Master cylinder overall service. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the interest of originality I'd like to have my original brake master cylinder overhauled. I'm afraid it has some pitting because when I did it a few years back it held pressure but now 3 years later goes straight to the floor. It may need more honing, or maybe a sleeve, I'd like to send it to an experienced rebuilder and I thought I'd ask the brain trust who they use. I've actually got 2 of em, and would like to send them both in. One has had the reservoirs literally eating off by vermin so it's likely going to need more than what comes in a standard kit.

Anyone know which Mud Member does that? Or does anyone know of a shop which they can recommend for such a service?

I'd like to support a member here, but otherwise I just pay someone who does this all day so if you have a lead, fire away.
Thanks and have a great day.

FWIW: There are some places that do re-sleeve. Only a couple I can think of - remnants of my Brit car days - mercifully now in the past.
This place does sleeving or complete rebuilds (see link below). So, you could inquire if they can do your parts. Can't really comment on the quality of sleeving work, but they are one of the few 'go to' places for vintage hyd part rebuilds in the US.
Says they can sleeve brake cylinders: 'most common cylinders and bores up to 1-1/8". Master cylinder, dual circuit (most 1967 & later) - $185 most.'
Says they are in Calverton NY
No financial interest, etc. I had some lever arm shocks rebuilt by them 10 or 12 years ago. Good work.
Or, weigh the cost of a nice new OEM unit.

Pedal going to the floor doesn't necessarily mean master cylinder. Have you ruled out wheel cylinders, lines and junctions?
It's not a hard rebuild, you could do it yourself.
I bet Cruiser outfitters has kits in stock. Hones are not expensive.
You've got two masters? Rebuild them one at a time.

I'm after the peace of mind that paying a professional offers. I may just need to do it myself. I'm in the process of rebuilding all of my wheel cylinders. I ended up needing to source several original wheel cylinders so I'd have a matched set. I've got that on the front, now I'm moving on to the rears, but I'm Also thinking ahead because once the cylinders and lines are all replaced that leaves the master cylinder... I've got hones (they belonged to my great grandfather) and I just put new stones on them to do the wheel cylinders so maybe I should just set my anxiety aside and do it.
I still need the reservoirs for the fluid, and I don't have any idea where to find those besides the stealership. The dealership here doesn't give any price breaks. My boss has had an account for 30 years with them and they give him 10% off of retail. Its usually a waste of time because they always claim no stock, and on the rare occasion they're willing to find something they charge insanely high prices. Last week I called them 3x on a dodge part and left 3 messages and they still have not called back. I called the dealer in the next town and they actually picked up the phone, looked for the part and found that it was out of production with no available stock anywhere... Not the answer I wanted but at least they answered the dang phone...

If you can find someone who rebuilds cylinders, i can't argue. If you take your time, read the directions, understand what you're doing and double-check everything, you can do just as good a job. They're that simple.
For new parts i might check with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. For good used parts i might check with Mark A. In Burbank. Oh, Mark A has new parts too. Manafre and specter might have those reservoirs too, but I'd call them last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom