Koso slim water temp gauge install (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well i installed my new Koso gauge today. Along with the gauge i replaced my 27 year old radiator with a brand new Toyota radiator. After getting everything installed, and hooked up, i did some testing. Driving around town today with an outside temp of 85, with the AC on, the gauge was showing a temp of 183 degrees. In my driveway it was showing 174 degrees at idle. I checked my new gauge to see how accurate it's readings were. I tested it against my Fluke thermocouple, my new gauge is accurate to within plus or minus 1 degree.

IMG_0371[1].JPG

IMG_0371[1].JPG

Last edited:
Well i installed my new Koso gauge today. Along with the gauge i replaced my 27 year old radiator with a brand new Toyota radiator. After getting everything installed, and hooked up, i did some testing. Driving around town today with an outside temp of 85, with the AC on, the gauge was showing a temp of 183 degrees. In my driveway it was showing 174 degrees at idle. I checked my new gauge to see how accurate it's reading were. I tested it against my Fluke thermocouple, my new gauge is accurate to within plus or minus 1 degree.

View attachment 2620777
This is good to know. I’ve always wondered about the accuracy of my Koso and now doubt the accuracy of my infrared thermometer. The infrared usually shows the outlet pipe, where the koso sender is, to be at least 10* lower than the Koso. Thanks for confirming the Koso.

This is good to know. I’ve always wondered about the accuracy of my Koso and now doubt the accuracy of my infrared thermometer. The infrared usually shows the outlet pipe, where the koso sender is, to be at least 10* lower than the Koso. Thanks for confirming the Koso.
Just as an FYI, i had the thermocouple of my Fluke meter feed inside the top tank of my radiator, reading the liquid coolant temp as it was being discharger from the engine. So yes, that little Koso gauge seems to be right on the money, when it comes to accurate temp readings.

Can anyone confirm in 2022 the thread pitch/standard for the KOSO super slim gauge sensor? Is it actually 1/8-27 NPT and NOT 1/8 (BSP) x 28?

I'd like to install it a glow shift 40mm adapter.

Can anyone confirm in 2022 the thread pitch/standard for the KOSO super slim gauge sensor? Is it actually 1/8-27 NPT and NOT 1/8 (BSP) x 28?

I bought them haven't installed them yet. Will take some pics of the unit and share it

I love my Koso coolant temp so much that i added another one for my transmission and tap and installed the sensor on the tranny pan. They work flawlessly and the coolant temp been in my rig for over 6 yrs now.View attachment 3227660
Its s different sensor right? For oil

Koso with T connector

20230124_163748.jpg

20230124_163703.jpg

20230124_163646.jpg

20230124_163638.jpg

20230124_163604.jpg

The thread is in fact 1/8 inch BSP, NOT, I Repeat NOT 1/8 inch NPT
1/8-27 npt
just as an FYI this is wrong information. I checked the sending unit with not only a 1/8 inch NPT thread gage, but also a 1/8 inch BSP thread gage, the threads on the sending unit are 1/8 inch BSP. In fact Koso dosent even offer a 1/8 inch NPT temp sending unit for sale on their web site.

A BSP threaded sensor will screw into a hole threaded with a 1/8X27 NPT tap. But since the thread pitch is off by 1 thread per inch, and this sensor uses a different thread angle (55 Degree versus 60 degree for NPT) i wouldn't recommend it.

The thread is in fact 1/8 inch BSP, NOT, I Repeat NOT 1/8 inch NPT

just as an FYI this is wrong information. I checked the sending unit with not only a 1/8 inch NPT thread gage, but also a 1/8 inch BSP thread gage, the threads on the sending unit are 1/8 inch BSP. In fact Koso dosent even offer a 1/8 inch NPT temp sending unit for sale on their web site.

A BSP threaded sensor will screw into a hole threaded with a 1/8X27 NPT tap. But since the thread pitch is off by 1 thread per inch, and this sensor uses a different thread angle (55 Degree versus 60 degree for NPT) i wouldn't recommend it.
Thanks for the verification on this.

I ordered a 40mm adapter with the NPT threads through amazon so returns are easy (just for this reason). I will do it the right way and source a BSP tap and mount it in the outlet pipe.

Thanks for the verification on this.

I ordered a 40mm adapter with the NPT threads through amazon so returns are easy (just for this reason). I will do it the right way and source a BSP tap and mount it in the outlet pipe.
Below you'll find a link to where you can source and buy a 1/8 inch BSP tap.

For the record; I installed a Koso some 7 years ago and as usual, I didn’t read the instructions and tapped the hole NPT. The sensor went in but not to my satisfaction so I added some grey permatex to the threads and it has yet to leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom