Builds Olive '78 Fj40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my dive into the tool kit went further than anticipated. I wanted it to be like factory but with a few additions and artistic liberties since the bag style changed, so if we're talking Pebble Beach...no this isn't 100% original to February 1978, but it makes me happy enough.

As far as tools go, I ordered the full suite of what I could from Amayama along with a new bag. Instead of the plastic handle driver I grabbed the Vessel versions and added a hammer and 6 wrenches with KTC clip instead of the usual two wrenches and plastic clip.

The fun started with the tool bag mounts, since I couldn't locate a set that I enjoyed, I started with an L bracket reproduction from Heritage Cruisers. For the bag strap, I ordered two options (since I have a mint original cad clip) and two strap fastener options, both from Toyota Coasters. After seeing what vehicles used this style strap I jumped over to the Coasters and found they use the same tool kit design as the 40, up to 2022, with minor changes so I ordered both options and this is what I found.

oZyjUnOh.jpg

g0F9NhMh.jpg

The 2000s Toyota Coaster uses this style clamp which is by far the closest to the factory style.

uJNSXZTh.jpg

Toyota switched over to this style later and it crosswalks to the USA market as a oil line bracket, so its cheap and accessible stateside. Here's a comparison of the two.

RWY3Kv3h.jpg

I went with the earlier design since it matches the most to original but I can definitely see the benefit of the redesign.

pnrlscyh.jpg

For bag bands, there's two sizes that I found that work, just depends on how big your toolkit is. I went with the strap on the left due to how full my bag is now. Left would be for a '79-'84 J4x. The right would be '76-'79. I ordered both because I wasn't sure how big I needed.

breBQVI.jpg

What took a month or so to assemble...went together in 5 minutes.

JKya8Chh.jpg

If folks want to use the easy stateside option, this is what it looks like short of the L bracket. DISREGARD PART NUMBER. I had the wrong bag underneath during photo. The correct number is above ; 58705-27010.

8F35087F-AC17-4900-8DCF-B5AEC576F141.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have any interest in selling those split rims you took off of your '78?

Do you have any interest in selling those split rims you took off of your '78?
Since Nate trashed his I have a set I’d get rid of. Im afraid shipping would be more than the cost of the wheels tho

Nate, thanks for the part numbers and research on the tool kit reproduction! I'll have to do something similar.
Might want to add one of these tire pressure gauges: Available from the usual Japan suppliers for way less than eBay.

View attachment 3230860

They are back ordered 1-3 months :( so I had to kill it for now, I have another order already queued that will basically just be a long term wait, haha.

Last edited:
Well I slapped the 35s and OEM steelies on the truck....along with the oem lug nuts and valvestems (Pacific valvestem caps are so much nicer :)).

I love it - "it is so choice....if you have the means, I highly recommend picking them up".

Continuation of nothing wildly interesting, caps have been slapped on, Trasharoo taken out of storage and put on the spare (which fits perfectly with a 1.25" bolt on spacer). Bluetooth unit has been installed with a 4x6 in the factory speaker location. Currently have an order in for some more parts to 'finish' the engine bay for a while. Once the new intake is on, I will be pretty content, just tweaking day to day to find the perfect blend of USA and non-USA.

Only item I really need is a clutch inspection cover. I blew it and sold the wrong cover without checking. If anyone has a clean, rust free clutch inspection cover - please message me, I'm avoiding any wheeling until I slap that on.

4vjnNSdl.jpg

iEsoqvml.jpg

rzYKeGVl.jpg

yLyZXAhl.jpg

2GhIC6Gl.jpg

B22NrYCl.jpg

dtE24hMl.jpg

To say I'm not jazzed about the new intake is a lie....so here's a pic. I sourced a similar/essentially identical unit for the last 40 and I couldn't stand the USA version any longer, so the freshly powder coated bracket and inlet/hose and 75-80 intake (not on truck) will be up for sale.

bBJZbMfl.jpg

I'll be sitting on my hands while I wait for the OEM exhaust to be re-released - the aftermarket junk on the truck now needs to disappear.
Nate, what are the specs on those tires? You squeezed them onto the City Racer wheels?

Last edited:
Can anyone measure the coil lead for me on their truck? I have a 60 series plug wire set since it matches the dizzy and boot cover, however the lead wire to the coil is on the edge of just a smidge tight for my taste. Need length from boot end to boot end. Thanks!

1675739696623.png

Also popped on some jump seat straps - they are pretty nicely done and the color is spot on from the broken bits that were left on the jump seats. It's great having the seats up out of the way now.

IMG_3183.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom