Better than the j80 most Americans don't know about LC200 base model manual transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not so sure that the Toyota engineers, when spending billions on R&D, focus too much on the 20 people that might put 34" tires on their DD/highway 4 runner.

Was said 'turd' re-geared? Also, it IS a body on frame brick with a good bit of drivetrain rotational heft to get up to speed.

However, all of that can be taken care of with a combination of gearing, lighter materials, trimmer body, re-mapped ECU, trans ratios, and tcase ratios.

If they really wanted to.

And that is why it comes down to the buyer to make the choice.. I'm certain that if US spec had the option of 4 liter and 5.7, the former would have been disco... just like the 4.6 from early 2G Tundras.

Not sure if the turd was regeared, that seems like too much work. Not in the same class per se, but a G63 is also a body on frame brick.. IMO, the 5.7 is barely enough with or without 34s 😂

And that is why it comes down to the buyer to make the choice.. I'm certain that if US spec had the option of 4 liter and 5.7, the former would have been disco... just like the 4.6 from early 2G Tundras.

Not sure if the turd was regeared, that seems like too much work. Not in the same class per se, but a G63 is also a body on frame brick.. IMO, the 5.7 is barely enough with or without 34s 😂

but we don't have that choice, partly Toyota and partly the corrupt Feds to blame. So you can't really say.

People love choices, and engine choices. Ford and Chevy offer 3 or 4 engine choices for thier trucks. Bronco has 2 choices. Wrangler has 2 choices + hybrid

Of couse the 4.0 would not be a power house and probably a slow seller, but a lighterweight, V6, less techy, 2 row seating, 5 speed, interesting paint color, and cheaper 200 series would have sold.

Agreed, the states is all about road trips on the open highway where HP rules. It would be shortsighted to release halo model with a turd of an engine. We've been trained that it's all about features and big numbers. Let the lesser SUVs in Toyota's lineup cater to the masses.

To some extent, proper gearing matters but less-so at speed. As long as the transmission can find a gear that puts the engine in the HP powerband, HP will be made and delivered. That doesn't make a too tall cruise gear less annoying with constant downshifts.

I just took a long highway day trip with next to no weight in the car which is rare as it's our vacation car that's usually packed. The 5.7L rolls effortlessly with 35s at higher speeds barely needing to downshift. Cruising at 90mph with authority and buttery comfort. I forget how great it plays that role. Have to remind myself not to ruin that competency too much.

I’m not the emoji type but the beating a dead horse one would be very appropriate here.

The 4.0 couldn’t haul a 200 around in the US with our freeway speeds and towing expectations, and meet Toyota’s reliability and probably marketing standards. And even if it could, it would eat into 4Runner sales.

This is 100% a decision based on the profits Toyota thinks they could return from their investment, and a dozen people online saying they’d buy one right now if it came with a rear locker (maybe 1/3 of which actually would) doesn’t change Toyota’s calculations on this one bit.

The Boogeyman has nothing to do with it.

I love how many people think they know better than one of the largest automakers in the world what would sell though.

but we don't have that choice, partly Toyota and partly the corrupt Feds to blame. So you can't really say.

People love choices, and engine choices. Ford and Chevy offer 3 or 4 engine choices for thier trucks. Bronco has 2 choices. Wrangler has 2 choices + hybrid

Of couse the 4.0 would not be a power house and probably a slow seller, but a lighterweight, V6, less techy, 2 row seating, 5 speed, interesting paint color, and cheaper 200 series would have sold.

At least until we get whatever Toyota is cooking up for US market later this year.. what you described is called a 4Runner TRD Pro for NA market 😉

No...200/300 series size with HD components and a laser like focus on dependability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. You know, the original Land Cruiser pedigree.

Not some midsize SUV with 85 control system ECUs and overly styled body panels. I don't need or want a system that ties into steering angle, wheel speed and brake usage to help me navigate some snow and sand. All those interconnected systems have fail built in. Take those sensors off, remove the wiring, remove the screens, remove the millions of line of code, and sell me.a Land Cruiser.

No...200/300 series size with HD components and a laser like focus on dependability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. You know, the original Land Cruiser pedigree.

Not some midsize SUV with 85 control system ECUs and overly styled body panels. I don't need or want a system that ties into steering angle, wheel speed and brake usage to help me navigate some snow and sand. All those interconnected systems have fail built in. Take those sensors off, remove the wiring, remove the screens, remove the millions of line of code, and sell me.a Land Cruiser.

Styling is subjective and tech will continue to advance whether we like it or not. Particularly in todays market there the majority of US buyers value facebook updates and list of nearest obesity pit stops right on their 42" nav screens and HUD's.

In quite a few ways, the 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro is the closest dimentionally, drivetrain, simplicity, etc we have to earlier Cruisers today.. and even that is about to be replaced, undoubtebly with more sensors...

I like the idea of the manual but not tied to the 4.0L. I've owned three 5th Gen 4Runners and two FJC's so I am very familiar with that power plant and while it's extremely reliable it just doesn't pack the punch necessary to move 5600lbs effectively at highway/interstate speeds. Maybe if they gave it a 6th gear it would have been better received but the GX460 has a 4.6L V8 with a 6-speed and it's just barely acceptable for the platform if used to tow 2000-5000lbs and/or for interstate travel speeds and passing.

I absolutely loved our TRD Pro 4Runner but the engine and transmission combo almost single handedly forced us to move on from the platform.

It may be a bit underpowered by modern standards, but Toyota seems to sell 4runners as fast as they can make them and they hold their value extremely well.

Sounds like SOMEONE is buying them.

Just like many would buy a stripped down utilitarian Land Cruiser with a smaller but super dependable engine and manual. And lower weight.

Heck they sold PT Cruisers and SSRs and so much more non-sense.

It may be a bit underpowered by modern standards, but Toyota seems to sell 4runners as fast as they can make them and they hold their value extremely well.

Sounds like SOMEONE is buying them.

Just like many would buy a stripped down utilitarian Land Cruiser with a smaller but super dependable engine and manual. And lower weight.

Heck they sold PT Cruisers and SSRs and so much more non-sense.

They are selling like hot cakes for many reasons, most likely due to it being one of the last mid-size BOF/truck-like SUV's on the market with excellent reliability and resale. That said, they are dated, slow, and archaic in terms of drivetrain but they are at a very good price point attainable by most average working class consumers and readily available at that.

I like the idea of the manual but not tied to the 4.0L. I've owned three 5th Gen 4Runners and two FJC's so I am very familiar with that power plant and while it's extremely reliable it just doesn't pack the punch necessary to move 5600lbs effectively at highway/interstate speeds. Maybe if they gave it a 6th gear it would have been better received but the GX460 has a 4.6L V8 with a 6-speed and it's just barely acceptable for the platform if used to tow 2000-5000lbs and/or for interstate travel speeds and passing.

I absolutely loved our TRD Pro 4Runner but the engine and transmission combo almost single handedly forced us to move on from the platform.
Toyota released land cruiser 100 a V8 with manual transmission and I don't know why didn't do the same with land cruiser 200. The land cruiser 100 V8 is slow in modern standards while the 4.0 is more powerful and faster. People here still didn't realised the manual is lighter.
Screenshot_2023-01-17-19-42-51-633-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

The competitor of the land cruiser 200 is the Nissan patrol y62 actually they released manual transmission with V8 that monster was a beast unfortunately the manual discontinued from y62 in 2014

Screenshot_2023-01-17-19-48-58-853-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
IMG_20230117_194953.jpg

Last edited:
Toyota released land cruiser 100 a V8 with manual transmission and I don't know why didn't do the same with land cruiser 200. The land cruiser 100 V8 is slow in modern standards while the 4.0 is more powerful and faster. People here still didn't realised the manual is lighter.
View attachment 3221913

The competitor of the land cruiser 200 the Nissan patrol y62 actually they released manual transmission with V8 that monster was a beast unfortunately the manual discontinued from y62 in 2014

View attachment 3221919View attachment 3221920

Lighter or not it's still going to be heavier than the 4750lb 4Runner that we have here in the states with the 4.0L. The US spec 200 is over 6000lbs, you aren't cutting out 1300lbs from the 200 Series to match the weight of the 5th Gen 4Runner and even if you did somehow, it would still be underpowered for the roads and speeds we travel here in the states.

Lighter or not it's still going to be heavier than the 4750lb 4Runner that we have here in the states with the 4.0L. The US spec 200 is over 6000lbs, you aren't cutting out 1300lbs from the 200 Series to match the weight of the 5th Gen 4Runner and even if you did somehow, it would still be underpowered for the roads and speeds we travel here in the states.
???? I don't understand the numbers so I don't I can't imagine the Wight.
But the 5 speed automatic is also slow transmission

The 4Runner with 4.0L and 5-speed weighs 2154kg and is considered slow and under powered here in the states for our highway/interstate speeds and towing needs. The US spec 200 Series Land Cruiser weighs 2739kg, I don't see you being able to cut out nearly 600kg from the 200 (or even half of that) then combine it with the 5-speed manual and 4.0L engine and consider it acceptable for US highway speeds and towing needs when the 4Runner already falls short. Our interstates and highways have speeds from 100-140kmh and you need to retain passing power at those speeds as well.

The 4Runner with 4.0L and 5-speed weighs 2154kg and is considered slow and under powered here in the states for our highway/interstate speeds and towing needs. The US spec 200 Series Land Cruiser weighs 2739kg, I don't see you being able to cut out nearly 600kg from the 200 (or even half of that) then combine it with the 5-speed manual and 4.0L engine and consider it acceptable for US highway speeds and towing needs when the 4Runner already falls short. Our interstates and highways have speeds from 100-140kmh and you need to retain passing power at those speeds as well.
Yeah now I see what you mean. Yes yes definitely is hard to cut of 600 kg maybe it will reduce around 100 kg plus or minus.

Aero load is a factor at speed as well. The 200-series punches a considerably larger hole. Say goodbye to highway passing with a small engine.

It’s almost as though Toyota detuned the 4.7 knowing it would be in physically larger and heavier vehicles…

and ended up with one of the most durable engines on the planet.

The 2uz actually wakes up nicely with a manual behind it. My brother manual swapped his 100 last year and it is a hoot but can’t imagine a 2uz or the 4.0 pushing a 200 up the passes around here, even in manual form. Swapping the 5.7 to a manual would be great but seems impossible with how integrated the trans is to so many systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom