All 3b-t owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i made a significant move forward with the kind of turbo/throttle response ive been looking for from my 3b today
when i put the td04 turbo on it was OK, but not quite the kind of kick i was looking for (and the turbo will push 30 psi)
I tried the mercedes injection pump spring with no noticeable benefit
i turned up the fuel 2.5 turns which helped but at an egt cost
i upped the psi to 20 with a noticeable decrease in egt's but not a heap of extra power......
then i turned the reference line on the throttle plate to 90 degrees from straight on, like is stock, and finally the kind of instant throttle response ive been trying to get
it feels like a 20% increase in usable power,
there isnt anymore top end power, just the kind of instant throttle that gets you through the gears in a respectable fashion
it is an instantly noticeable effect, felt like i put 2 turbos on instead of just one (hyperbole)
What this is essentially doing is allowing the diaphragm spring to push the rack to full fueling sooner from the decreased reference line sensing ability from being (formerly) full-on to the airflow, to now having (roughly) half of the resistance on the front of the diaphragm.
More fuel sooner in the revs.

I finally have the performance that i need from the engine, in fact so much so i might turn down the fuel 1/2 turn and maybe 10-20 degrees on the reference line angle to be a bit easier on throttle tip in,
egts with the new reference line angle did increase on going through the gears, but not on top end highway diving at all

try it, its easy to do and easily reversible

Last edited:
yes, the reference nipple rotated 90 degrees (either direction) but mine went towards the firewall
you'll need a new piece of hose to reach the new position

the injection pump was retarded 1.5 mm or so when i replaced the head
its now pushing the heavy 35's with ease

update
Ive since turned the reference nipple to about 75 deg from its original position
Turned the fuel down to 1 1/4 turns out
turned boost down to about 18 tops at the end of each gear
Max egt of 1250 on a long pull, heat soaked
I think thats about the best one of these engines can run, and its running really good

Show a picture of this please.

here ya go
reference line is the one under the intake pipe
formerly the fitting faces toward the front of the engine bay ( hole in the pipe faces straight up into the intake airflow
i rotated the fitting towards the firewall, ( hole in the pipe inside the intake now faces the firewall straight on )
this makes the hole in the fitting face 90 degrees to the way it faced the airflow before
therfore making the air pushing on the front of the diaphragm roughly half of what it was before
this allows the diaphragm spring able to push the fuel rack to full fueling sooner in the rev range

please make sure you retard your injection pump before making power tuning increases to your turbo 3b as the peak pressure on the crank can exceed the ratings on the crank and bust it...... as im sure a few people know by now

IMG_20230125_190406[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_190413[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_190521[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_190529[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_190553[1].jpg

couple more pics

IMG_20230125_190639[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_190629[1].jpg

make sure you use hose clamps on the tubing as boost can force these lines off and make a runaway fueling condition

for anyone interested that is a frozen boost air to water intercooler with a reservoir
a recirculating turbosmart blow off valve setup
im using a td04l-13t kinugawa turbo with the 6+6 billet compressor wheel and the 9 blade high flow turbine (to help with egt/manifold pressure) no turbo lag at all
go fast bits manual boost controller
new head, mls head gasket, homebrew exhaust manifold
autometer procomp2 gauges, boost, water temp and egt with warning light, in their dash pod

its a bit of a pipe clusterfuck but it doesnt bother me

IMG_20230125_193345[1].jpg

IMG_20230125_193402[1].jpg

What's going on with the hose T off the intake then back onto the turbo piping?

Is it just an optical illusion or is that the same hose?

yup recirculating blow off valve
What's going on with the hose T off the intake then back onto the turbo piping?

Is it just an optical illusion or is that the same hose?
when the blow off valve actuates it dumps into the intake side before the turbo to help keep it spooled between shifts

yup recirculating blow off valve

when the blow off valve actuates it dumps into the intake side before the turbo to help keep it spooled between shifts

Oh right. First time I've seen a blow-off valve plumbed in on a diesel.

i had it from an old project and these have a throttle plate so i figured i'd try to protect the turbo a bit from the stu-tu-tu-tu's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom