I have questions about the Jeep Wave protocol... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StinkyPig

SILVER Star
Threads
I have noted, this year it seems more prevalent, that when I am driving my FJ40's the Jp folks tend to shoot me the Jp wave more often than not.
1. Is it because they don't know what a Jp looks like and mistakenly wave?
2. Or this because they are bowing to the superiority of the Land Cruiser?

So I ask fellow mudders, what is the correct protocol?

40 owners hate to admit it, but a Land Cruiser fj40 is a jeep with a Chevy straight 6 that was on a different evolutionary path

I know the displeasured comments that are about to ensue, but it’s the truth

40 owners hate to admit it, but a Land Cruiser fj40 is a jeep with a Chevy straight 6 that was on a different evolutionary path

I heard that the F and 2F was based on a "stroker" 6 (meaning "undersquare" engine displacement - longer dimension of crank stroke than cylinder diameter) for a GMC vehicle. The Chevy "stovebolt" and 250 straight-6 is more of a modified SBC than it is an F or 2F as far as its "DNA."

I bet that Jeep doesn't even know what they are building. Seriously! When they propose to their engineers that they want a Wrangler with a wide stance between wheels, a narrow tub / narrow cargo space to stuff growing children in, and aftermarket-looking fender flares to make up the difference and keep rocks from flying. Jeep must be like, why do we have to make an aftermarket-looking new vehicle that wastes space and lacks a good bubble shape to resist side impact and rollover?

I say give them a wave. Because when you are deep on BLM and forest roads, badges don't matter, your value is measured by your ability to provide a good anchor point. If I lived in an area where there was more rock crawling, I'm sure that this Cuiser would not be able to keep up. I wouldn't even say the word "jeep." Jeep people typically use a two-letter designation, like "JK." Around here, it is really common for people to drive really fast and hard thru dust (the trails look like they are smoking from miles away in town at sunset) and mud. I think that it is stupid, but, for others, it is fun. Like, I'm sure that our grandparents generation would be like, you mean that you want/need a 4x4 because the trail lacks any kind of slope to drain water? You don't need a jeep, I'll call Barbra's son, he works for the Forest Service, I'll let him know that your father will bring his grader and your uncle will provide the gravel. What is different, now, is jeepin' has become an extreme sport, with cult-like traditions. Like road cyclists at your average cafe, wearing only vacuum tight sweaty clothing, and marching/tap dancing around in clip-in cycling shoes. Dude, it is just a bicycle, I didn't need to see that much nut sack just for coffee.

Last edited:
40 owners hate to admit it

I admit it often… most of the world use the term jeep to mean the type of 4x4 it is… so did toyota

J = Jeep

From Toyota....
"At the time there were many Jeeps being driven in Japan, which had been brought in by the occupying forces, and the Jeep came to be the symbol of the 4x4. For this reason Toyota called its prototype the Toyota Jeep, and by combining a B-type engine with a Jeep model it was known as the BJ."

Started as the Toyota Jeep then just Toyota BJ then land cruiser in 6/54

See my historical data and Toyota BJ Jeep links in my sig
image.jpg

From another of my posts:

only true 'copy' was the first gen stovebolt 194? and the 'Type A' Toyoda engine... Toyota is quite prowd of this fact so much so that Toyota even has a Type A and a stovebolt side by side at their museum in Japan. When Toyoda Automatic Loom Works started out in the automotive endever they enlisted experienced japanese automotive workers... from the GM Factory located in japan ... without these key employees jumping ship to toyoda it would probably be a much different company today.

When the 'Type B' came out it was a licenced metric equivalent of the 207 within the engine

Initially back in 1974, there were many more FJ40’s on the road and I waved, they waved and so did Jeeps. We kinda thought that we were a different breed not set back in a cushy car smoothly Cruising down the road but withstood the firmer bouncy movement of the Land Cruiser. Kind of special.
I acquired my most recent FJ40 in the fall and the 90 seconds it was off the car carrier, I drove it to the next corner to make a u-turn and pull into my road… a girl in a jeep goes by me the other way and waved, flashed her lights and I waved back.. ha…i loved it

@Pura Vida, you are answering a question that has not been asked.
Yes, the truth hurst sometimes. ;)

@Pura Vida, you are answering a question that has not been asked.
Yes, the truth hurst sometimes. ;)
You asked why they wave, I answered why I think they wave. I think a 40 is just a jeep that is better in every way, and it is importable to deny a 40 looks just like a jeep because of the front fenders and round lights and square shape

It used to be mandatory in the US for every single car to have the exact same round headlight.
Pre-war, most cars had front fenders and lot of utility vehicles / trucks kept having them for a lot longer (utility not following the design trend).
Square shape, well again all utility vehicles back then !??
I’d agree with you, except for the fact that it isn’t a coincidence that the fj40 looks like a jeep. Toyota captured an American jeep in WW2, and developed a prototype called the AK10 from it. The AK10 turned into the Toyota BJ, and then the Toyota 20 series, and that turned into a 40 series, so it it quite literally an evolution of a jeep.

Read more about the AK10 and the history

Here:

I also made an Instagram post that shows THE EXACT JEEP that the Japanese captured in the Philippines, as well as the American they captured with the jeep

So distilling it down to some basic thoughts…people who drive anything out of the ordinary have to have a special character assignment to them. When I was a 2 wheel rider, anyone on 2 wheels was different. They had a sense of adventure …we waved at each other in a sign of “solidarity “? Who knows

people in corvettes probably give the high sign to one an other. Those of us in short wheel base, bouncy rough riding 4x4’s wave… we’re different people with a common cause. 👋🏻

Every Jeep guy I’ve ever known has been a FJ40 fan and thought my FJ40 had that cool factor. They just like a smoother, quieter and faster vehicle more suited to modern traffic. But they are envious of our slower, utilitarian and a little ruff-round-the edges mode of transport.

Most of us rural Texans wave to everyone, regardless of what they are driving, or used to - lots of city folks moving out here now and so it is getting more infrequent.

I only wave to lady Jeep drivers who wave to me. Everyone else should know with the word ‘Toyota‘ on the grill it’s not a Jeep thing. Now on the other hand, when heading out of the harbor, I wave to all boaters regardless if they are power or sail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom