Value of LX570 before and after 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2014 GX460 that’s been awesome for my family of 4. It’s even great with my 22ft deep-V boat. I even launch it straight from the sand beach at the lake on Michelins! However, we’re having a 3rd child. Even though I think we can get by, I can’t help but to shop and heavily consider upgrading to my TRUE dream vehicle, the 570. I fell in love the the drivetrain of my 2011 Tundra.

My question for the group is how do y’all value a fully loaded 2015 with the 6 speed and older dash tech vs the 2016? I’m seeing a huge premium, like $13-15k for the same miles and condition. What are some thoughts about what your getting there? I plan to keep this vehicle for 15+ years.

I have a 2014 GX460 that’s been awesome for my family of 4. It’s even great with my 22ft deep-V boat. I even launch it straight from the sand beach at the lake on Michelins! However, we’re having a 3rd child. Even though I think we can get by, I can’t help but to shop and heavily consider upgrading to my TRUE dream vehicle, the 570. I fell in love the the drivetrain of my 2011 Tundra.

My question for the group is how do y’all value a fully loaded 2015 with the 6 speed and older dash tech vs the 2016? I’m seeing a huge premium, like $13-15k for the same miles and condition. What are some thoughts about what your getting there? I plan to keep this vehicle for 15+ years.
I have a 2013 LX. The 2016 and later models have the goofy, frustrating mouse pad for the infortainment screen. There is no touch screen. I believe the later (19,20 I can't recall) have both the mouse pad and touch screen.

I had a couple of loaners with the mouse pad thingy and it is next level frustrating. I have no idea who at Lexus signed off on this. The infotainmnet systems are hopelessly outdated no matter the model year.

I think it's 2016 and later they moved the rear seat HVAC controls from the back of the front center console to the top of the flip down 2nd row armrest, so if you have 3 people in the 2nd row they can't access the HVAC controls.

Search the forums, lots of folks like the 8spd but they had to have the dealers update the transmission through a reflash.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer '13-15 interior/exterior styling even if there wasn't a price difference... but if you can get past the joystick nav and don't mind the front end styling - the 16+ did get some updates, for better or worse.

I have a 2013 LX. The 2016 and later models have the goofy, frustrating mouse pad for the infortainment screen. There is no touch screen. I believe the later (19,20 I can't recall) have both the mouse pad and touch screen.

I had a couple of loaners with the mouse pad thingy and it is next level frustrating. I have no idea who at Lexus signed off on this. The infotainmnet systems are hopeless outdated no matter the model year.

I think it's 2016 and later they moved the rear seat HVAC controls from the back of the front center console to the top of the flip down 2nd row armrest, so if you have 3 people in the 2nd row they can't access the HVAC controls.
No touch screen? That’s nuts. Your system is probably the same or at least similar to my 2014 GX and it’s at least touch screen. (Is is the same? Haha)

Great point on the HVAC controls. Having them on the armrest is definitely a negative.

I’m looking at some and the most all have the DVD screens - I actually wish they didn’t since my kids watch enough Tv And they’ll just ask non-stop to put on a movie. My wife will actually protest having them.

I read a few hours worth on the 8speed. Seems like it’s a slight benefit for towing, which speaks to me. However, I don’t put a ton of value on that bc I know the 6 speed (like my GX) tow just fine for my needs. The value WOULD have been if the fuel economy were significantly better. However, it doesn’t seem better…. ??

How often do you have someone in the middle seat of the second row for the location of the rear HVAC controls to be of issue? Most do not, if ever, and if you did I am sure they wouldn't be sitting there for long. The trackpad does suck but the Nav screen itself is better than in previous years. The head lights on the 16+ are better, the transmission is a take it or leave it kind of thing, detractors on both ends there. I personally think it should come down to styling, if you really like the 16+ styling and you intend to keep it for 15+ years then spend the extra coin and go for it.

How often do you have someone in the middle seat of the second row for the location of the rear HVAC controls to be of issue? Most do not, if ever, and if you did I am sure they wouldn't be sitting there for long. The trackpad does suck but the Nav screen itself is better than in previous years. The head lights on the 16+ are better, the transmission is a take it or leave it kind of thing, detractors on both ends there. I personally think it should come down to styling, if you really like the 16+ styling and you intend to keep it for 15+ years then spend the extra coin and go for it.
"However, we’re having a 3rd child." Sounds like the 2nd row will have 3 people 100% of the time.

Sure you could that, still stupid to move HVAC controls to an armrest.

Pretty common these days, middle seat is rarely used by many and most luxury SUV's have rear captains with center consoles in the second row as well.

Also, there should be controls for 2nd row on main screen (2008-15 do anyways). So in the unlikely event there are three back there, it’s still adjustable.

The 2016+ are harder to convert to overlanders. Certainly not impossible, but pretty terrible OEM approach angles, and the roof rack is harder to replace (have to drop the headliner). Most anything that works on any other 200 can be made to work on a 16+ LX it usually just doesn’t integrate well. That may change as there are more 2nd owners on the 16+. (As far as more outfitters building bumpers/sliders for the version)

If that’s not a concern, then it’s definitively far more modern looking than the 2015 and will probably age better style wise.

Personally, the trackpad was never a problem for me. I had one on a ‘13 GS and thought it was fine. Side benefit is not having finger prints on your screen all the time.

You can add CarPlay/android to either model which is the biggest tech boost for the infotainment.

On the 2013-2015, is there any way to update the maps or use google maps without replacing the head unit with one of those cheap looking aftermarket screens? I’m guessing no…

On the looks - I’m not sure I’m crazy about either of the rear ends, but the front looks more modern for sure on the 2016+. It almost has me thinking wait 3 years and buy a 2013-2015 when they’ve dropped another 10k. I don’t know. Is paying $40k-$45k on a low mileage ‘15 (like 50k miles) silly?

On the 2013-2015, is there any way to update the maps or use google maps without replacing the head unit with one of those cheap looking aftermarket screens? I’m guessing no…

On the looks - I’m not sure I’m crazy about either of the rear ends, but the front looks more modern for sure on the 2016+. It almost has me thinking wait 3 years and buy a 2013-2015 when they’ve dropped another 10k. I don’t know. Is paying $40k-$45k on a low mileage ‘15 (like 50k miles) silly?
That’s the slippery slope. You can buy a 10-11 with 100k miles right now for 30 or less probably. Now your talking 30k difference for mechanically very similar vehicles.…I don’t think it will be long before you see 13-15s in the mid to low 30s (but I’m just a guy on the internet). Before the bubble <2020 they were selling for 35ish. I cant think of any differences between 13s and 15s. Maybe some minor updates, but nothing rings a bell.

there are a few vendors (I have Grom, but there are more) that sell a box that integrates with the factory head unit giving you CarPlay or Android Auto (ie google maps). They are not 100 (or even 90) percent seamless, but they work okay. You wouldn’t want to waste money updating Lexus Maps.

I debated this very thing heavily the prior year while I was searching. These are largely opinions, but they are the things that tipped the scales for me. To cut to the chase, I opted for a '16 as I do hope to keep this for 10+ years.

1. To me, the drama over the mouse pad is a bit over inflated. I've been in my '16 for two months now and I have adjusted and have little to no issues with it. Not a deal killer at all. No vehicle of mine previously had it either and i've never used it in a rental.

2. The eight speed has many advantages and just seems to suffer from a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. As mentioned, it's resolved with a TSB. Based on feedback here as well, the ability to handle 35's and not necessarily needing to regear is a measurable savings if you eventually plan to build the truck.

3. I saw adding a throttle controller (pedal commander) as absolutely necessary for cure the mushy pedal of the '16+

4. Styling. I preferred the front end styling of the 13-15, but i preferred the rear end styling of the '16+ (including the cargo area window). I plan to do a front bumper at some point, so i knew the dislike of the predator grill would be temporary, but the rear end styling could not be changed. I knew if i got a 13-15 I would likely see the '16+ models and have a bit of envy.

5. Interior: This is where the time is most spent. To me, the pre-'16 dash/steering wheels has begun to look large, clunky and outdated (sorry!). I significantly preferred the dash and steering wheel of '16+ and 1-2 years from now I knew I'd wish i had made the leap earlier.

6. Seats: My parents have a pre-'16 LX570 and I find the later model seats to be more comfortable.

7. Leather color: I previously had an '09 LC and loved the grey leather. Unfortunately, the interior colors for 13-15 are black or cream. For a variety of reasons, I do not prefer black leather and the cream was worse. So, the '16+ offered cabernet which is a bit better than black to me and I hope will show less and be cooler in the summer heat. Ideally, I would have loved a dark gray exterior with gray interior but that does not exist.

8. Other than the 8-speed, heads up display and a few smalls things, the difference is really just styling but lets face it, we love that the 200 has not changed much other than styling and to me, the styling mattered for something i want to own for a decade or more.

9. I'm not a fan of having a lot on my roof so that was a moot point for me. I also have never experienced any of the apply carplay stuff or true integration of my phone into a vehicles. Ignorance is bliss for me on this topic and im just happy to have an integrated USB port :)

I'm perfectly happy with the 6 speed, even on 35's no re-gear it gets the job done. I won't deny the '16+ is way more attractive inside and out. But I'm cheap, so I have an old one. Looks and just general "newness" would be the main reason for the '16+ IMO. I also find the LC interior (of any year) far more attractive than the pre-16 LX interior. Basically, the pre-16 LX interior is fugly. :hillbilly:

My wife's RX has the mousepad and it's better than my s***ty pre-'16 touchscreen.

I’m on year 3 of my 2015 lx570. I really like everything about the vehicle… it’s 8 years old and looks brand new. I prefer the 13-15 front end and 20 inch rims vs 21’s. It’s a hell of a value right now from an acquisition standpoint. I’d buy with confidence.

I appreciate all the info and perspectives. Opinions are important!

I know I will not be putting 35’s and doing anything like that. Probably some oversized AT’s once it gets downgraded to “not caring about paint” status when it’s value dips below $20k.

On the ‘14 GX, we already don’t use the information screen. It’s a pain when you want to switch from 3 zone back to 1 automatic zone. The only thing I’d want on that screen is a good mapping system for navigation. Now we have to use our phones in the cup holder. Pretty crappy really. It looks like the 16+ allows Apple Maps to be used, and that shows up in the HUD. I’d settle for up to date Apple Maps but certainly prefer google maps. That HUD appears pretty sweet btw.

Lastly, that I haven’t mentioned is the leather quality. The thing that seems to tank the later years in the Lx470’s and even later GX/LX models is the busted seats. Is the semi-aniline supposed to be more wear resistant or is it just a texture thing?

The bigger breaks and 8 speed for towing really are a benefit for me and worth some extra money. However, what this all really means is that i need to just save my money and be patient for the 16-18’s to drop in value. I’m going to keep shopping the market to gain savvy but will try to get by with my tundra and gx460. If I find a steal on a 13-16 where I can sell the GX for a few grand difference thatd be about all I’d do.

I appreciate all the info and perspectives. Opinions are important!

I know I will not be putting 35’s and doing anything like that. Probably some oversized AT’s once it gets downgraded to “not caring about paint” status when it’s value dips below $20k.

On the ‘14 GX, we already don’t use the information screen. It’s a pain when you want to switch from 3 zone back to 1 automatic zone. The only thing I’d want on that screen is a good mapping system for navigation. Now we have to use our phones in the cup holder. Pretty crappy really. It looks like the 16+ allows Apple Maps to be used, and that shows up in the HUD. I’d settle for up to date Apple Maps but certainly prefer google maps. That HUD appears pretty sweet btw.

Lastly, that I haven’t mentioned is the leather quality. The thing that seems to tank the later years in the Lx470’s and even later GX/LX models is the busted seats. Is the semi-aniline supposed to be more wear resistant or is it just a texture thing?

The bigger breaks and 8 speed for towing really are a benefit for me and worth some extra money. However, what this all really means is that i need to just save my money and be patient for the 16-18’s to drop in value. I’m going to keep shopping the market to gain savvy but will try to get by with my tundra and gx460. If I find a steal on a 13-16 where I can sell the GX for a few grand difference thatd be about all I’d do.
To have any maps besides Lexus, you'll need to add on a carplay device (like GROM V-Line) and if you do that, you can use any map application that works with carplay including google, apple, GAIA, Waze, etc.

Semi-aniline is supposed to show less wear or develop less patina than other leather but I don't know if it is necessarily any more resistant to tearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom