FJ40 Restoration Sequencing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to add a 1976 FJ40 to the family and wanted yall's input on how I'm thinking I'll sequence all of this. Let me know if my thinking is wrong. Keep in mind that I'm hands-on, but I'm not comfortable tampering with the engine, which I won't be replacing. I'm a few beers deep, so bear with me:

1. Address any mechanical/engine related and/or repairs to get it "street legal"
2. Dismantle/remove anything necessary to fully determine what repairs are needed
3. Remove the tub and body panels (hardtop is already off) and send it off for rust repairs/painting
4. While painting is being done, repair/treat the frame
5. Reinstall the tub and body panels after being painted, reconnect systems
6. Begin addressing any interior/cabin work necessary
7. Lift, tires, retire from life

Let me know if I'm forgetting something.

Congrats. Some might suggest getting the truck drivable (drivetrain, brakes, steering). Then before launching into a lengthy resto drive it for a while and take a bit of time before going under the knife. There are plenty of stories of folks who acquire a vehicle, dismantle. Then life happens and the vehicle sits and sits.

1. Save boatloads of money
2. Address any mechanical/engine related and/or repairs to get it "street legal"
3. Dismantle/remove anything necessary to fully determine what repairs are needed
4. Start to order and collect needed parts.
5. Remove the tub and body panels (hardtop is already off) and send it off for rust repairs/painting
6. While painting is being done, repair/treat the frame
7. Reinstall the tub and body panels after being painted, reconnect systems
8. Begin addressing any interior/cabin work necessary
9. Lift, tires, enjoy life (retire from life sounds like u want to die :)

3. Remove the tub and body panels (hardtop is already off) and send it off for rust repairs/painting
4. While painting is being done, repair/treat the frame
I'm not sure about the extent of body/rust repairs you need...but thats not really how body work is done. If there are repairs
to the tub and other parts needed then it needs to be on the frame. A body shop will need to ensure fitment of parts
as it sits on its frame. You can ask around....but I doubt any body shop will take just a tub and set of parts.

I'm not sure about the extent of body/rust repairs you need...but thats not really how body work is done. If there are repairs
to the tub and other parts needed then it needs to be on the frame. A body shop will need to ensure fitment of parts
as it sits on its frame. You can ask around....but I doubt any body shop will take just a tub and set of parts.
Maybe I'm overthinking this but how would a paint shop make repairs to and paint all faces of the tub if it's mounted to the frame?

Maybe I'm overthinking this but how would a paint shop make repairs to and paint all faces of the tub if it's mounted to the frame?
Painting is a different topic. That doesn't deal with the structural fitment of body parts. I'm just saying if you have body panels that are going to need new steel. For instance a rear sill is often needed to be replaced....then the tub is normally left on its rolling stock to ensure that everything lines up correctly during the repair.

Won't the body shop dismantle and remove parts from the truck in order to access and unfasten the tub from the frame? I just assumed sending them a tub that's fully accessible from all sides would be best. That way they can just jump straight into it.

Painting is a different topic. That doesn't deal with the structural fitment of body parts. I'm just saying if you have body panels that are going to need new steel. For instance a rear sill is often needed to be replaced....then the tub is normally left on its rolling stock to ensure that everything lines up correctly during the repair.
Got it. That makes sense. I guess at the end of the day the truck is going to have to go to someone doing metal work and probably a different shop for the paint anyway. Thank you sir.

im in the leave it ON the frame to do any rust repairs / panel replacement camp - although you will find many doing it off the frame as well. i dont know what you are dealing with as no pics provided but the reason is dont expect everything to bolt back together after cutting out a lot of rusted panels. i'd do 1 at a time to minimize things getting out of wack. often when you cut out a rusted piece you will see the whole panel go booinng from the release of support - door gaps no longer fit, the top that use to fit now has issues, the hood and bib dont align etc, etc - all that needs to be pre-fitted and checked before paint or you will likely have a bad experience.

What’s the best way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

In the 43 years I have owned my FJ40 I have restored it 3 times. Here’s my suggestion on how to approach it- system by system.

Start with something basic- for example, go through the entire steering from the wheel to the tires. Get it all rebuilt, restored, repaired, 100%. Then do the brakes. Then the cooling/heating system, the electrical, dashboard knobs, etc on & on, so that you are restoring a running truck. Do the engine peripherals, i.e. carburetor, distributor, tuneup and such. It’s way easier to keep track of your work, track down parts and vendors, and manage costs. When you’re satisfied with it being factory fresh as close as you need it to be, then start making it look good. Body repair, paint, upholstery, etc. This way the sense of accomplishment comes often and momentum is good, and you will know your Land Cruiser inside out blindfolded.

If you park it and start unbolting parts and lay them off to the side, there’s a damn good chance you will never put it back together again. You’ll hang a for sale sign on what’s left of it, and be glad when it’s gone.

Ditto what others said on taking pictures, and tagging & bagging parts. Also- don’t throw anything away until the whole truck is finished.

just my 2 cents.

I second Igotta40, one bite at a time, take one thing and get it done, then the next and the next. Sometimes you will end up with multiple things apart at the same time, that's ok. too.
You get a sense of accomplishment getting something done and looking good (if you like things that way) or fully rebuilt internals, but leave the patina.
on my 76 FJ40, I started with the rear tail light assemblies, and that got me looking at the wiring (which was fried but somehow the tail lights still worked).

What’s the best way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

In the 43 years I have owned my FJ40 I have restored it 3 times. Here’s my suggestion on how to approach it- system by system.

Start with something basic- for example, go through the entire steering from the wheel to the tires. Get it all rebuilt, restored, repaired, 100%. Then do the brakes. Then the cooling/heating system, the electrical, dashboard knobs, etc on & on, so that you are restoring a running truck. Do the engine peripherals, i.e. carburetor, distributor, tuneup and such. It’s way easier to keep track of your work, track down parts and vendors, and manage costs. When you’re satisfied with it being factory fresh as close as you need it to be, then start making it look good. Body repair, paint, upholstery, etc. This way the sense of accomplishment comes often and momentum is good, and you will know your Land Cruiser inside out blindfolded.

If you park it and start unbolting parts and lay them off to the side, there’s a damn good chance you will never put it back together again. You’ll hang a for sale sign on what’s left of it, and be glad when it’s gone.

Ditto what others said on taking pictures, and tagging & bagging parts. Also- don’t throw anything away until the whole truck is finished.

just my 2 cents.

This has been my way of "restoring mine" I just go through one system at a time. some of the things that can wait I wait. over the corse of a few months I have gotten 70% of the body work that I want done and maybe 50% mechanical. I am repairing as I drive it. Basic stuff first like breaks then more complicated like getting the vintage vacuum 4x4 working. Its way more fun that way! And you really get to appreciate the work you are doing. Alot of my work has been getting it back to stock. For instance my next project is getting the correct tail lights and reflectors for a 1964 and rewiring the rear wiring for those. The little details start to add up! eventually I will find a stock 1f to put back in the old 40. the engine replacement will be my "its complete moment" I think.

I've been following these suggestions and taking things one system at a time and its been super satisfying. One thing I've been doing as things have been removed and repaired though is I've been grinding out all rust down to bare metal and spot priming the exposed areas with epoxy primer. Do you think my future bodywork guy is going to kill me for all of these war wounds? I'm not grinding anything unless there's obvious rust, but now my girl is starting to look like a cheetah.

Body shop guys are usually not happy with what you’ve already done. But DIY projects are part of the joy of owning a noisy, primitive, slow and generally uncomfortable FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom