Windshield Replacement Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy! After reading about the issues with using screws I made sure to locate an installer that would use the OEM rivets. He is here now installing the windshield. Just inserted the first rivet and it is not grabbing the moulding well, if that makes sense. Does not seal tightly and just is kind of loose, does not seal the moulding to the a-pillar tightly at all. Almost like the rivets are too small. Anyone have expereince with this? We are not seeing another option available, he is proposing to putty the rivet holes and use screws which I was really hoping to avoid. We are using part number 90269004053. The glass we are replacing was original and there are no additional holes, just the OEM rivets

The glass might be an oem toyota glass but it might have been replaced before. What commonly happens is that someone drills out the rivets and makes the hole bigger. I know a lot of people on her talk bad about using screws but I believe as long as it's done properly with sealant and as long as you don't live in the rust belt using screws is fine. Just make sure there's no bare metal anywhere and you should be fine.

Sounds like they're using a rivet gun that's not low profile (and therefore can't get in close enough to the rivet) or the holes were already drilled out previously.

If the holes are already drilled out, might as well use screws. The damage has been done.

If the holes are the proper size and the rivet just isn't compressing enough, then the rivet gun might be the issue.

There are also larger rivets available. You'd have to search on here. Someone ID'd them a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom