Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DomSmith Hurricane Air (i originally viewed one visiting with Jonathan Ward while on a trip to California years ago) . And I have my fingers crossed that is all that is going on. I was getting frustrated and had tunnel vision thinking it was something major and forgot all my old school auto learning.. Air, fuel, fire.. and water. I am finishing up a garage remodel so the 45 sat for a bit and i misplaced some of her parts during the remodel. Found the correct tensioner for the York this week and the OBA bits are all showing up to plumb the system. I had not previously ordered a manifold block to hold the unloader and pressure switch. Pretty sure the fan was slipping at higher rpm causing her to overheat.
THe OBA will have a hose out of the York to a Genie Check valve/unloader mounted in a distribution block that houses to a 90/130 PSI pressure switch, a 90psi regulator out going to a second distribution block under the hood that will house the ARB solenoids, gauge (to insure 90psi for the ARB's) and a quick connect. ARB's like a steady 90psi apparently.
The first block will go to a small tank mounted underneath. I found a stainless 4" OD air tank in the parts pile, working on proper clean mounting options now. And eventually a quick connect somewhere in the back bumper. I really need to finish up my seating so i can work on some switched power distribution. I will probably hide a switchpro. I will not be hacking up the dash any more than it already is.

Short term, swap tensioner for York and see if she will do 70mph without overheating.

Decided to give the 45 some love, new wp, new thermo, new radiator. She has an overheating issue i have been trying to solve. Added an inline filter in the top radiator hose and heater hose for extra insurance. This block has apparently been shedding years of neglect into the radiator. I had bore scoped the radiator and decided it was somewhat clogged. Once I swapped it I decided to cut the top tank off to verify. And insure it isn't used again. I drove it across town to a spare garage so she could reflect on what she has been doing to me. Seemed to bounce up to 196 then back to 185. With a 190deg thermo I would imagine that is a win. I'll take her on some longer runs later to verify. I just wanted the room so I can work on something else

20230128_144637.jpg

20230128_144639.jpg

20230128_144733.jpg

Hopefully it wasn’t another aluminum radiator.

It was, I'll learn my lesson eventually. I put a new oem in chefs, I should prob do the same on this one as well. Not going to ruin a oem radiator until I know it is done clogging stuff up. I can eat a $300 radiator again. Might try a 180 deg thermostat if it needs it.

When I pulled my head on my F135 I was amazed how much stuff was settled into the cooling channels in the block, even after a couple of chemical flushes (I didn’t have the block dipped or whatever that’s called). I spent hours pulling ferrous sludge out of the channels as best I could using a magnetic probe (pointer thingy) and eventually pressurized air with vacuum when things dried out. Still using a filter in the top hose.

When I pulled my head on my F135 I was amazed how much stuff was settled into the cooling channels in the block, even after a couple of chemical flushes (I didn’t have the block dipped or whatever that’s called). I spent hours pulling ferrous sludge out of the channels as best I could using a magnetic probe (pointer thingy) and eventually pressurized air with vacuum when things dried out. Still using a filter in the top hose.
I wish our bodies were that easy to unclog.

It was, I'll learn my lesson eventually. I put a new oem in chefs, I should prob do the same on this one as well. Not going to ruin a oem radiator until I know it is done clogging stuff up. I can eat a $300 radiator again. Might try a 180 deg thermostat if it needs it.
Makes perfect sense to use an aluminum radiator as a sacrificial. Never thought of it before but…I like it! Carry on.😊

starting to slowly use the 45.. Didn't overheat and slightly longer trip. My confidence is growing. Handy having a pickup instead of using the Prius.. Last week x2 35"s were all the Prius could manage, way easier to get x4 37"s in the back of the 45.

tires.jpg

You have an…interesting…garage Erik.🤔

You have an…interesting…garage Erik.🤔
I’ve been to his garage AND to your shop. I’ll just say they’re both like finding the end of the rainbow to a Land Cruiser junkie.

love the salty dog license plate. i may still have a sweatshirt somewhere from there. spent a lot of time there when my parents had a place in h.h. plantation

Found that quick hinges interfere with older body openings. @2fpower had clearanced mine with a grinder but wanted it a bit cleaner. So took them to @kc_chevota 's for a quick run thru the mill. then a quick blast and paint. Cleaned up a spare 60 series transmission mount and put everything in epoxy..
After the epoxy was a bit of single-stage and dry time. Dropped the windshield frame down and wired up a Gentex GHSHL4 mirror. I could have put an OEM ish type mirror there but this has homelink, Compass and a camera built in. Really just wanted the homelink to avoid garage door openers flying off visors.. the two phone cable things are for the ham radio head that i plan on mounting above the mirror where the original mirror mount went on the windshield frame.

My problem I ran into after getting everything installed again with new weather-stripping is the doors won't shut. I gave up after the football game and will attack the door adjustment later. I did proactively order the thinner weather-stripping from Cityracer for the doors. At this point in the game I'm all for an easy fix.

Once the doors can shut, I can calibrate the speedometer and the Compass in the mirror.

View attachment 2910164

View attachment 2910165

View attachment 2910166
Nice 45!

How are you liking the GHSHL4 mirror?
I am wanting to put that one into my cruiser. Which camera did you pair it with?

I love the mirror. Camera is hidden and view is small but it has homelink. They pair with any reverse camera. Doing it again I would get a harness that isn't pinned yet. The rca won't fit thru the windshield frame holes. This site sells the pigtails
Thanks for your reply. How did you get the RCA up to the mirror then? Does your mirror have the 12-pin or 14-pin mirror plug?

Truck is hidden in winter storage so cant confirm the plug, and I ended up cutting and splicing. It works but I would have rather pulled the unpinned wire. The old windshield frames had a very small wiring run for the wiper motors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom