sorry.... maybe the mods could delete this thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
******** THIS IS A DREAMING QUESTION *******

In the event that I was ever actually able to do an engine swap, I have a question which may be silly to some of you, but I just don't know the answer so....

When swapping the engine, is there any reason not to do a full engine and trans swap?
I understand that there will have to be something to do with the transfer case - pretty sure that the transfer in a 60 won't bolt up to a "foreign" trans??????

The "dreaming" plan would be to remove the 3F carby motor (I'm an Aussie so the 3F came with a carby here) and the 5 speed manual, and swap it over to a Ford Barra 6 and auto trans from the Falcon/Territory, and run it all with a Haltech.

Now I don't need details, because this is all just talk and not likely to ever happen, but can I think of a full engine and trans swap, or is that just too hard to bolt it to the rest of the driveline?
Would I be better to keep the 5 speed, or maybe drop the 440 in behind the Barra? - I know that I can get a bell housing conversion plate to do that, but I kinda want the modern auto......

Thanks for the thoughts and info guys.

only reason not to is cost or time constraints. i Don't know anything about your driveline choices.

******** THIS IS A DREAMING QUESTION *******

In the event that I was ever actually able to do an engine swap, I have a question which may be silly to some of you, but I just don't know the answer so....

When swapping the engine, is there any reason not to do a full engine and trans swap?
I understand that there will have to be something to do with the transfer case - pretty sure that the transfer in a 60 won't bolt up to a "foreign" trans??????

The "dreaming" plan would be to remove the 3F carby motor (I'm an Aussie so the 3F came with a carby here) and the 5 speed manual, and swap it over to a Ford Barra 6 and auto trans from the Falcon/Territory, and run it all with a Haltech.

Now I don't need details, because this is all just talk and not likely to ever happen, but can I think of a full engine and trans swap, or is that just too hard to bolt it to the rest of the driveline?
Would I be better to keep the 5 speed, or maybe drop the 440 in behind the Barra? - I know that I can get a bell housing conversion plate to do that, but I kinda want the modern auto......

Thanks for the thoughts and info guys.
My thought when having my engine transplanted was that; a) putting a chevy sbc in is well trodden ground with plenty of information out there, b) bolt up conversion plates exist, and c) the toyo transmission isn't the weak point in the drive train in my opinion.
I wanted to keep the manual transmission but if you want to move to an automatic I suppose that may change some things.

I should point out mine was the 2f engine so I don't know how that compares with the 3f.

Pretty sure you can get barra adapters easily enough and if I was doing a Barra I'd try and bring the ZF auto with it as well.

Personally, I'd go a 1FZ and H150 before a Barra, but plenty of Barra swapped patrols so why not a cruiser...

Perhaps some more reading and less dreaming

Well, of course I am still looking for info - I thought someone here might be able to tell me if it was POSSIBLE to use the existing transfer case with a foreign gearbox, because there are a lot of smart people who have done lots of different things here.
That is one of the reasons for a place like this - to ask questions of people with more knowledge than yourself.... :rolleyes:
As it turns out I have found the info from a manufacturer here in Oz, but it is more expensive than a bell housing swap for the standard gearbox.
So I am not sure which way to go.
But in any case, now that I have the info, I can start looking at what sort of budget I need for the job.
I love the internet....... so much helpful info can be found.

You asked several questions that have been discussed in huge magnitudes for almost two decades on this forum.
And then say it’s all fantasy and likely to never happen anyways. Threads like this don’t deserve to push peoples actual projects and technical information back to the 2nd/3rd page. Sorry

@Skellibert , if i recall correctly, there is someone in here who was or is doing a 6cyl barra swap into a i believe 60. may dig that one up n contact them. i'm sure he was in oz. also, anything is possible, with enough time n $$$$$, how much are you willing to dole out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom