Restoring 80 Series Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds good, when can we start bringing our old ratty wheels down to get this done?

Do you plan to get the wheels sprayed with a catalyzed clear coat (Autobody shop, SprayMax can)??

Sounds good, when can we start bringing our old ratty wheels down to get this done?

Do you plan to get the wheels sprayed with a catalyzed clear coat (Autobody shop, SprayMax can)??
Once I finish out a few sets, I will let you know 👍

I'm not sure what type of clearcoat I'm going to apply. I will try a few things and see what works the very best.

Doing this for others, I would imagine that you would ship me your wheels and I would complete them and send them back.

I am amazed at the results. Who'da thunk.

Cerakote Clear maybe?

Cerakote Clear maybe?

That could be a possibility. There is a Powdercoater next-door. He thinks we should go with a acrylic powder coat clear, so we will try once it like that.

FWIW the same company owns both Cerakote and Prismatic Powders, so maybe their tech line would know which is best?? IDK

That's good to know, thank you 👍

OH! Now the link works. Cheater Cheater you use a biga$$ lathe!
I thought you actually some crazy kraut space magic thing going on.

In my best Yoda
Impressive, that is.
The lay lines you've kept. Over-polishing the corners, you have not.

What sorcery is this that doesn't require a lathe?
I'll admit, it's cheating. I can't wait until they are finished. I'm doing my fourth set right now. A fifth set tomorrow. Trying a few different things along the way for finishing them.

What inserts are you using? To get the rainbow effect you want to minimize the distance between cut spikes width, without wiping out all of the cut spike, so a really pointy insert at enough FPR to create a "diffraction grating effect". If you want them to look polished, go with a wide insert and a low feed per rev, it'll "wipe" the turned face.

What inserts are you using? To get the rainbow effect you want to minimize the distance between cut spikes width, without wiping out all of the cut spike, so a really pointy insert at enough FPR to create a "diffraction grating effect". If you want them to look polished, go with a wide insert and a low feed per rev, it'll "wipe" the turned face.
We're using a fairly wide insert, could do a lower feed per rev. May take it lower and see the results. I think we're dialed in though.

Powdercoated acrylic clear last night. The results are absolutely stunning! And I have another said on a vibrating lap, curious to see the difference.

4947CE83-8A75-44AD-AB77-06EF2815B60D.jpeg

That's beautiful. :cheers:

Are the pockets blasted? that would seem to be the only way to clean them up.

We're using a fairly wide insert, could do a lower feed per rev. May take it lower and see the results. I think we're dialed in though.
Sent you a message. Would love to get the technical drawing or some dimensions on this wheel.

Are the pockets blasted? that would seem to be the only way to clean them up.
I blasted them slightly to clean up the pockets. I think what made the second biggest difference is putting them on a huge flat vibrating lap that is supposed to be for pieces of granite. That made a huge difference in the pockets.

What, if anything, did you do to the back sides?

Nice. Easier to keep clean as well. :steer:

Nice. Easier to keep clean as well. :steer:
Exactly. The powder coat clear on the inside will protect them for a good long time and makes them easy to clean up, inside and out. :banana:

That's right sexy! Well done.

Are the pockets blasted and/or ?lapped then the clear coat, no other paint/color added? Just wondering how the pockets came out looking so perfect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom