Builds '78 Refreshtoration, what next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both of those winches are beasts! However, if you can fit the 8274 nothing looks better on a 40 IMHO. That looks awesome. Side note, 4+ products are some of the best in the game and we are fortunate to have amazing fab guys like Dave still supporting these OLD rigs with great products.

You might consider some synthetic line when the wire rope wears out. It'll lighten the front end another 30ish pounds if you add an aluminum fairlead as well. It does make a difference being so far forward of the front axle.
Thanks @REZARF I totally agree on the looks and on suppliers like Dave. He makes good stuff.

I thought a little about the weight and wondered if it would make a difference. Does it impact steering, mileage, acceleration?

The brakes on Goldbug have never been right. I struggled with the rear drums and the wheel cylinders, first trying to hone and rebuild, then replaced. But Ive always had a ton of travel in the brake pedal and sufficient but not super strong braking. Plus I started to lose a lot of fluid from the master cylinder.

I put in an order to @cruiseroutfit for a new master cylinder, shipped out same day.

It was a late night, but with help from friends and some adjusting the pushrod because I couldn’t get a hold of the special tool, the new master is in and the pedal is MUCH firmer with less travel. And so far, no leaks!

3ED8664E-0F91-4D3E-8030-471C3B7FE273.jpeg

C7E0168D-4A06-4B93-BF43-E4B8CC742399.jpeg

A few weeks ago I did the event that is the highlight of the year for me each time: the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering. 3 days of camping and wheeling and fun. I ordered a new skid plate from Lance at Iron Pig Off Road and he was kind enough to bring it up with him and even help install it. That's service! Had an absolute blast and met tons of other mudders.

C00C627E-5AC2-4F21-8235-8AA784E78133.jpeg

EA2D554A-4F3E-43F6-8016-B8C27CDBA60E.jpeg

050EEA03-E44E-4ACC-A770-F2C357BA88A8.jpeg

9E01B132-E207-4F9F-A519-FA9270FF6FF3.jpeg

92917FAE-5798-43AA-AF95-F103196A8E05.jpeg

37510738-D417-4946-BCC0-30FBC145CBAB.jpeg

#winterprojects

It's that time of year, so I tore apart my perfectly good 40. It's been leaking oil and coolant more and more and the damn power steering/harmonic balancer/alternator whine won't go away. Two things I am determined to resolve.

I ordered up a bunch of OEM gaskets and coolant hoses to reseal the parts of the engine I can get to without pulling it and clean up the coolant stuff at the same time. That was the original plan. Since then, many "while I'm in there" items have been added.

Thus far it's been mainly disassembly, cleaning and parts research and ordering. The list now includes:

Replace engine gaskets with kit from Cruiser Corps and some OEM
New OEM Coolant hoses
New battery cables and lugs and terminals
Replace rubber fuel lines with hard line with this
New OEM thermostat
New water pump from @Racer65
New oil pressure gauge from @Racer65
Install carb heat shield from @cruiserland
Install new 2F harmonic balancer from @cruiserland
Get carb cooling fan to work
Fluid Film, Clean, Polish & Wax

64446FD1-2976-43CD-A16E-ED57895E4B10.jpeg

2D3BC9CD-1710-4B4D-B2D3-E6D2D05D9BEF.jpeg

your front shackles are on upside down, so you could fix that too.

your front shackles are on upside down, so you could fix that too.
I know! It's been at the bottom of the list, since I put them on last spring. I'd decided it wasn't worth it, but now that you've pointed it out...

Nice, Slim.
I found that #4 adjuster bar yesterday if still looking
Thanks. I think I have an adjuster that will work but I’ll let you know if not. The bracket is my bigger concern but I’m not 100% convinced a smog bracket would solve my problems. Your balancer cleaned up real nice though.

Great reading through your build, seems very similar to what I am trying to do.

Making good progress but I'm worried I made a fatal error. I reinstalled the oil pan, timing cover, thermostat, and water pump, all using the red FIPG 00295-01281. I've been reading more threads on it and the guidelines are that it's for axles and transmissions. Not engines or coolant. @ToyotaMatt or others: can I get away with leaving as is or do I really need to order all new gaskets and go with 00295-00103 for the oil pan, side cover gasket, timing cover?

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Note: @cruisermatt I did flip the shackles for you and installed new bushings. Don't think I screwed that up, I hope.

76247AE5-CD58-483D-9ACF-29B01CACF8D1.jpeg

if you leave it as is , it will be leaking engine oil before you complete this project .......

your all apart now , you have total access free of obstructions , do the 00295-00103 black FIPG correction needed stop NOW

if you choose the eazzy path to the dark side , you will be sorry sooner rather then later , and hurt your own feelings with regret ....:confused:

THIS IS THE WAY ....

s-l1600 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Got the timing cover, timing plate, both gaskets, water pump, fuel pump, side cover gasket, valve cover gasket back on. Re-welded the PS bracket. Next up is trying to improve alignment of the PS and then getting all the coolant hoses in the right spots.

FEF556F8-AEE1-470C-A30A-AFFE9581051D.jpeg

Got the timing cover, timing plate, both gaskets, water pump, fuel pump, side cover gasket, valve cover gasket back on. Re-welded the PS bracket. Next up is trying to improve alignment of the PS and then getting all the coolant hoses in the right spots.

View attachment 3270324
That's the way to do it! Looking really clean in that engine bay wouldn't want it getting all oily.

I noticed your shock hoop and looked through your thread but missed any details on that. I have a FJ 60 power steering set up in my 40 and am looking for more information on shock mounting options and the hoop looks like a good one. Did you do the modifications and any advice on this?

That's the way to do it! Looking really clean in that engine bay wouldn't want it getting all oily.

I noticed your shock hoop and looked through your thread but missed any details on that. I have a FJ 60 power steering set up in my 40 and am looking for more information on shock mounting options and the hoop looks like a good one. Did you do the modifications and any advice on this?
Hey there, thanks. The PO actually did that. It works, but getting the PS pulley lined up has been tricky. Also, I actually have an F.5 engine, which didn’t come with a spot to mount PS, which complicates things a bit.

Let me know if you want more pics. I think they did a good job fabricating it but I suspect there’s a better way. He was more of a hot rod guy so did some things that were unusual.

not F.5, the 2F didn't get the power steering holes until 79/80. I am actually about to attempt to add a pump to my dad's 77 and I'm going to try drilling and tapping the block (very carefully :eek:)

not F.5, the 2F didn't get the power steering holes until 79/80. I am actually about to attempt to add a pump to my dad's 77 and I'm going to try drilling and tapping the block (very carefully :eek:)
Why not use one of the smog pump mounts? uses factory threads. This is how I did my '75 1.5F. Those bolts not present on a '77?

Let me know if you want more pics. I think they did a good job fabricating it but I suspect there’s a better way. He was more of a hot rod guy so did some things that were unusual.

Actually yes I would be interested in a few more pictures especially one showing how the hoop connects to the side of the frame rail. Still trying to figure out how to mount a shock in that location and can use as many examples as I can find to figure out what's going to work.

It may not be the best way but it's the only solution I've seen so far that makes sense to me.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom