2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the LX600 having to bail on the race early. That wasn't a surprise to anyone, not because of the vehicle, it's capabilities or it's prep but rather their desire not to destroy the car, which would have happened given the rough race course this year and their limited (very stock) suspension and seat time in the car. It was always a 3-year plan for them. The car needed to be back in Japan for the Tokyo Auto Salon in presentable shape. It worked as they just partnered with Gazoo Racing for 2023+ support. The running condition we experienced in the car was imo related to the fuel system (fuel cell) required to race in SCORE. They used a typical fuel cell with a pair of basically what are feed pumps into a small canister that held the factory in-tank pump. This kept all of the factory telemetry in check as this vehicle still runs all of the factory system. It's possible the in-tank pump was experiencing some kind of volume or pressure fault with the aftermarket feed pump(s). We swapped a new factory fuel pump and switched back and forth between the redundant feed pumps with some change, but nothing that lasted more than a few miles before we were getting engine cut-out. They also suspect it may be related to a loose engine sensor that wasn't easily accessible but may have been taken off when the vehicle was fully stripped for race prep.

You don't have hours and hours to work on the car during the race, particularly early on when you're racing to get to the first check-point before it closes and you officially DNF. Unfortunately after attempts to swap a variety of parts with the JAOS pit crew (amazing technicians) and even re-flashing the computer, nothing worked for more than a few more miles which obviously meant the culprit was something else. I've not had a chance to catch up with them as they are all back in Japan and were crazy busy prepping for the Auto Salon this last weekend, I'm told it's all solved.

As for the reliability of the LX600 vs say the LX570. We first met Joe Bacal racing the earlier LX570 because he was stuck along the race course in the Bay of LA with a dead race car suffering from immobilizer/ECU issues. They solved that after a few races. We've now raced the 2nd LX570 build and finished 7 of 8 Baja 1000's (average in class is well under 50% finish) and 24/26 total desert races. I suspect the LX600 will see similar results as they sort the issues that pop up.

Alright, so since we’re back to the 300 again, is it possible that Toyota simply delayed it because they didn’t want to launch it in the same year as the tundra (2022) or the sequoia (2023)?

There will be no 300 Land Cruiser in the US Market. At least in the foreseeable future.

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the upcoming re-release of the LC in the USA / Canada. There is some good info becoming available as some dealers are starting to be a little more open to discussing the info they have. Full disclosure, I'm not a Toyota dealer. Here's what I've gathered so far from discussions with people that I know.

1- Canadian dealers were shown the actual vehicle before Xmas in the Toronto during a Toyota Canada dealer meeting. They had the opportunity to see the exterior and briefly sit in it. Cell phones and cameras were collected at the entry to prevent leaked photos.
2- Initial launch in Canada will be two trim models, both off-road focused, and will hit dealers by Nov/Dec '23.
3- The vehicle was best described as very similar in size and shape to the LX600, but with a beefier off-road appearance, and obviously missing the Lexus focus on luxury. This was a common description / comparison and it's because Canadian / American dealers aren't that familiar with the LC300 and can only compare to what they've seen (LX300).
4- The vehicle will slot in at approximately the same price range as the lower / middle trims of the Sequoia, and be a 5 seater. They will be more expensive than the existing 4Runner, including the 4R TRD Pro.
5- Doesn't appear to be a new Prado model, as that has already been seen in Japan and does not share the resemblance to the LC300 / LX600.

Separately, some news on the new 4Runner. It is extremely likely, as it is very much a North America only model, that it will change to share a platform with the new Tacoma, and move away from being the primary off-road focussed mid-sized SUV in the Toyota lineup, with the LC300-esque Land Cruiser taking that role.

Anyway, that's what I know at this time. Inviting others to post good info please. Lets not make this discussing of this one over that one, let's just post the info we gather from speaking to Toyota dealers that are avid fans of the Land Cruiser and can't wait to support the re-introduction of this timeless nameplate to North America!
Wondering if Toyota has anything planned at NADA in Dallas next weekend down the street from the US headquarters.

I hear the comments above about no 300 coming. I assume these statements are based on some knowledge not well known, and I’m happy to accept these statements as likely true. I still hope a 300 is available in ‘24 or ‘25. If it’s a land cruiser edition of a 4 runner or some other way to capitalize on the Land Cruiser name, I’ll be disappointed.

While I’m pining over the 300, I may as well add that I hope Toyota adds a tailgate :)

Wondering if Toyota has anything planned at NADA in Dallas next weekend down the street from the US headquarters.

I hear the comments above about no 300 coming. I assume these statements are based on some knowledge not well known, and I’m happy to accept these statements as likely true. I still hope a 300 is available in ‘24 or ‘25. If it’s a land cruiser edition of a 4 runner or some other way to capitalize on the Land Cruiser name, I’ll be disappointed.

While I’m pining over the 300, I may as well add that I hope Toyota adds a tailgate :)
Looks like you're local as well. Let's sneak in and report back.

Quick question for you Land Cruiser nerds. I understand the prado is a Land Cruiser.. I won’t poke that bear. But, aren’t the components such as front end parts much less beefier than the larger LC series like 80,100,200? In a similar contrast as the smaller 4Runner components are to the overbuilt LC components? (Cv axles, tie rod ends, etc). If so I don’t think I want a prado but will be happy a LC is coming to the states for people to enjoy

Toyota said that the FJ Cruiser was a Land Cruiser variant - so anything goes. (Actually it was more of a 4Runner variant). They can slap that badge on anything they want

Toyota said that the FJ Cruiser was a Land Cruiser variant - so anything goes. They can slap that badge on anything they want
Yea I understand that. I guess my question is..is all that true about the Prado that it is less beefier and less overbuilt than the other land cruiser series?

Quick question for you Land Cruiser nerds. I understand the prado is a Land Cruiser.. I won’t poke that bear. But, aren’t the components such as front end parts much less beefier than the larger LC series like 80,100,200? In a similar contrast as the smaller 4Runner components are to the overbuilt LC components? (Cv axles, tie rod ends, etc). If so I don’t think I want a prado but will be happy a LC is coming to the states for people to enjoy
This is how I understand it. Prado is basically a “Land Cruiser Lite” with less robust driveline components and a few compromises made that would not be so on the full fat LC.

That being said the Prado has a very strong reputation in the rest of the world for being a well built, capable, and reliable vehicle. IMO the current 150 platform is a superior vehicle to the current 4R. It offers full time 4WD, and a better power train. Unfortunately we only get it as GX460 here in North America and I’m pretty hot/cold on how Lexus has packaged and optioned the vehicle. It also loses points for me thanks to the predator grill, barn door, small spare tire carrier, and currently no OEM tow hitch.

This is how I understand it. Prado is basically a “Land Cruiser Lite” with less robust driveline components and a few compromises made that would not be so on the full fat LC.

That being said the Prado has a very strong reputation in the rest of the world for being a well built, capable, and reliable vehicle. IMO the current 150 platform is a superior vehicle to the current 4R. It offers full time 4WD, and a better power train. Unfortunately we only get it as GX460 here in North America and I’m pretty hot/cold on how Lexus has packaged and optioned the vehicle. It also loses points for me thanks to the predator grill, barn door, small spare tire carrier, and currently no OEM tow hitch.
Thanks for the reply. Well one good thing, maybe the parts will be cheaper

It's pretty year and fact specific. But as a general concept - yes. In many cases the comparable Prado is lighter duty components. It's not universally the case, but close to it. For example the 150 series (Prado/4Runner/GX) and LC200 shared the same engine/trans/transfer case in many cases where it was the 1GR v6 version of the LC200. But the LC has a 9.5" rear axle and 8.9" front clamshell where the 150 series has a 8.2" rear axle (that is remarkably strong as it turns out) and 8" front clamshell. The LC200 has significantly larger front steering components. Very comparable to 2500 series domestic USA truck parts. The 150 components are smaller. But I think the 150 parts are probably pretty comparable in strength to the LC100 and probably stronger in many cases than the LC80.

The Tundra and Sequoia are a size up in some cases from the LC200 or now LC300. It uses a size larger rear axle than the LC and a category larger transfer case - at least that's what I can best tell from what I've read. But mostly the same otherwise.

What's unknown is whether any of that will hold true going forward. Since they're all moving to a unified platform, it seems likely that many of those parts will now be shared by all of the BOF models. So they may all share many of those components. My guess is everything will share the same 10 speed transmission. And probably everything will share one of a few transfer cases depending on awd or 4x4 only. It seems reasonable to me that they would all likely share the same front suspension, hubs, cvs, and steering components. My guess is that the lighter duty version would probably have an 8" front clamshell vs the 8.9 or whatever it is for the LC, and possibly either the 8.2 or 8.75 rear axle instead of the 9.5 from the LC300/ non-hybrid Tundra. But Toyota could mix and match any combination now that they appear to all share the same suspension geometry and design and are unifying to a single platform. The lines start to get pretty blurry at some point with 2 different models converging on the same product offering.

What I hope is the case is that those parts are easy to swap around. Now that they all share the same 6 bolt pattern and coil rear end for example, a Tundra axle might be very easy swap into a 4Runner if you wanted a full width rear. And it may be the case in the next gen that you could swap tundra front end as well and go full width with all OEM IFS parts too. Might open a lot of opportunities for low cost long travel setups.

Last edited:

The NADA convention would not be the audience for a product debut or release announcement.

My bet is when the Land Cruiser nameplate returns to the US, it is on the lighter duty (GX, Prado) chassis.

The NADA convention would not be the audience for a product debut or release announcement.

My bet is when the Land Cruiser nameplate returns to the US, it is on the lighter duty (GX, Prado) chassis.
Not a public debut, but a quiet invitation only event off sight when many of the dealers would be in town anyway. If there was an event in Canada as mentioned above, who know how long Toyota will wait to start talking about it in the US. Who knows- maybe the other post is based on bad info- I don’t have a clue.

I do think new land cruiser buyers will know the difference between a 300 and an alternative whether it’s a paredo, an FJ cruiser, or a Land Cruiser edition of something else. I bought a 2014 new in DFW. I’m interested in a 300. Not that interested in a sequoia or the new paredo. 300 is such a great size- under the radar luxury vehicle.

Not sure what I buy next if it isn’t a 300. If I had to make a call today it would be a GMC Yukon, but no plans to buy anything for a couple more years. 300 with decent electronics would probably push me to buy, even without the tailgate :).

Didn't read the whole thread, but here's my 2 cents: IMHO Toyota has missed the boat (so far at least) by not bringing a complete redesigned Retro Land Cruiser (not an FJ Cruiser or rebadged GX---) to the US (or anywhere for that matter).

We could debate what it should look like and we'd all have our own favorite model, but a SUV (four and two door models??) with styling cues from the 60/70/80 series could be a game changer.

Key to marketing success IMHO would be to get away from the plain vanilla same-same mall cruiser styling, which is exactly what Ford did with their new Bronco. In just the first two years Ford has sold ~200,000 units of their new Retro model and has plans to expand sales to Europe some time later in 2023. They're already selling the new Bronco in the Middle East.

Ford Middle East (UAE):

FWIW

Last edited:
Didn't read the whole thread, but here's my 2 cents: IMHO Toyota has missed the boat (so far at least) by not bringing a complete redesigned Retro Land Cruiser (not an FJ Cruiser or rebadged GX---) to the US (or anywhere for that matter).

We could debate what it should look like and we'd all have our own favorite model, but a SUV (four and two door models??) with styling cues from the 60/70/80 series could be a game changer.

Key to marketing success IMHO would be to get away from the plain vanilla same-same mall cruiser styling, which is exactly what Ford did with their new Bronco. In just the first two years Ford has sold ~200,000 units of their new Retro model and has plans to expand sales to Europe some time later in 2023. They're already selling the new Bronco in the Middle East.

Ford Middle East (UAE):

FWIW
Completely agree. Build what the FJ Cruiser should have been. Price it like a Bronco/Wrangler. Count money. A little too much H3 in this for me, but it's close.
gr-forty-land-cruiser-front-q-1620013875.jpg

Maybe a repost and more speculation. However, he seems to be reasonably connected and this is consistent with T’s comments when it was announced the LC would be taking a pause and come back in the future most likely in a different more NA specific configuration.

Maybe a repost and more speculation. However, he seems to be reasonably connected and this is consistent with T’s comments when it was announced the LC would be taking a pause and come back in the future most likely in a different more NA specific configuration.

Do you still own all of those Cruisers? I’m in Knox too with two. Go Vols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom