Death of a 3UR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought it was neat that they have all those high end components and they sell the OEM chain to keep them in time.

But yeah, you’re dropping 5 digits easy if you do a full on build.
And the guys in the Middle East show where that can get you… a few car lengths in front of quite a few supercars 🦾

What is the problem with the current engine?

What is the problem with the current engine?
Lower end noise and screwed up timing cover keeping the water pump from sealing.

Lower end noise and screwed up timing cover keeping the water pump from sealing.
Sorry to hear. I've been watching this thread as I know the pain.

WP_20150728_002.jpg

This was fully the dealer's fault, and they rebuilt the motor starting with a new short block. Their cost was $15k. I now have over 100k on the rebuilt motor that I abuse daily and it's holding strong (knock on wood).

Good luck going forward whatever you choose.

Picked up the 200 this Saturday and am pleased to report that it’s running well again. Here’s what I can tell you for me and my instance and my eventual road I went down for the repair. My initial plan was to have all the springs replaced and do all the “while you’re in the preventative maintenance.” This included timing chain, tensioners, cam phasers, water pump and a host of other things not to mention all the springs, rockers and lifters. The total I got for parts and labor was just way too much for me to put into a motor with 200,000 miles. So the decision was made to just address the broken spring and do the valve cover gaskets and a few other things. Overall I feel pretty good about it but I can’t confidently say it’s not going to happen to any of the other 31 springs. The mechanic that did the work did say the failed spring was actually noticeably different in color. Being the broken spring was actually almost black while all the remainders were closer to a gun metal grey. Don’t know if this would mean anything or not but it is odd.
5252931D-34CD-4645-8F2B-F778DCED0B4A.jpeg
58162897-51C4-4F37-9A17-031019989B54.jpeg

Picked up the 200 this Saturday and am pleased to report that it’s running well again. Here’s what I can tell you for me and my instance and my eventual road I went down for the repair. My initial plan was to have all the springs replaced and do all the “while you’re in the preventative maintenance.” This included timing chain, tensioners, cam phasers, water pump and a host of other things not to mention all the springs, rockers and lifters. The total I got for parts and labor was just way too much for me to put into a motor with 200,000 miles. So the decision was made to just address the broken spring and do the valve cover gaskets and a few other things. Overall I feel pretty good about it but I can’t confidently say it’s not going to happen to any of the other 31 springs. The mechanic that did the work did say the failed spring was actually noticeably different in color. Being the broken spring was actually almost black while all the remainders were closer to a gun metal grey. Don’t know if this would mean anything or not but it is odd. View attachment 3223215View attachment 3223216
LX or LC? How many miles are on it?

I was thinking the same. Just replace the bad spring.

Picked up the 200 this Saturday and am pleased to report that it’s running well again. Here’s what I can tell you for me and my instance and my eventual road I went down for the repair. My initial plan was to have all the springs replaced and do all the “while you’re in the preventative maintenance.” This included timing chain, tensioners, cam phasers, water pump and a host of other things not to mention all the springs, rockers and lifters. The total I got for parts and labor was just way too much for me to put into a motor with 200,000 miles. So the decision was made to just address the broken spring and do the valve cover gaskets and a few other things. Overall I feel pretty good about it but I can’t confidently say it’s not going to happen to any of the other 31 springs. The mechanic that did the work did say the failed spring was actually noticeably different in color. Being the broken spring was actually almost black while all the remainders were closer to a gun metal grey. Don’t know if this would mean anything or not but it is odd. View attachment 3223215View attachment 3223216
that’s in interesting comment about the color change. My first thought is heat in the metal.

that’s in interesting comment about the color change. My first thought is heat in the metal.
I felt the same way.

Oh and something that I meant to mention and forgot in my update. Both mechanics that looked at it after this happened was initially certain it was a bad injector as neither one could hear it pinging when they could hear the others. But after the injector was swapped the miss was still there. We did go ahead and replace that injector and I honestly believe the faulty injector may have had something to do with it, but I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Oh and something that I meant to mention and forgot in my update. Both mechanics that looked at it after this happened was initially certain it was a bad injector as neither one could hear it pinging when they could hear the others. But after the injector was swapped the miss was still there. We did go ahead and replace that injector and I honestly believe the faulty injector may have had something to do with it, but I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As someone who lives in the Triad, I'm curious about who you trust with this work. I feel like I often see mechanic recommendations over in the ONSC clubhouse but they are often in the Triangle. Thanks!

That is logical, but if the heat came from it failing I’d expect more discoloration near the break, and less as you got further away.

If the implication is that spring got hot causing the failure… I have no idea how that would happen.

@fj40z alao how many hours of labor were you charged?
I can’t really say exactly, the shop that did the work is ran by a fellow Cruiserhead and a friend of mine so I didn’t really feel the need for an exact breakdown in my bill. I would say that a good approximate guess would have been around 10 hours for everything.

I can’t really say exactly, the shop that did the work is ran by a fellow Cruiserhead and a friend of mine so I didn’t really feel the need for an exact breakdown in my bill. I would say that a good approximate guess would have been around 10 hours for everything.
Would you want to name your friend's shop given your good experience? My guess is he'd appreciate it.

Would you want to name your friend's shop given your good experience? My guess is he'd appreciate it.
Sure it’s Blackmon Imports in High Point NC. The owners a great guy, and also way into Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom