Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple of pics from my field trip to Classic Cruisers today. Received a good bill of health on a couple items. They say that the clutch looks almost new and that there's cross hatching visible on every cylinder wall (boroscope pics coming). Transfer case was on the bench and torn down. It was really nice to see this thing coming along today.

Been educating myself on the different distributors. Thanks @MDH33, you're correct about needing to change that distributor to Vacuum Advance, it's in the works.

20221227_133116.jpg

20221227_132725.jpg

20221227_132713.jpg

20221227_132248.jpg

I compiled distributor information from various sources and have deduced the following regarding Vacuum Andvance vs. Retard (please feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding):

The Vacuum Retard Distributor is an emissions compliant device that started in '68 with the F145. It causes lower performance and higher engine operating temps, but better fuel economy.

The Vacuum Advance Distributor is pre-emissions device and the proper unit for the F135. It causes higher performance and cooler operating Temps, but worse fuel economy.

Here's the Vacuum Advance I pulled from the LV's original F135 that will be going on the new F135. It seems to be in decent shape, even had some old proper Yazaki plug wires still on it.

20221227_074846.jpg

20221227_074859.jpg

Last edited:
You may want to send it off to @4Cruisers. He is a distributor whisperer. I had an old distributor that i sent to him and he made it look like new...and properly running. These old distributors can develop a wobble in the shaft and that leads to poor ignition so they often need to be totally rebuilt.

You may want to send it off to @4Cruisers. He is a distributor whisperer. I had an old distributor that i sent to him and he made it look like new...and properly running. These old distributors can develop a wobble in the shaft and that leads to poor ignition so they often need to be totally rebuilt.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm on it.

Good stuff. You'll have a lot better results tuning with that vacuum advance distributor with your setup.

Cool to see and hear it running! I kind of cringed though seeing that temp guage spiked and the cooling system disconnected.

Temp gauge probably not hooked up, the gauge sets on H with no power, then drops to current temp when power is supplied. Given where the OP is that would be C this time of year 😂.

@Mtntopper great to see this run! What’s that last hand gauge measuring, can’t see it well enough in vid.

Last edited:
Temp gauge probably not hooked up, the gauge sets on H with no power, then drops to current temp when power is supplied. Given where the OP is that would be C this time of year 😂.

@Mtntopper great to see this run! What’s that last hand gauge measuring, can’t see it well enough in vid.
Thanks for the encouraging words and you are correct, the water temp and oil pressure gauges were not hooked up in that video.

That hand guage stumped me at first too, but I decided it must be the oil pressure.

A few updates trickling in from the shop: Brakes are now fully functional. Rebuilt transfer case installed. Parking brake functional. Original brass radiator that came with the F135 didn't pass pressure testing, it's currently off to a specialty shop for repair.

Boroscope pics, each picture is a different cylinder. There's some pitting evident, likely from sitting for long periods at time. Appears I can only load 5 photos on this post but the last one is similar.

20230206120024.jpg
20230206120211.jpg
20230206120323.jpg
20230206120343.jpg
20230206120424.jpg

20230206120253.jpg

Another Instagram post from Classic Cruisers yesterday. There's just a couple items left to fine tune and it's ready to move on. Next stop is a custom exhuast shop in Denver. I thought I wanted full stainless steel exhaust system, but the guys at the shop like the ceramic coated cold steel tubing better, they say it's way easier to keep clean than stainless. After the exhuast shop in Denver for a week, it's the upholstery shop in Grand Junction to get those OEM patterned floor mats finished up.

Those guys over at Classic Cruisers are such a priceless resource. I'm truly honored at the amount of love they poured into this project. Drove it about 100 yards total yesterday, onto the trailer then back off at the exhaust shop.

20230303_092446.jpg

20230303_103150.jpg

What exhaust shop in Denver uses ceramic tubing?

Any more progress on 45LV?

Yes, lots of leg work with only incremental progress. After getting the exhaust system installed, the engine compartment became quiet enough to discover an unsettling low-end thunk in the F135. Didn't even put 5 miles on it before I yanked it and sold it back to Classic Cruisers for a substantial loss. They weren't bothered by the thunk, but I was.
I then grabbed a fully machine shop rebuilt F135 from a buddy in CA. He decided go the Cummins route after spending a ton of energy and time professionally rebuilding the F135 as well as the original starter, alternator, distributor and water pump at assorted speciality shops. To be continued...

lv f135.jpg

lv f135 3.jpg

20230918_185721.jpg

20230919_195910.jpg

Sorry to hear about the engine. Not too good to hear you didn’t get a full refund either.
You would think that a reputable shop would work things out better. Hopefully they make good of it.
LV looks great regardless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom