fj62 dome light circuit parasitic draw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my 60 it’s behind the kick panel. Uh...PS?.

I’ve been chasing a drain on my dome circuit too. I started to troubleshoot it today but only identified the circuit and pulled the fuse. The rear dome light has never worked so I’m wondering if there’s something going on with it that’s causing my problem. I installed a dual battery set up recently so messing around with the battery cables I’ve noticed a good arc from the positive post. This lead me to the fuse block after I determined which wire was showing load. I am really surprised when I came inside this evening and found this thread. I’ll hunt it down and post my findings.

Apologies on resurrecting this old thread, but I'm having a similar issue on my '88 FJ62.

In addition to the dome light not working, my power door locks are also not functioning, along with my aftermarket stereo, which was installed by a PO. The issue seems to be persistent now, but I believe it's been happening off/on without me noticing much as I've set the clock a couple different times and it has lost time.

Do the power locks and dome light both run off of the cooling fan relay? I'm guessing no, as I see a door locks relay in the wiring diagram in the FSM, but weird that the dome light and locks would both go out at the same time. Editing this to add that I just did the continuity check on the cooling fan relay as specified in the FSM and it seems to be bad...at least if I'm doing the test correctly.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:
The dome light fuse appears to also provide power to the carb cooling fan relay (according to a 1985 wiring diagram supplement). However, the door locks use a separate circuit breaker and fuse from the dome light. They all seem to get power supplied through the same fusible link, so you might start by checking those.

The dome light fuse appears to also provide power to the carb cooling fan relay (according to a 1985 wiring diagram supplement). However, the door locks use a separate circuit breaker and fuse from the dome light. They all seem to get power supplied through the same fusible link, so you might start by checking those.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the fusible link and it was a little loose. After securing it, my dome light, stereo, and door locks are all working great.

Appreciate you steering me towards the fusible link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom