LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know what you mean and yeah, it would be annoying but the steering wheel controls more than make up for it
my 02 LX doesn't have those unfortunately. I might just keep the head unit how it is and use that money for better speakers. That's audio quality is one of the few things I miss about the new car I had before this.

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but for those of you that have switched to a modern head unit and sourced a dash with the physical climate control buttons: do you sacrifice having physical audio buttons with this setup? I'm interested in updating everything but not sure I want to give up having a volume knob and previous/next track buttons.
I installed the Teyes (there's a separate thread on this in this forum) which leaves the volume knob which works with the unit. There's pros/cons with that unit you can read in the other thread, but you'll retain the volume knob.

Has anyone figured out how to send power to their sub? I have one of these screens and I just refoamed all my speakers. When I tested a song, I realized I don't think my subwoofer ever worked. I took my voltmeter to the connector that goes into the sub and I couldn't read any volts with the car on and music playing. Any ideas?

Hello Elle Ex and Wetwillie,

I did what Elle Ex told me in the settings and protocol and know I can see how the A/C was left before installing the tesla style screen but cannot control anything (attached are the images).

Wetwillie you think what I need is the green premium harness? Does it have to be sent from China or is there someone in the USA who has it?

Thank You Ellie Ex and Wetwillie for your help!

View attachment 2098091

View attachment 2098092
Hi, were you able tof ix your A/C issue?

I have the same situation and I cannot find the setting that someone suggest modifying to BNR with AC, when I go into settigns, there are several settings folders: Android SEttings, Factory settings, auto settings, and I have reviewed all of them and I cannot find that parameter that I need to change

Hi, were you able tof ix your A/C issue?

I have the same situation and I cannot find the setting that someone suggest modifying to BNR with AC, when I go into settigns, there are several settings folders: Android SEttings, Factory settings, auto settings, and I have reviewed all of them and I cannot find that parameter that I need to change
There should be one setting that's hidden behind a password

There is a password used to access "Factory settings" is 8888, accesignthat and reviewing all parameters I cannot find the one that I am looking for, let me get some pictures to share to see if someone recognizes those setting menus

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 8.56.09 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 8.56.10 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 8.56.10 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 8.56.10 AM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 8.56.10 AM.jpeg

I have a 2005 Land Cruiser. In attempting to replace the MultiFunction Display screen that was dim, I broke the 60 pin connection on the small printed circuit board. Has anyone who has converted to the Tesla screen got a display assembly they would be willing to sell if they no longer need it?

Not sure about LX, but LC100 does not have rear heating, it is only cooling. I think this is why it called Rear AC, and not climate.
I resolved my non-working controls by setting protocol to “BNR with AC”. And tech set to “LC100 HI”
Hi,
Could you please let me know where do I need to change this:

I resolved my non-working controls by setting protocol to “BNR with AC”. And tech set to “LC100 HI”

I have not had any luck finding these parameters inm y settings

I don’t have that issue. I’m really unimpressed with this head unit and I’m researching other options. So now wondering how difficult it is to reverse the Tesla style screen installation. After looking at another thread I really like the teyes cc3 unit but I’d need to find the hvac controls which is a whole other thing
I am really unhappy with my screen so far in the fact that it’s too digital, the volume control is touchscreen what a pain in the ass

Is there any way to make the steering wheel volume control work on these?

I am really unhappy with my screen so far in the fact that it’s too digital, the volume control is touchscreen what a pain in the ass

Is there any way to make the steering wheel volume control work on these?
My steering wheel controls work but I didn’t do the install so I’m not sure what was done. I agree with the “too digital” comment… there’s certain things that I definitely prefer a real knob or button for.
I think I’m going to start looking for the stock nav/radio/hvac controls and install the vline CarPlay adapter but I’m worried reversing the install on this screen is not going to be easy.

Hello Mud Community,

Over the last 9 months there has been some great headway made on the ZhiFang 12.1" Tesla style touchscreen radio with integrated climate controls. There are a few dedicated threads to specific installs and I figured it was about time to create a general discussion forum as lots of good install info if getting buried in these threads.

For those of you who have not seen this yet it seems to have started here: Tesla style head unit - has anyone seen this?

Specific installation experiences have been documented here:
Successfully installed a Tesla Style headunit into a 2005 LX470
"Tesla Style" found for older LX470/LC100
2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up

Here is what they look like: ( mistered123 I hope you're ok with me snagging your pics for reference)
BEFORE

AFTER

The quad core units were the first batch to come out late last year. Part #s are ZF-1301S. These used Android 7.1 and (once the wiring issues were worked out) they worked pretty well. Overall the hardware and OS where described as a little clunky, but a definite improvement over the original touch screen radios and cassette decks.

The six core units (PX6) are the latest batch out as a release of this post and are pretty good. Part # for the LC version is ZF-1301X. These are not showing up on the ZhiFang website yet, but they have ZhiFang's name on them. They look to have the same cables as the original quad core units but have worked through most of the wiring issues. Interfaces are crisp and fast with the only general complaint is the amount of time it takes to start up once you turn your key on. This is typically around 20 seconds. AC controls work great and utilize existing Toyota circuit boards as part of your original radio.

I'd like to send out BIG thanks to mistered123, LX470MK, Swainbuilt, Wetwillie, revoked, loeky, Ell Ex & all the others that have contributed so far with testing and Q&A.

These units are sold by a variety of online resellers, but they seem to be made by one manufacturer in China. They don't come with assembly or operations instructions...AND the technical support is lacking. Some have been buying from a US based radio shop, but it sounds like they were just buying these radios in bulk from China. Here is where you can find the PX6 chip set radios online for purchase:
The only thing I can tell different between the LX and LC versions is the additional side trim for the air vents as the LX trim tends to be in three pieces (one running the full width of the cassette deck) and the LC already has the appropriate vents.

Ell Ex has done a successful full install of the PX6 (6 core) units with Android in a 2006 LX470 with ML amp and custom apps. I'm in the middle of a full amp and speaker replacement with a 2004 LX470 and the PX6 unit. A few others have been working on 2003 and older installs. I've heard of a few people wanting to try these with non-nav (dedicated AC control version) 100 series trucks, but have not seen one yet.

The 2004 and newer seem to be plug and play for cables (once you figure out where they all go). There seem to still be a few extra plugs left over (3 in my case) that may have been part of the factory test.

The 2003 and older units are needing either another harness from the manufacturer or a few wire splices to work. There was a request for the "Top Model" wire harness for these truck to avoid splicing, but I cannot confirm its the final solution.

No confirmations I can find yet for getting the factory backup camera working. I'm looking at installing a new HD camera now to replace the 16 year old factory one. One in the back and one up front hopefully.

I am hoping to write up a first draft of an installation guide for my experiences on a full amp replacement and am willing to share with others to alter for 2003 and older versions as well as ML integrations/tips/tricks.

My hope is that this can be a source for good general information on the radio installs, applications, mods and troubleshooting and the model specific threads can serve those specific needs without getting cluttered with off topic discussions.

Hope you all find this helpful. I'll try to get my install guide uploaded soon.
PLEASE ADD YOUR EXPERIENCES AND COMMENTS.

************************************************************************************************
11/05/19 Update: Version 0.0 of the Install Guide Uploaded. Please review and private message me if you have suggestions for improvements or additions. Would really like to add sections for 2003 and older installs and any other variations seen. Also, any suggestions for App are appreciated.
************************************************************************************************
Any updates on the Install Guide v 0.0 available?

Has anybody started to experience a very slow battery drain after installing a new screen/unit? MY LX battery has twice drained completely after ~2 weeks of sitting. This did not happen prior to the install. I did notice corrosion building up on the battery bracket, not the terminals, which is abnormal. The battery itself seems fine. I just self-jump with the second battery and it maintains charge as long as I drive it.

I have a 2005 Land Cruiser. In attempting to replace the MultiFunction Display screen that was dim, I broke the 60 pin connection on the small printed circuit board. Has anyone who has converted to the Tesla screen got a display assembly they would be willing to sell if they no longer need it?

Last edited:
View attachment 3180053

Here she is fully installed after 3+ days of fiddling with it (mainly Canbus settings). Overall, I’m pleased. It would look factory if the LEDs were green (project for another time). It’s not perfect, but I would say it is a plug-n-play solution for the 98-02 LX470 factory nav.
This looks perfect for us pre-03 nav guys

WTB did the harness need altering at all or was it genuinely plug and play? Does everything still work ok in the vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom