the luxury front.

So, if I were you, I'd skip the LX and stick with the iconic very last edition of the Land Cruiser. It just doesn't get much better than that!

First world problems.

When 100-series came out, 80-series owners said too complex with architectural deal breakers. When the 200-series came out, 100-series owners balked. When the LX has objectively more with more capability stock, LC owners balked even as international LCs have LX equivalent higher trims.

Other than sentimental value, there's nothing special about the 200-series HE. It's a car. With a badge. It's got a job to do and comes up short in your wife's mind. When it was new, it already paled against its competitive set. Including its sister LX.

We all have our own personal subjective tastes as to which one is best. Nothing wrong with any of that.

The world moves on, upward and onward. I was hesitant to go from the 100-series to the 200-series. Now, I wouldn't look back. I drive my cars for me and no one else, brand cachet be damned. I would be proud to rock an LX600 F-Sport and find out how much more potential that platform has.

We were pumped about the 300 when they first announced them and then we finally test drove the LX600 and we knew right away that we’d never replace our 200 for one. There’s no way in hell I’d let a HE 200 go for a new LX600. But at the end of the day your wife needs to make that decision.
As a LC200 owner I'd be curious about your driving experience with the LX600 - what put you off?

As a LC200 owner I'd be curious about your driving experience with the LX600 - what put you off?

It wasn't the drivetrain that turned me off, it was the exterior looking more like a GX, the smaller interior dimension apparent in the front seat and the rear leg room. The console/center stack being much taller than the previous gen and the increased angle of the windshield which made the hood seem further out/longer. The Asymmetric gauges are funky and the double screens on the center stack are unnecessary. Overall we simply didn't care for it and we sold our LX570 in favor of the LC so we were already much more in tune with the Cruiser appearance than that of the LX. We have owned multiple GX's and still do so we aren't anti-Lexus, just not fans of the LX600 especially at $100K+.

Last edited:
It wasn't the drivetrain that turned me off, it was the exterior looking more like a GX, the smaller interior dimension apparent in the front seat and the rear leg room. The console/center stack being much taller than the previous gen and the increased angle of the windshield which made the good seem further out/longer. The Asymmetric gauges are funky and the double screens on the center stack are unnecessary. Overall we simply didn't care for it and we sold our LX570 in favor of the LC so we were already much more in tune with the Cruiser appearance than that of the LX. We have owned multiple GX's and still do so we aren't anti-Lexus, just not fans of the LX600 especially at $100K+.
Interesting.... thanks!

Well, more data and different perspective and all very good perspective. Thank you for all the commentary and opinions. I am going to stick with the plan of waiting for it to come in and have my wife drive it if she likes it we will buy it, if not we keep the HE 200. Again, I really appreciate everyone perspective on the new and old platforms. It is good to hear how others have thought about it and thought when they looked at it…

Even though I keep my cars for a long time and my LX is fairly built, I wouldn't hesitate to go for the LX600 if there was a good deal. Besides the split tail gate, everything about it has been improved. The offroad related and suspension improvements alone are worth it in my opinion.

For those who want to add CarPlay and don’t want to switch to a Tesla style complete head unit replacement, I have a used EC module for 2016+ LC’s that I no longer need as I switched to a Tesla style unit in my 2020 HE. Contact me via PM with an offer if interested. It’s complete with the original box, packing, cables, etc. These modules are good for what they are, but do leave you with the low resolution stock screen. If buying a CarPlay solution new, look beyond EC as there are much better deals to be had.

Regarding switching to the LX600, I definitely wouldn’t want the first model year or 2 on these, but beyond that, I don’t like the Lexus front bumper at all and there’s the whole split tailgate thing to consider. The new tech would be nice, but it seems like there are more negatives than positives, at least IMHO.

Well, more data and different perspective and all very good perspective. Thank you for all the commentary and opinions. I am going to stick with the plan of waiting for it to come in and have my wife drive it if she likes it we will buy it, if not we keep the HE 200. Again, I really appreciate everyone perspective on the new and old platforms. It is good to hear how others have thought about it and thought when they looked at it…
Good plan. Just be sure to take an extended test drive. When Motor Trend ran it through their evaluation as one of many SUV of the Year contenders, they criticized its "bouncy, truck-like ride" and "a ton of secondary vibrations, especially on rougher surfaces, that filter up through the frame into the body and on to the driver". That would be a deal breaker for my wife and it's something you could only find out if it's ok with your wife via an extended test drive. I wonder how much of that is attributable to the huge 22" wheels and skinny low profile tires?

I agree that she will be the one that makes the final call on what we do, i can help persuade her into the decision of what we do. That said the knuckleheads on this forum have a ton of knowledge that O don’t have. She has a 392 rubicon for the summer she drives, and i have a race car and a TRX so no need for additional speed in the household. Reliability and holding its value is the most important to me. I am sure between her and the kids they have different priorities. We will go drive it in a couple of weeks and i will let this group know the outcome. Any other thoughts?
Seems to me you just need a bigger garage. :meh:

Good plan. Just be sure to take an extended test drive. When Motor Trend ran it through their evaluation as one of many SUV of the Year contenders, they criticized its "bouncy, truck-like ride" and "a ton of secondary vibrations, especially on rougher surfaces, that filter up through the frame into the body and on to the driver". That would be a deal breaker for my wife and it's something you could only find out if it's ok with your wife via an extended test drive. I wonder how much of that is attributable to the huge 22" wheels and skinny low profile tires?
I think that the Figure 8 time is also inferior to LC200. So much for the “improvements” that the new platform supposedly brought.

Thanks for the heads up, i don’t like the 22s at all and they can’t be good in the snow so those will most likely be swapped out…

In your shoes I’d pass on this one coming in (the dealer isn’t going to be upset) and wait for the 600’s to really trickle in over the next year or so and reassess.

Not sure if you’ve done any nationwide searches for Heritage Editions lately but they’re nearly non-existent. It’s going to be one of those vehicles that will be tough to buy again down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom