Restoring 80 Series Wheels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quite a few have asked on pricing. No lie, it's 5 hours of labor from start to finish, and 14 hours of time. I don't take shortcuts anymore. Restoring your wheels will set you back $275 a wheel. I don't think anyone has ever done it like this, if they did they quit because it takes so long. I'm patient. Time is on my side for now.
I just had a set of wheels powder coated for a project we are working on. It was 130 bucks each and they were new wheels. Your pricing for a finished wheel is quite reasonable in my view.

I didn’t know it when I first saw this post, but I’d never have guessed that this process doesn’t affect the wheel’s integrity at all. This is awesome. Great work using your resources and ingenuity to bring us something that helps restore our cruisers.

The Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Paint is almost an exact match for the darker windows on the 40th wheels. That's what I used and I could not see any difference between it and the factory coating.

Graphite High Performance Wheel Coating

Graphite High Performance Wheel Coating
12 oz. Aerosol
SKU:
HWP102

Finished wheel with that paint:
IMG_0490.JPEG

I just had a set of wheels powder coated for a project we are working on. It was 130 bucks each and they were new wheels. Your pricing for a finished wheel is quite reasonable in my view.
Agreed. New quality wheels are that much or more so that cost is well within reason for what looks like a brand new factory wheel.

That could be a possibility. There is a Powdercoater next-door. He thinks we should go with an acrylic powder coat clear, so we will try once it like that.
Beautiful resto work on the wheels.

I had clear acrylic pc (prismatic powders) applied as a top coat over the color matched pc on my front steel bumper. It has been very durable, but the finish over time is susceptible to environmental effects, some dulling and staining, and some fine hairline crazing. Brake dust and heat might accelerate that process.

Last edited:
I've been told that powder coating on bare metal holds up better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom