69 fj40 Building on a buget "I wish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I reset the fuel map. Checked all the Parameters. Still running like crap. Called Holley tech support to verify the O2 sensor was good. I Started trouble shooting systems.Electric good! Fuel Oh No! Found 20 psi on fuel system. I’m thinking shocker. Cheap ass Amazon fuel pump!🤬😡. Can’t complain it was only $20 for mocking-up fuel system. Pulled the pump and found.....
AAE926D8-3F3C-4498-8714-991C86B41735.jpeg

A blowed out fuel line.
Kids let this be a lesson! Don’t force 5/16 fuel line over a 3/8 flair!

Got it back up and running. The fuel regulator on the sniper went bad. Letting fuel to build to 100psi. Holley sent me a new regulator in the mean time I tweaked the old regulator and it sets around 50 psi. Will keep it my spare EFI box.

Is that fuel line rated for submersion? It looks like “normal” fuel line which will not last submerged . In this case the rating makes a difference.
It should have been it came with the fuel pump. But I don’t think it was. I don’t think the new one is either. The People the parts store hires are shade tree at best. He tried to sell me regular fuel line and said this is what I use. I asked him to bring me the other style they had it said right on it “fuel injection” hose.

Last edited:
“Fuel injection” hose may still not be rated for submersion. Submersion rated hoses in my limited experience usually don’t look like normal rubber hose, usually harder and more plastic like.
Submersible Rating SAE J30R10

I don’t think it is either. But I needed to get it running again. For no good reason but to make sure it runs. 😀
I figured I need to redo the surge tank so at that time I’ll change it out for the right hose.

I don’t think it is either. But I needed to get it running again. For no good reason but to make sure it runs. 😀
I figured I need to redo the surge tank so at that time I’ll change it out for the right hose.
Did you diy your surge tank? I may do Sniper in the next year and I always planned to build a stainless steel surge tank with my tig and feed it with stock mechanical pump.

Yes I did its pretty crude. I used an aluminum radiator over flow bottle a buddy made. And a stock sending unit top. But it works for now. Or until I can get an in tank fuel pump.

why do you want to change to in-tank pump?

Not to speak for @Jakes40, but the two of us have been discussing this for a while. The advantage of an in tank is simplified hose routing, having a single pump to worry about and not having a barrel of fuel hanging out in the engine bay. The only real disadvantage of an in tank pump is, potentially, access to the pump in the event of needing service or replacement.
The disadvantages of the surge tank include hose routing, engine bay space, amount of fuel in engine bay, multiple pumps required.
I think it is generally accepted that an in-tank pump is the best solution, if it is feasible.

Here are some things I need to change. I used a surge tank and would suggest not to, they cause the fuel to heat up after a day of wheeling. Caused my pump to loose pressure. May be the placement but it gets hot under the hood.
I have to trace down a vacuum leak it is causing it to run rich and load up.

Here are some things I need to change. I used a surge tank and would suggest not to, they cause the fuel to heat up after a day of wheeling. Caused my pump to loose pressure. May be the placement but it gets hot under the hood.
I have to trace down a vacuum leak it is causing it to run rich and load up.
Interesting! I always planned to do a surge tank to avoid modifying the stock tank and use the very reliable stock mechanical pump to feed the surge tank. Do you have a return from the surge tank to the main tank? If so, the system would have to heat up all of the fuel for the surge tank to be hot. Seems unlikely? but maybe possible.

@CruisinGA I do have a return 3/8 line. I did not take a temp reading but the return line was warm at the tank. After cooling down pressure returned to 50 PSI. I have thought about changing the pump out to a Delco pump and seeing if it’s a pump flaw. It may be that I have the stock pump, the return fuelfrom the sniper, and the return to the stock tank at the top of the surge tank? And the pump is at the bottom. And my surge tank is not that big maybe 1L. I have not driven it much sense then.

Acquired an 8274 need had to modify the bumper to mount it down between the frame rails.
0F677139-D96D-4196-A4A0-2D67F33DE861.jpeg
1851846D-ADB9-4A5F-8196-A2048A583148.jpeg
619F8B6E-F833-4EE2-8DDA-1E7CAF206187.jpeg
1BD4E583-DEE2-472B-8B35-86E485068EAF.jpeg

Poser! If I ever met a driver who DIDNT need a winch, it was you Chris.

You just wanted a bling way to put some extra weight on the front axle.😉

Extended the cage to fit the family. (Like they would ride with me!) and added some over head bars and grab handles.
4273B65F-10A5-466E-AE7F-78960574F3C8.jpeg

148B063E-3135-48D9-BCD1-59956D6EA596.jpeg

Next phase begins!
Out with the F in with the 2F!
Plan is to just reseal it, new water pump, try Y Header, maybe shave the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom