How To: 100 Series Hood Lift Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you guys using the same brand shocks for the rear hatch?

I just installed the StrongArm 4361 strut from Amazon and they are indeed 1" shorter than the oem ones and the hood does not open as much as with the original. But for $35 it might be worth it.

I tried this too. Driver side went smoothly but passenger side not so much. The hood side strut mount refused to budge. In fact my 12 mm wrench slipped.
So i took the head off the ball mount with a cutting wheel and then tried to turn the stud, still with no success. Now it is badly mauled by all the attempts with locking plyers and not coming out :/
A friend has suggested using jb weld to attach my 12mm socket on it and let it cure overnight. And then try turning it with a ratchet.

Here's the obvious but did you try putting a rust penetrant? Also sometimes an impact wrench has better luck to break stuff loose rather than steady pressure.

I know I am late to the game on this but man o man. $28 dollars and about 8 minutes and my hood stays up all by itself now. Totally worth it!!!

thanks for this info. I recently purchased a LC 470 (144K miles run). During my pre-purchase inspection, Lexus dealership gave an estimate for 435 (including labor) to replace two struts. It a daytime robbery. Now i am looking for a genuine lexus mechanic in the LA area.

Has anyone found any strongarm or other brand that maintains the original open height?

Thanks for this, just ordered. Up to $38 now but less than I thought the inflation would be.

Going to try these, $25 and currently 5% off, should be here tomorrow or the next day. Amazon product ASIN B01H8A815A
Installed these yesterday, opened the same amount as the previously installed strut, looked to be OEM. Didn't think OEMs at $200 are worth it. I could replace these 6 times to get to that cost, and it takes 5 minutes.
IMG_3787.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom