Land Cruiser: What's your Main Use? (1 Viewer)

We want to hear about your experience. How do you guys use it as?

• Off Road Adventures

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Family Trips

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Everyday Transportation

Votes: 45 66.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have other vehicles but I use the cruiser for everything. It's like old man strength and experience. Never have to make excuses for it, except maybe the drinking problem.

My wife and I work from Home so over course of month the LC is used as follows. Groceries weekly, Costco monthly, Out to Eat weekly, Road trip to my parents pull boat to go fishing come back home once a month 600mile round trip. That T100 might go to Groceries or Lowes in LCs place, monthly kayak fishing trips. The Infiniti takes wife every Wednesday to read to kids at school, hair cut every 3 or 4 months, pedicure/manicure every 3 weeks, massage about once a month. The motorcycle makes it out about every 2 or 3 months for 600mile waste a day ride. Only the LC needs oil changed more than once a year the others never make mileage and I change their oil and rotate tires, etc... once a year. However it was not always this way only since about 2016. That Infiniti has 130K miles. The motorcycle about 30K, T100 is at lowly 135K. LC just passed 75K.

Started out as adventure truck as well as daily driver. While it is still that, the truck has also become an academic institution in which I regularly take either third-grade classes or 400-level courses in automotive mechanics. Given the former, I have supplemented with Lincoln Town Car to ensure the latter does not lead to child abandonment situations at school. All that being said, the LC chases slack-jawed J**p owners up trails and gets plenty of dirt and pinstriping. Not a garage queen or mall crawler, but it does go to Costco, too.

Just to get down my driveway is an adventure.

IMG_20230123_140932140_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221218_145153143_HDR.jpg

I generally agree but do yo7 base it on overall mass for the most part?
Plenty of discussions about this online. Bigger mass vehicle occupants will experience less change in velocity (Gs). But a lot of other sophisticated tech lessens occupant damage and reduces chance of having an accident, and the Land Cruiser is the top vehicle at those things, on top of being as heavy as most full-size trucks and SUVs. There are pics online of Land Cruisers upside-down on the road with windows still intact.

If you've crawled under a lot of vehicles, when you crawl under a Land Cruiser, you will understand this vehicle is built to withstand repeated pounding without losing structural integrity. Everything structural is overbuilt, like agricultural equipment. That goes for the seats, dash, consoles, everything.

Plenty of discussions about this online. Bigger mass vehicle occupants will experience less change in velocity (Gs). But a lot of other sophisticated tech lessens occupant damage and reduces chance of having an accident, and the Land Cruiser is the top vehicle at those things, on top of being as heavy as most full-size trucks and SUVs. There are pics online of Land Cruisers upside-down on the road with windows still intact.

If you've crawled under a lot of vehicles, when you crawl under a Land Cruiser, you will understand this vehicle is built to withstand repeated pounding without losing structural integrity. Everything structural is overbuilt, like agricultural equipment. That goes for the seats, dash, consoles, everything.
Alas, heritage matters.

proxy-image

I use my 200 for hunting and fishing trips, carrying my mountain bikes, canoes, kayaks, to go skiing, haul my hunting dogs around, to pull my teardrop trailer, to drive on long trips outside the US, etc. a lot of ‘off roading’ via logging roads, long corrugated dirt roads, etc. but no rock crawling and little mud bogging.

I do not ‘commute’.

I do not go to Costco or typically run errands. I usually have things delivered.

Somehow still manage to put 20-30k miles a year on my 200.

My 200 started out as a daily driver but is now more of an adventure rig, Sunday driver. Although I end up missing it and drive it a couple times a week anyway. My wife likes to take the 200 instead of her x5 when the roads are bad or when I haven't plowed our drive yet. My driveway is like @Alpine4X4 's I tried to talk her into her own 200 but she likes the peppiness of her car. I daily a tundra now, missed having a truck for frequent hauling required when you live in the boonies (no trash service, no access for delivery trucks, etc.)

I travel back and forth from West Texas to the TX coast every 6 weeks or so (750 mile round trip) in mine and use it for fishing and hunting trips, for dd duties I primarily drive the 85 pu or sometimes the hzj75 or Tacoma depending on my mood.

Living close to work and wife working at home keeps our 200 for camping trips to the mountains and road trips for kids sports when we need the space and don’t want to worry about having bad weather stop our travel. We have an accord to rack up miles around the city and take on long pavement road trips during the summer when we want to save some money on gas. One of the LC’s hidden benefits is its tailgating ability. Usually run it a few times on the weekend just to keep it moving and top up the battery. It’s the only vehicle I have ever owned that gets better with age.

70 series for adventures
tundra for everyday

The role evolves with time..
Right now, it's the wife daily driver and family travel vehicle.
After a 5-year break-in period, the 200 transitions into my off-road rig once I retire the 4Runner

So all the above basically.

Its one of my favorite 4x4s for many years so got it before I get too old to drive. Here we don't have any need for off-roading so most of its driving is limited to long highway trips alone or with friends and family. Sometimes drive to local club meets. Even with this kind of occasional use, I did around 10K miles a year on average.

My 80 was more of a toy (wheeling and camping), 200 more of a tool (towing, home depot trips, occasional ski taxi). Now that the 80 is gone, I'm going to see if i can be satisfied with the 200 for more serious wheeling or if I'll have to buy another 80.

My electric commuting appliance (Model 3) does the daily driving.

Tow vehicle for my 21’ fishing boat, in addition to family trips & daily driver. It tows well in spite of the short wheelbase.

Primary use is as a money pit I dump cash into for mods. Currently adding 4.88s, lockers, and LRA to support the secondary use of off road adventure.

Family Trips that often include Off Road Adventures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom