Stlca chit-chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get the whole carpet bagger mentality, but people migrating to the state and bringing tons of money with them is always a good thing as I see it. Maybe not for real estate prices (driving them up) but all else is a net gain right? Once they get there they have a right to be represented, and there are tons of red leaning people in Cali, so I'm not sure why there is disdain.

The state's economy growing, creating more high paying jobs, more taxpayers, which then means more funds for infrastructure and other services that everyone benefits from. How is this bad?

To share my perspective, I grew up in upstate NY and moved to NC nearly 12 years ago. I pay taxes and support local businesses. NY is very similar to CA in a lot of ways.

I'm coming from a point of curiosity, not criticism. I'm curious to learn more about your perspectives.
All very good points and I honestly have no disdain for any of our new arrivals. However to offer a couple of counter points.

Bringing money into the state and increasing pay is great, however the real estate market is a rub to me. I have lived here all my life, grew up in west TN, moved to mid-TN about 12 years ago. Folks moving into the area from high cost states has made it particularly difficult for folks that grew up here to have much upward mobility in housing. If you sell a high dollar house in California or NY, you probably have cash in your pocket which means you can pay above asking for a house that I would likely have to finance. I can get a loan for the appraised value, bit no more. So now folks who don't have that cash can't move up. It does increase overall values, but that also drives up my loan amount, which means now the house appraises, but I can't afford the loan payment. That's nothing new, but I know a number of folks that caught in this scenario.

The other main thing I see is that folks move here without any real research. They get here and then start asking why we don't have sidewalks, mass transit or more street lights. They move to a small rural community but then complain that they don't have "x" store around. Do your research and know what you're getting to before you move into an area.

But the thing I have seen that does grind on me a little, and this I have witnessed first hand, (and I know this is not typical of all, but I have seen it more than once) is the entitled attitudes of some. They seem to think that we are all backwoods bumpkins and that they are some how blessing us with their money and presence. They come in small local restaurants and act like they are the VIPs and deserve special treatment. I've seen them just walk in and move tables and just generally act like buttholes. Again, I know this isn't typical and I know some locals who can generally be buttholes too. But it's a different kind of butthole, not sure if that makes sense or not.

I have a rather unique perspective as I work in the public utility sector and know alot about how they make the sausage if you will and I honestly have my opinions on how my county's regulations and how they need to make some changes to curb some of the growth in my area. But that's just me.

Again, I agree with your points and I don't have an issue with folks moving in as long as they come to improve the community as a whole and don't come thinking they're gonna slide in here and save all of us country folks from ourselves.

I agree on all points. Entitled people who treat others as beneath them deserve a special place in hell, or whatever comes next.

The real estate market is a tough nut, and I feel you. We are seeing the impacts here too. s***, if I sold my house to make a profit, I couldn't afford to buy it again, lol.

Yep, that's exactly where we are around here.

In a twisted way. it is nice to hear that it is not just Georgia seeing these issues.

Regarding the attitudes of entitlement and superiority, it has been my experience that is part of the larger anti-rural perspective gripping this nation. I grew up on a farm in Illinois and had no idea that everyone not living in Chicago or other major urban center were viewed as ignorant inbred trash. Consequently, my freshman year at college was a major shock to see this and experience the foolish discrimination stemming from this attitude. However, it also appears that these attitudes are amp'd up regarding urban perspectives in how they look down at the southeastern states and everyone living here.

I doubt that the anti-rural bias will ever end because our media continues to fuel / propagate this. In college, I enjoyed dealing with such bias by out performing them academically. Now I take pleasure from the fact that our (per capita) quality of life and standard of living are higher here than in NYC / Chicago / LA /... I just hope the new influx don't ruin it by bringing the failures/mistakes with them from where they are fleeing.

Well after reading all of those posts, I’d just like to say that I’m looking forward to my family and I starting our new lives in TN. We are leaving California looking for a better way of life, better upbringing for my son and future kid, and living in a state that supports my line of work, my beliefs and values. Lastly, I love my guns, whiskey and America.

Last edited:
anyone notice difference in price between parts listed on napa web site (whatever your local store is) vs the price in the actual store. Local purchase , tax applies either way.

Seems like you can get on the "net" order a part that is in stock, pay online, go to store and pickup.... price better than just simply driving to store and paying for whatever you want in person as "drive in customer".

Kind of stupid.... I bought something the other day and it seemed rather high (15 ton bottle jack) a few days later I checked the price on the "web" for the same store , same product..... far better buy doing the web approach and driving down to pick up.

Normally I don't check stuff, but this time I did and did not come away with a sense of fairness with respect to the advertised price vs what the in-store price is for teh exact same product ....

getting to the point that I don't buy much of anything in person, except for what does not make sense to get on-line or its something I need in real time.

always wanted to support the local guy....one bite of my @$$ stings, two bites burn...:) :bounce2:

Take it back and ask them to either give you the difference or return it, then buy it online and pick it up at the store.

anyone notice difference in price between parts listed on napa web site (whatever your local store is) vs the price in the actual store. Local purchase , tax applies either way.

Seems like you can get on the "net" order a part that is in stock, pay online, go to store and pickup.... price better than just simply driving to store and paying for whatever you want in person as "drive in customer".

Kind of stupid.... I bought something the other day and it seemed rather high (15 ton bottle jack) a few days later I checked the price on the "web" for the same store , same product..... far better buy doing the web approach and driving down to pick up.

Normally I don't check stuff, but this time I did and did not come away with a sense of fairness with respect to the advertised price vs what the in-store price is for teh exact same product ....

getting to the point that I don't buy much of anything in person, except for what does not make sense to get on-line or its something I need in real time.

always wanted to support the local guy....one bite of my @$$ stings, two bites burn...:) :bounce2:
A lot of retailers do this and I really don't understand why. I worked for NAPA when they first launched their online program and it was baffling to me as to why they did it that way. Their explanation was that by ordering online, your not using the peron behind the counter so they were able to discount the product. In my eyes, it was just a way to replace people with e-commerce.

Take it back and ask them to either give you the difference or return it, then buy it online and pick it up at the store.

yea... I was just pointing out the "stupid"....of the strategy.

A lot of retailers do this and I really don't understand why. I worked for NAPA when they first launched their online program and it was baffling to me as to why they did it that way. Their explanation was that by ordering online, your not using the peron behind the counter so they were able to discount the product. In my eyes, it was just a way to replace people with e-commerce.

if it was some trival amount I would not care....in my case it was more than trival vs price of the part.

A POS to the internet vs a POS in person......... Napa needs to tune up their web front end and some things are hell to find or even impossible.

Just the point of order on the price....if a few dollars I could care less....but this was more than that and I got the @$$ about it.

piss poor approach, if I were going to do that then the price would be the same or I would not have a internet POS, or the internet would be order and ship only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom