Snow Run! Saturday, January 21st 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
This is a placeholder for discussion of the annual snow run on Rampart Range (Schubarth Loop). We'll do it on Saturday, January 21st. Meet at 8am to 8:30am at the Alta Store in Crystola!

One thing that was suggested during the recent Christmas Tree patrols was to make it a bonfire and potluck-style cookout. Post your thoughts below!!!

I'm in (as long as I don't get tagged to work on Saturday)
Rob from Ute Pass Iron Goats says he'll be there with us.

Who else is in?

I will be there with a visitor. Are we doing a potluck as discussed earlier?

I'd love to - how much snow is up there now?

But robotics season is in full swing now, so Saturday runs are out for me until April.

I will be there with a visitor. Are we doing a potluck as discussed earlier?

Yes, let's do it!

I"ve got a stove and a dutch oven. I'll bring chili and tortillas or rolls. I've got some plates, bowls, and plastic utensils, and napkins.

Whatcha want to bring? Here's some ideas:
chips and salsa, or chips and queso
soft drinks--coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite/7-Up
dessert--cookies, brownies, or muffins (or mini-donuts)

@thinair80 here's an update!

@Goslow if you're coming, bring Fritos!!! LOL

Who else is coming?

We'll be there with brunswick stew, sour cream, shredded cheese, chives, crackers.
Ginger ale for the drink.

Reactions: SAS
Is anything else needed? Dave, my passenger, can bring something.

Sit-rep - I confused 2 meals.
Sour cream, cheese, and chives are out on the basis they don't go with brunswick stew.
My mistake.
New addition - bringing jalapeno cornbread. Can go with stew or chili. 👍

Last edited:
Bummer I missed it. We are also in Robotics season with Daniel. Vicki just finished on the elementary side. I may have a few I can make.

Reactions: SAS
What a great snow run! We found there was fresh snow, maybe 4-5 inches atop a little that was already there. Some places had drifts of 10-12 inches.

We ran FSR 307 out to the eastern end, then returned west to FSR 313 and ran it up to FSR 311A and out to the east end. We found a great place to park and set up for lunch. Chili, Brunswick Stew, hot dogs, tortilla chips, Fritos, jalapeno cornbread muffins, brownies and assorted cookies. Mmm...mmm...good hot food in the cold and snowy weather! It was great!

@thinair80 and I left at about 2pm; the others drove north on FSR 311, @LCPilot can fill in the details on that portion.

Let's do it again on a Sunday in February! Maybe a different Rampart road, but something close for a relatively short day-trip.

20230121_090650.jpg

20230121_111410.jpg

20230121_120719.jpg

After Tracy took off the remaining group headed down 311 and followed a set of tracks that we saw were made by a Jeep that overtook us on 313 when we topped at the big rock. (picture 1). When we found a fork in the road, we took it. In other words we got a little crazy and headed down 311A. It is pretty tight and rough in places. I am glad that we went downhill as going uphill would have been a little sporty. Sorry, I spent my time getting vehicles through and so no pictures. We returned on 313 and then went down 307A. There was a lot of logging and fire mitigation in that area. If you cut firewood this is the place to go. Since there was so much activity it was difficult to tell where the road was and wasn't. There was some good snow on the ridge that we were driving. (Picture 2) when we got to the end of 307A the sin was getting ready to set and we got some of the last rays of direct sunlight. We saw the big rock that we visited earlier on 313. You can see it on the far ridge in Picture 3. On the way out we found a Servicemaster work van stuck in the ditch. We lent some equipment to a local guy who was chained up and pulled the van out. Later we saw the tow truck that was called and didn't get to work. I had lot of fun today and really enjoyed the potluck lunch. It was a great way to get out of the truck and talk to the other people.

Pic 1.jpg

VIC.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom