i dropped a plastic cap in my rear diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it a big deal if the faces of the gear teeth get scratched? I'm using assorted picks to move the cap and noticed some small scratches on some of the teeth.
Differential gear steel is very, very hard. I’d be surprised if you are actually making scratches that aren’t 100% cosmetic.

Today I moved the cap around and got it sooo-f-ing-close to the drain plug, but no love.

Ponderin' fluid dynamics:
Would you guess draining the fluid slower or faster will increase the chances of the cap moving out of the drain hole?

Make sure the cap is not lodged anywhere
Fill the diff full of motor oil
Connect the shop vac to the drain plug and let it rip

Today I moved the cap around and got it sooo-f-ing-close to the drain plug, but no love.

Ponderin' fluid dynamics:
Would you guess draining the fluid slower or faster will increase the chances of the cap moving out of the drain hole?

Make sure the cap is not lodged anywhere
Fill the diff full of motor oil
Connect the shop vac to the drain plug and let it rip
I looked at this post a few different times now wishing you the best.

Now i'm just thinking outside the box here, how about flushing it with the consistency of water, say maybe rubbing alcohol or something of that nature that won't induce rust. Don't give up, if there's a will there's a way !
I would think that flushing fast would be best, don't keep wasting money on oil or whatever you using, just keep reusing the same batch, get a full flow going out of the drain hole and then pop the drain hole with your palm or thumb, the cap is not that heavy, it should move fairly easy imop

Good luck and keep us posted

Random thought...

If you have it fully drained and both fill and drain ports open. Use a shop vac to suck and blow. Suck air on a port. Try the sucking on the other port. Try blowing on either port. Try suction on one port and while having air blowing on the other port at the same time. Hope the cap will be large enough to catch the air moving through and be helped out.

we are all gonna have to have a celebration beer once this is finally outta there
we should be placing bets

I appreciate the support and creative thinking!

I'm using this super handy setup to aid in getting all of the fluid out and trying to get the cap out.
AIR-TIP Long Reach Flexible Micro Hose Set
AIR-TIP Long Reach Flexible Micro Hose Set | Milwaukee Tool - https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Vacuums-and-Fans/Wet-Dry-Vacuums/49-90-2037

49-90-2037_1.png

Air compressor to blow air in via the fill
port. Honestly I would’ve thought the shop vac would’ve sucked it out already if there was sufficient suction.

I’ve dropped a few things in very hard to reach places in my life. Usually something like a wire inside a wall, where the alternative to fishing it out involves serious disassembly or destruction. As others suggest a bit of 12 or 14ga copper wire with a bent tip is one of my go to options. If you can’t snag and drag (unlikely) you’ll want to carefully “sweep” it until it slides to a spot you can grab with something like needle nose pliers or a second hooked wire

The above post is great advice.... but it's not really going to hurt anything and if it does get in the gear teeth they won't notice it when they shred it.. I would personally try for an hour or 2 then give up, Fill it and drive it for 20 miles or so and drain the oil into a clean pan and see what comes out. if there are threads I would strain the used diff oil and repeat a few times to flush the parts out as much as possible and fill it and forget it.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Filled the diff with 5w-30, removed the drain plug and plugged the drain hole with my finger, quickly grabbed the shop vac, and covered the drain plug with the hose.

Big thank you to everyone for the input and creative thinking!

PXL_20230117_163822486.jpg
PXL_20230117_163825969.jpg
PXL_20230117_163852856.jpg

Cool!

As you likely already know you'll need to run some gear oil for just a short time then drain and replace with gear oil. As the first change or gear oil will absorb the motor oil and thin out.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Filled the diff with 5w-30, removed the drain plug and plugged the drain hole with my finger, quickly grabbed the shop vac, and covered the drain plug with the hose.

Big thank you to everyone for the input and creative thinking!

View attachment 3221910View attachment 3221911View attachment 3221912
Congrats, justa couple of thoughts, blowing it out may have been easier to clean up and now you have a spare cap for when you loose one at the next fluid change.

Today is a good day.

How many miles should I put on it before changing the gear oil? Debating heading to the coast for a few days, and the round trip will be ~300 miles. Change it before I go or when I get back?

How many miles should I put on it before changing the gear oil? Debating heading to the coast for a few days, and the round trip will be ~300 miles. Change it before I go or when I get back?
your gear oil to motor oil ratio is going to be like 100 to 1. I wouldn't hesitate to go 300 miles or even 3000 miles before changing.

When I changed my rear diff after an unknown number of miles (that is most certainly over 60k) the oil was still thick and honey colored. These diffs are very easy on oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom