Back up lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I can recall, the HP36 bulbs do seem brighter than stock to me. But I am not sure on the stock bulb specs for comparison against the DD bulbs, so not 100% certain.

Also, the color temperature to me is a big improvement over the stock bulbs. If you watch the YouTube video posted earlier in this thread that shows how to swap the reverse bulbs, in the last 10 seconds there is a good comparison shot of stock vs a brighter LED.

I’ve been thinking about these, does anyone have any input to whether they fit or not?

That is annoying. Tough because the output is so much greater on the XPR.

I am going to try running them in my 2014 LX570 even though DD does not explicitly say they are compatible. Here’s hoping they fit.
Agree, wish I could get them to stay in more reliably because its a great bulb in terms of the light output. I’m not sure if there is any difference between the LC vs. LX backup bulb housing, but if you figure a way to get them to stay in reliably would love to know the trick - good luck!

Agree, wish I could get them to stay in more reliably because its a great bulb in terms of the light output. I’m not sure if there is any difference between the LC vs. LX backup bulb housing, but if you figure a way to get them to stay in reliably would love to know the trick - good luck!
That sucks. Your pic definitely reflects it falling out of the lugs.

I've got the XPR's and haven't had that issue. I'm wondering if the housing is different for 2016+ vs earlier models? Their output is great for sure.

That sucks. Your pic definitely reflects it falling out of the lugs.

I've got the XPR's and haven't had that issue. I'm wondering if the housing is different for 2016+ vs earlier models? Their output is great for sure.
Do you have a 16+ or earlier?

I have a set of Diode Dynamics LED bulbs in the reverse light housings plus the DD SSC2 Pro reverse light kit in the bumper. They have a red LED backlight. Works very well.

B69F8ADB-AC26-41F6-BB09-86D6E4BCFAE1.jpeg

Last edited:
In terms of replacement options for the OEM backup lights, I've used the XPR led backup bulbs from Diode Dynamics in my LC for a little over a year. I echo others comments that these are plug and play and the youtube video posted earlier in this thread shows how you can access the OEM backup bulbs.

While I love how bright the XPR bulbs are, I just switched them out today for DD's HP36 LED bulb. The main issue I've had with the XPR bulbs is that they regularly fall out of the socket under normal driving conditions. I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this, however it was happening to me maybe 1-2x a month and they are just not worth the frustration of having to fish out of the housing and re-install on a regular basis. I've tried to bend the socket connectors inward for a tighter connection to no avail. Also tried taping the bulb to the socket housing, however the tolerance is so narrow that you cannot even have 1 wrap of electrical tape and get the socket back into the light housing. I think the primary reasons they keep falling out is that (1) the XPR bulb is much larger and heavier than a standard bulb, (2) the XPR base seems slightly more narrow than other bulbs like the standard bulb or the HP36 and doesn't seem as solidly held in the socket, and (3) the backup bulb, when installed, is positioned ever so slightly in a downward position that gravity works against you (included a photo for reference). YMMV with these, but if someone figures out a way to keep the XPR bulbs in without them falling out of the socket regularly, I would love to hear.

For reference, I've also included a photo comparing the size and brightness of the DD XPR bulb to the HP36 bulb (XPR on left and HP36 on right in both photos).

View attachment 3223846

View attachment 3223849

View attachment 3223850
re the XPR bulbs - I had the exact same situation. Tried tape - nope. Tried pre bending the metal contacts on the vehicle for a tighter fight - nope. I eventually pulled out the solder gun and added the slightest amount of metal to the contacts on the bulb. Didn't take much at all. Very tight fit now and the bulb has stayed in place. Also - kind of a pain - when i close the upper part of the tailgate - I only drop it from a few inches so it doesn't slam into the lower half door

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom