Builds 1995 full resto build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gathering from reading the entire thread, no off topic and don't dare ask about parts or where to resource them. Noted. Wouldn't want to be chastised for knowledge gain or curiosity. But hey, solid work and BEAUTIFUL job. Thats allowed, right? Forums are weird anymore.

I got on the internet in 1997 to do “truck” stuff. I been on forums since 1999, on here a long time as well.

A build thread for me (and perhaps others since I got the etiquette on forums back in the day from other people) has always been about the build. The Cruiser. When a build thread gets littered with parts inquiry’s or way worse, the “you are doing it wrong” type comments, it detracts and clutters up the build thread. Which makes it harder and tiresome in the future to find relevant “build” info. Owners of Cruisers also often use a build thread to present the Cruiser at time of sale. The chat and other stuff already mentioned doesn’t help that cause.

There is a place for parts inquiries, a place for chat too. I always welcome specific questions regarding the specific build which I think I have answered those questions in this thread.

Maybe I am just “old school”? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Maybe I am just “old school”? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers
Nah just organized and methodical in your thinking. Much Respect for your work and also for taking the time to share it with everyone.

Just read the whole thread. Impressive work, to say the least. It really will be better than new when you're done with it.

Are those jacklegs done with the interior yet??

The gasket is bonded to the glass. Toyota only sells it as an assembly with the glass.

Cheers
How much of a pain in the arse, or not, is replacing the sunroof glass? I ask because so few do it. I know that the plastic trim bits are super crispy, and hard to find replacements, which in and of itself will also be super crispy from decades of UV exposure.

TIA

How much of a pain in the arse, or not, is replacing the sunroof glass? I ask because so few do it. I know that the plastic trim bits are super crispy, and hard to find replacements, which in and of itself will also be super crispy from decades of UV exposure.

TIA

Got to pull the headliner, drop the whole sunroof pan, tear it down, re-assemble and install back in the Cruiser as an assembly. If it wasn’t for the headliner it wouldn’t be to bad.

Plastic trim pieces are still available in grey.

Cheers

A bit of build content.

We needed to replace these and I didn’t have them before the Cruiser went to the interior shop.

6338655F-8C0A-4C8B-A518-56609A3D957D.jpeg

I needed to also pick this up so we can assemble the sunroof and take it to the interior shop.

04F40B78-9515-4E5E-AF5B-2079AEEBF11F.jpeg

More pics of the covering to come. We (mostly me) went back and forth about wrapping the headliner in leather or vinyl. Personally I really dislike the 95-97 fuzzy headliner and pillar trim coverings. The one piece headliner rocks compared to 91-94 80’s but the earlier ones the vinyl is so much better. Why? Well you can’t clean that 95-97 fuzzy very easily. We are also finding that after all these years the glue bleeds through and it just looks nasty with no real way to fix. We eventually settled on a headliner fabric that is shampoo-able and is fairly similar to vinyl. I like it. @ohsix picked out the color. Whole headliner and all the pillar trim pieces are getting wrapped with it.

Cheers

A bit of build content.

We needed to replace these and I didn’t have them before the Cruiser went to the interior shop.

View attachment 3222484

I needed to also pick this up so we can assemble the sunroof and take it to the interior shop.

View attachment 3222483

More pics of the covering to come. We (mostly me) went back and forth about wrapping the headliner in leather or vinyl. Personally I really dislike the 95-97 fuzzy headliner and pillar trim coverings. The one piece headliner rocks compared to 91-94 80’s but the earlier ones the vinyl is so much better. Why? Well you can’t clean that 95-97 fuzzy very easily. We are also finding that after all these years the glue bleeds through and it just looks nasty with no real way to fix. We eventually settled on a headliner fabric that is shampoo-able and is fairly similar to vinyl. I like it. @ohsix picked out the color. Whole headliner and all the pillar trim pieces are getting wrapped with it.

Cheers
What is it?

A bit of build content.

View attachment 3222484

View attachment 3222483

Cheers
Clarification: What is this, if you can say: "a headliner fabric that is shampoo-able and is fairly similar to vinyl." Not really a fan of vinyl myself, and leather doesn't last...

Last edited:
It’s a flat knit, foam backed headliner material.
Seems like you might be able to do a light clean with a vacuum, which is what ICON recommends for their Alcantara liners. Less wear on the material…

Do you mind sharing the manufacture of the fabric you decided on? I agree on the OEM fabric and hate it and have mine out needing to get redone before I put it back in. I was also leaning towards some sort of non perforated vinyl but have really never seen it installed. Any advise on removing the sunroof card without destroying a working sunroof would be a bonus:) Nice work as always...

20230120_110029.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 11-04-03 6320160012 - Glass sub-assembly sliding roof - Genuine Toyot...png
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 11-03-03 6320160023 - Glass sub-assembly sliding roof - Genuine Toyot...png

Reactions: 2JG
I bought one. Screw it. If it doesn’t fit I’ll sell it to a mud dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom