DIY Gullwing Windows + Parts List (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I make mine from flat material and have been able to blast with a pressure washer and only been able to get a drop or two of water in.

Hope that helps
Appreciate the info! Do you think 1/4 inch aluminum will still work?

Looks good. Did you have to give the panel a little of a curve, or flat sheet works fine? Also, how do you think it will hold agaist rain?
Thanks for sharing your experience šŸ¤
The panel is flat, but you can bend it and give a bit of a curve, that will help. I drove through a winter storm yesterday and I didn't see any water intrusion so far, which speaks volumes because my old windows used to leak lol.

I agree with Lee, 1/4 would be overkill. If you want something thicker than 1/8, I'd go 3/16.

The panel is flat, but you can bend it and give a bit of a curve, that will help. I drove through a winter storm yesterday and I didn't see any water intrusion so far, which speaks volumes because my old windows used to leak lol.

I agree with Lee, 1/4 would be overkill. If you want something thicker than 1/8, I'd go 3/16.
I appreciate the feedback. Will have to pick up some thinner material then.

Forgot to add painted picture. Been too busy to add struts yet. View attachment 2926152View attachment 2926151
Turns out they were all keyed alike as well as with the Huracan tailgate latches. šŸ˜‚

And keyed alike with about 200 million generic matches
Some of those style locks are super easy to force or pick open, or jiggle open with a similar generic key.

I've had to open many of these locks on switch boards, data racks, fire alarm panels, control valve enclosures etc etc etc over the years, and you guys could be horrified at just how fast and easy it is to spring these locks.

Gimme a paper clip, and the metal clip off a felt pen, or a hair clip, and 2 minutes tops, I'm in.
Get lucky with the pins, and it can be sub 20 seconds

I notice no difference. Except you can faintly hear the 'OOOs' and 'AHHHHs' from other 80 series owners through it. Occasionally a girl screaming with excitement, but I've only heard about it, not witnessed it personally.
Chick magnet with an 80 - allegedly it happens to a few 80 series owners here. Not sure if the gullwings 'flap around' and just 'wing it' or not. lol had to say it!

And keyed alike with about 200 million generic matches
Some of those style locks are super easy to force or pick open, or jiggle open with a similar generic key.

I've had to open many of these locks on switch boards, data racks, fire alarm panels, control valve enclosures etc etc etc over the years, and you guys could be horrified at just how fast and easy it is to spring these locks.

Gimme a paper clip, and the metal clip off a felt pen, or a hair clip, and 2 minutes tops, I'm in.
Get lucky with the pins, and it can be sub 20 seconds
If someone wants to get into the truck, theyā€™ll break the window in a second instead of ****ing with the gullwing

I started on a gullwing access hatch. The hinges I have suck. Debating on using car hood hinges from the wrecker. Just using push button locks at the moment. 1/4ā€ aluminum, cause itā€™s what I had, but definitely too thick. 1/8th would have been totally fine.

E22CDAB5-C49B-4316-AC1E-AD1480F7A1CC.jpeg

Iā€™ve tried multiple hinges and in restrospect I should have just gotten the truck cap hinges. I had to shim mine 1/4 to have the gull wing sit deep enough in. Iā€™ve also moved the bulb seal to the body side, my templates werenā€™t the best and that resulted in the seal being squished against the side. Iā€™ve also used 1/4 rivets for the hinges, and once I get rivers large enough I will do the same for the bottom.

For aesthetics, i wrapped it in matte black and upholstered the inside to match my drawers.

D3E3CA98-5D47-439E-8AD5-790D41EEF5B4.jpeg
EDCB8091-4ACE-4C03-9240-B346351B55CD.jpeg
1A333442-ECCB-4544-B888-346D603ED487.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been contemplating this since my OBA is right at the driver's window and LX only has one sliding window there. I don't like the idea of having to unlock both latches every time. What about using a cam latch with rods that go to the sides? More complicated to fab, but easier to operate in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom