Builds 2007 GX470 Build Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good! I also have the coastal off-road bumper and it really changes the look of the gx470
Anything to pull from the soccer mom vibe. It’s now to the point where most people are like holy crap that’s a Lexus!

Small update. Parents got me JW OffRoad chase brackets and a sick set of Amazon LED’s for Christmas.

27A30C25-EBCF-4879-9766-2D780ECEF4BC.jpeg

8101A84F-1CF7-43EB-AA9E-F884349C2817.jpeg

8F4B9DA9-953A-42B5-86EA-75EDEAE729A4.jpeg

3A464F22-9BFE-4D3D-BAD4-8432ECA064C4.jpeg

I almost forgot, almost over Christmas, my brother located some properly sized Lexus center cap emblems that I hadn't realized I really needed.

5334C9E4-FB37-4113-B1D6-D976835EC2C9.jpeg

9AEC2FA1-AFF0-4BD9-82F2-B108905B57C0.jpeg

Last edited:
The Coastal Offroad rear bumper arrived some time ago, followed by the 4xinnovations swing out a few weeks back. I went to my brother's place over the weekend and we got the bumper knocked out. Strangely though as we were piecing the bumper together we noticed a solid gap, consistent all the way around. I checked my order and had ordered a bumper for a GX with 2" of body lift, but the pieces just weren't measuring up.

5498A3EE-4529-4DE5-A8B9-34C8FC61F659.jpeg

AE8C3E51-DA3E-439A-9E92-F6A1AC44373C.jpeg

0ADE6B6F-8B04-4933-892F-AEB9CB8FB4FC.jpeg

7776F26A-6E80-41B7-AAD8-30DC55DCD12A.jpeg

339F4A12-2FE7-401E-A727-BB63A3351C67.jpeg

Last edited:
Break for Lunch, then proceed.

DA06B14A-18E4-42E9-9E16-F06CC099DA31.jpeg

7BFB8E31-5E38-4323-84CA-20A87BDA6678.jpeg

2B7B112F-354D-4291-A83E-0EE1198357CF.jpeg

CB574717-2365-48CD-9539-1030B3123BA9.jpeg

2CEAD18F-0048-455E-86CE-4DB649E2B6DA.jpeg

The spare isn't staying, I just needed space for groceries in the truck. It also looks like ass hanging out back there.

Body gap on hold.

Last edited:
Break for Lunch, then proceed.

View attachment 3222997

View attachment 3222998

View attachment 3222999

View attachment 3223001

View attachment 3223002

The spare isn't staying, I just needed space for groceries in the truck. It also looks like ass hanging out back there.
It'll look good once you get the filler plates and swing out on! I've been wanting to move my spare to the rear door but all the mounts are around $900 and I just haven't talked myself into buying one. Where are you located in Florida? I see palm beach on the plates, I'm just north in port st lucie.

It'll look good once you get the filler plates and swing out on! I've been wanting to move my spare to the rear door but all the mounts are around $900 and I just haven't talked myself into buying one. Where are you located in Florida? I see palm beach on the plates, I'm just north in port st lucie.
I’m in in Jupiter. I liked the idea of the rear door carrier but knew I was headed to 35’s straight out of the gate and then to 37’s as
my forever size so the door wouldn't support what I was planning. The other option I arrived right before Coastal Fab came out with this was the running 4 tacos rear bumper with a swing out adapted, or the other company Ascend fab or something. Both were clean and tidy.

See some wisdom from the GX overload about running 35"+ tires. I've already bent a tie rod and I'm sure I'll break a CV soon and I'm only running 285/70/17 MTs. With 34"+ tires you're going to be spending a lot of money on stronger parts and you'll want to regear...an 8.2" rear plus lockers and gearing is $10k from ECGS and add another $2-3k if you go 9" plus then you need some RCV axles or you'll be snapping CVs so thats another $2.2k minimum and you'll start breaking steering racks if you play in the rocks so thats $3k on the low end or if you go RCLT then $15k-20k. $30-40k is a lot to run 35-37" tires without consistently breaking things. I wish I knew this when I started but just FYI

It'll look good once you get the filler plates and swing out on! I've been wanting to move my spare to the rear door but all the mounts are around $900 and I just haven't talked myself into buying one. Where are you located in Florida? I see palm beach on the plates, I'm just north in port st lucie.Filler plates on hold
See some wisdom from the GX overload about running 35"+ tires. I've already bent a tie rod and I'm sure I'll break a CV soon and I'm only running 285/70/17 MTs. With 34"+ tires you're going to be spending a lot of money on stronger parts and you'll want to regear...an 8.2" rear plus lockers and gearing is $10k from ECGS and add another $2-3k if you go 9" plus then you need some RCV axles or you'll be snapping CVs so thats another $2.2k minimum and you'll start breaking steering racks if you play in the rocks so thats $3k on the low end or if you go RCLT then $15k-20k. $30-40k is a lot to run 35-37" tires without consistently breaking things. I wish I knew this when I started but just FYI

Yea, I’ve been around the Toyota platforms for some time. You don’t need all that stuff, if you don’t drive like an a******. Got back from WindRock in June ran black trails with 35’s on the GX. No problems.

Last edited:
Beard, no beard? From holding the metal with a helmet, eating taco’s, and then clean shaven? I’m confused. It happens all the time. Nice additions.

Beard, no beard? From holding the metal with a helmet, eating taco’s, and then clean shaven? I’m confused. It happens all the time. Nice additions.
Started the day with my Blue Steel Look, then welded and ate tacos, grew a full beard, and like that it’s Magic.

At that point it's more cost effective to buy a RZR and tow it with the GX!

At that point it's more cost effective to buy a RZR and tow it with the GX!
True, but it depends on your approach and what you're trying to accomplish. Some of the Captains numbers aren't / couldn't possibly be accurate. The 8.0" is the weak link in this equation and I'll run mine until I cannot. I had the same axle in my 3rd gen and she was pushing not much less hp than the gx, with no teeth-shearing curiosity. I had 4.88's 35's and an LSD. 1/2 the issue with the GC shedding teeth is the stock gears and getting shocked by crapheads sending it on obstacles. Others die of natural causes. Granted the GX weighs 1/2 a ton more than the 3G 4R, but again driver discipline plays a massive role. I do have plans for a different rear axle that as of right now no one has tried, I would like to move the rear axle back about 3" for a better center on 37's.

More importantly, the 1st upgrades necessary are the ones I have outlined in this build. Steel Skids, lower links, sliders, bumpers. I', not a big fan of FAFO, because as a youth I learned the hard lessons. I

Last edited:
So round 2 on the Coastal Offroad rear bumper. This one is the correct 2" BL model, and the fit is oh-so-good.

3D41BBC1-BA45-4749-A916-C57B5B8350F6.jpeg

400D66AD-595A-4A10-8BE3-ED3894F2D5E2.jpeg

01321D9A-4B14-4EC1-AA7E-6A42557F106A.jpeg

CBFD78A8-EC7B-486C-B2F5-29BF40E8128E.jpeg

Did the jeep tailgate table mod, I was going to build one but for $55 this saved me some time and $$.

A57DF539-CD33-4E2D-8E9C-8E5286D1CE33.jpeg

E9C394BB-CC5D-4945-8C8B-AD943E978C54.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the standard Coastal Offroad bumper paired with the 4xInnovations swingout (with an added 2" receiver for the bike rack). It is very stable even though I don't have a strike plate installed, even with 2 mountain bikes and the 34" spare hanging on the back. Just the latch and double sheer hinge hold it in place. I see no reason that would stop you from mounting the swingout the same way as me for the new ultra high clearance bumper as long as there is enough real estate on the rear plate of the bumper for the hinge.

View attachment 3194921

View attachment 3194922

View attachment 3194923

View attachment 3194924
@NJGX

Good looking rig!
Props on the Coastal bumper and swing-out.
How do you like your added receiver for the bike rack? What kind of rack do you use there, tray, vertical, top-tube, etc?

What's your overall opinion/review of the coastal, all-in (cost, fab time and effort, finishing method and co$t, etc?

I'm shopping a couple different bumpers and gather info . . . 🤙🏼

Thanks!

@NJGX

Good looking rig!
Props on the Coastal bumper and swing-out.
How do you like your added receiver for the bike rack? What kind of rack do you use there, tray, vertical, top-tube, etc?

What's your overall opinion/review of the coastal, all-in (cost, fab time and effort, finishing method and co$t, etc?

I'm shopping a couple different bumpers and gather info . . . 🤙🏼

Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment. The extra receiver is great to have imo. It still allows the main receiver to be used for towing/recovery if I have my bike back there. It also moves the rack/bike up high enough where I don't have to worry too much about it dragging. If I were to use the lower receiver for the rack, my departure angle would suffer and I'd always be worried about it hitting. I use a 1up tray style rack. It can still fold upright to be tight against the spare when empty but still mounted. Everything is sturdy and nothing rattles back there.

The only downside is that my spare tire size is limited due to the centered placement of the bike receiver. I am running a 285/75r17 (34") spare back there now and can just fit my fingers between the tire and receiver, so I'm guessing a 35" spare is my limit. I could have offset the bike receiver more to the driver's side for more spare clearance, but I wanted to keep both receivers lined up in the center.

The Coastal kit is a great value if you have the time and tools to DIY. Probably not so great of a value if you have to pay a fab shop and powder coater to get it done for you though. I took my time with building it, so it took a few days. Tacking it up took an evening. Welding and grinding took me a full day since I had to figure out the swingarm/latch fitment. In the end, it all fit together nicely and it was relatively easy to modify it for my specific needs.

Priming, painting/bed lining, and clear coating took the longest since I wanted to follow the directions of the products I used to ensure a nice and durable finish. After grinding and priming everything, I painted the inside with heavy duty tractor and implement paint and went heavy on the clear coat to seal it up. I live in the northeast where they use tons of road salt, so I did not want the have all of my hard work rusting from the inside out after one winter. The outside of the bumper is just a bunch of rattle can Rustoleum pro grade truck bed liner with more clear coat. It is easy to touch up bed liner and it hides imperfections very nicely. The clear coat makes it easier to clean and should keep the bed liner from fading due to UV exposure.

Thanks for the compliment. The extra receiver is great to have imo. It still allows the main receiver to be used for towing/recovery if I have my bike back there. It also moves the rack/bike up high enough where I don't have to worry too much about it dragging. If I were to use the lower receiver for the rack, my departure angle would suffer and I'd always be worried about it hitting. I use a 1up tray style rack. It can still fold upright to be tight against the spare when empty but still mounted. Everything is sturdy and nothing rattles back there.

The only downside is that my spare tire size is limited due to the centered placement of the bike receiver. I am running a 285/75r17 (34") spare back there now and can just fit my fingers between the tire and receiver, so I'm guessing a 35" spare is my limit. I could have offset the bike receiver more to the driver's side for more spare clearance, but I wanted to keep both receivers lined up in the center.

The Coastal kit is a great value if you have the time and tools to DIY. Probably not so great of a value if you have to pay a fab shop and powder coater to get it done for you though. I took my time with building it, so it took a few days. Tacking it up took an evening. Welding and grinding took me a full day since I had to figure out the swingarm/latch fitment. In the end, it all fit together nicely and it was relatively easy to modify it for my specific needs.

Priming, painting/bed lining, and clear coating took the longest since I wanted to follow the directions of the products I used to ensure a nice and durable finish. After grinding and priming everything, I painted the inside with heavy duty tractor and implement paint and went heavy on the clear coat to seal it up. I live in the northeast where they use tons of road salt, so I did not want the have all of my hard work rusting from the inside out after one winter. The outside of the bumper is just a bunch of rattle can Rustoleum pro grade truck bed liner with more clear coat. It is easy to touch up bed liner and it hides imperfections very nicely. The clear coat makes it easier to clean and should keep the bed liner from fading due to UV exposure.
Posts #43 vs. #65 and #75, it looks like the low profile bumper vs. the high clearance (removed rear member and weld in bar with receiver) bumper now...

20220927_195923-jpg.3194923
400d66ad-595a-4a10-8be3-ed3894f2d5e2-jpeg.3256152
2cead18f-0048-455e-86ce-4db649e2b6da-jpeg.3223002

Is this accurate? did you change bumpers are are these different rigs?
*edit, duh, silver low profile, pearl high clearance (with botched 2" body lift kit bumper for the first build-up...) ;) 🤦‍♂️

That's good beta on finish! Sounds like you done it right especially for your road conditions and climate.

You mention max tire size, our plan was to have a little more poke on the swing-out receiver than on the bumper receiver. Additionally, I didn't like the offset tire on the 4x4 innovations swing, so cutting it off and welding its center is in the works. To gain vertical clearance sections of 2" can be welded together on an angle. I am using a KUAT extension at the moment to get the bike away from the spare and they claim 10". The receiver height on the high clearance model is up there, so flipping the KUAT extension will drop it a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom