JDM 100 series key cutting (Canada) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDM Journeys

Threads
With less options for getting keys cut here in Canada, esp with the dealer being generally unable to help without 17 digit vin, and likely not having key codes, I thought it might be helpful to discuss our options.

I was able to find the code on the RHS (right hand drive drivers side) door lock tumbler. It's a 5 digit number. Needed to pull door card. And also had to pull the three bolts that hold the door lock and handle to the door, in order to see the code

I have just placed an order with "keys cut online" in Australia. For $95 incl shipping of my dollars (maybe 72 usd?) they can hopefully ship two internal track keys (JDM Landcruiser uses the Lexus style high security key).

Just placed the order but will follow up with my experience.

I wanted to use 1010 keys as linked elsewhere. But they won't ship to Canada. We'll see how this Aussie option works? I'll post a link if it turns out to work.
IMG_20210307_104950.jpg

My JDM doesn't have a security light so I'm hoping I have a master key, but we shall see. One thing at a time right?
IMG_20210307_110717~2.jpg

When I bought my cruiser, it was missing all keys except valet key. I went to Lexus dealership and showed them proof of ownership, they give me the key code. I bought my own blank master key from eBay for 115 USD. I took the key to a local locksmith in town and asked if he can cut the key just with the help of key code only. I give him the key code and blank key and he cut and programmed the key for 100 dollars.

Success! The keys were a perfect match for the code on the drivers side lock tumbler. A little buffing with some sand paper and they were both smooth as silk. There was no drama with programming a chip so either there is a chip under the dash somewhere, or it was bypassed somehow before it left japan. Either way, we now have two spares and all is good for the 100.

I can strongly recommend this Aussie company:

When you say you have the Lexus Style high security key, do you mean that the key has the fob for lock/unlock built in? I have recently imported an 04 LC and have received three keys (one of which has a tag with a 5 digit number on it, assuming that is the key code?), with only one of the keys with the lock and unlock.

When you ordered from that Australian company, did they send you a key with the lock/unlock or just a regular key?

I would like to get another with the lock/unlock buttons, as a certain spouse of mine has a propensity to lose keys, and a spare or two of those with the lock would be a good preventative measure.

There was no drama with programming a chip so either there is a chip under the dash somewhere, or it was bypassed somehow before it left japan.
My understanding is that there's no immobilizer in the JDM trucks, so no "master" key.

I'm also curious about whether you found a remote fob. I've got plenty of keys, but only one of them has remote lock/unlock

I stopped looking lol. The factory fob still sort of worked but only at 90s distances, so held against the door handle. 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom