6bt cummins NV4500 1996 LX450 swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For now, I'm using two spal fans (13") and 195 degree F thermo-switch, wired through the EFI relay. Be sure to oil your jigsaw blade when cutting Aluminum. I first tried mounting the fans to the aluminum plate and mounting the plate to the radiator. The fans did not clear the Cummins pulleys, so I zip-tied them straight to the radiator and then mounted plate over the fans and that worked well. I glued some foam strips around the edge of the aluminum plate to help seal off around the fans.

SPAL Automotive USA IX-30102044 - Spal Electric Fan 13"

Photo Sep 19 2022, 6 09 09 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 20 2022, 1 04 28 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 20 2022, 1 39 05 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 20 2022, 5 38 58 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 20 2022, 5 57 36 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Cowl Wire on Driver's Fender – Circuits deleted

G 1 – Generator

I 2 – Igniter

A 7 – ABS relay

A 6 - ABS relay

A 5 – ABS Actuator

A 4 - ABS Actuator

N 1 – Noise Filter (ignition system)

I 3 – Ignition coil

F 4 – Fuel relay

B 1 – Brake Fluid level warning switch
Cowl Wire on Passenger's Fender - Circuits deleted.

C 4 – Cruise Control Actuator

F 5 – Fuel Pump Resistor

A 8 – Auto Antenna Motor
Cowl Wire on Passenger's Fender

Cowl Wire Passenger Fender.jpg

Cowl Wire on Driver's Fender

Cowl Wire Driver Fender.jpg

Last edited:
Exhaust is in and so is the intercooler. Right now the hood isn’t clearing the intake on the motor. Right now I’m trying to decide on what to do. Im thinking about making a new nipple that bolts to the grid heater and then using the same blue silicon tubing on the intercooler to connect with. I’m thinking the hood may flatten it somewhat but may still allow air flow.

Next option is to fabricate another intake that is wider but flatter.

It’s slowly getting there.

1195CBCB-35C3-4500-B1D5-2F121162C85C.jpeg

5D38E627-374B-43ED-9B93-CB4CB12113CE.jpeg

03377CFB-5304-4CFA-9FE8-5EECD724BA8A.jpeg

2082EFAA-8761-4F85-89B2-56815E0A4849.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work!

Any zoomed-out photos of how the engine mounts in the bay with the Adventure Vehicles NW engine mounts? Would also love to see radiator fan clearance on your e-fan setup.

Keep up the good work!

I had the same problem on mine and did a few different things for more clearance but ended up adding a 1/2" body lift
I’ve thought about lowering my center diff. Right now, I have a dodge transmission mount under the center diff. It adds about 2inches of height. I may remove it and see what happens.

Nice work!

Any zoomed-out photos of how the engine mounts in the bay with the Adventure Vehicles NW engine mounts? Would also love to see radiator fan clearance on your e-fan setup.

Keep up the good work!
I will be happy to get you some photos tomorrow. I made some videos today of the hood closing with the factory intake and then without the intake. I have 4.5" of clearance above the grid heater. I plan to weld up a 90 degree nipple off the grid heater and snake a 3" silicon hose behind the injectors. I'll make a test piece with some foam before doing anything.

Underhood intercooler clearance.jpg

Underhood photo.jpg

Do you think there is enough space to run the Dodge mechanical fan with the engine in its current position?
It's very tight up front. I would need a modified fan bracket and would need to modify the radiator position. Some have also custom built their mechanical fan as well. With the current position, the driveshafts and the center diff fits well with not modification. This is sacrificing some room up front. If you went with a body lift, and could more easily set the motor further back and gain some room up front. That may cause you to have to modify the center diff crossmember and driveshafts.

I spoke with @mattimooseprime about his setup and took his recommendations. He said his motor runs pretty cool and that one fan may be adequate. Maybe he can also give some insight.... I plan to test out both and then test them separately and see how they perform. I may be able to keep one disconnected and have for a backup.

I'm always interested to know others outlook on their build specs. What's your opinion on running a mechanical fan vs electric? I would prefer to have a mechanical fan to eliminate some electronics and may make changes down the road.

It's very tight up front. I would need a modified fan bracket and would need to modify the radiator position. Some have also custom built their mechanical fan as well. With the current position, the driveshafts and the center diff fits well with not modification. This is sacrificing some room up front. If you went with a body lift, and could more easily set the motor further back and gain some room up front. That may cause you to have to modify the center diff crossmember and driveshafts.

I spoke with @mattimooseprime about his setup and took his recommendations. He said his motor runs pretty cool and that one fan may be adequate. Maybe he can also give some insight.... I plan to test out both and then test them separately and see how they perform. I may be able to keep one disconnected and have for a backup.

I'm always interested to know others outlook on their build specs. What's your opinion on running a mechanical fan vs electric? I would prefer to have a mechanical fan to eliminate some electronics and may make changes down the road.
Some of the 6BT swap guys position the engine slightly closer to the firewall, which probably frees up space at the radiator. I think it’s a combination of body-lift and “massaging” the trans tunnel to gain the extra room.

To me, it’s worth the reliability and common parts availability of a mechanical fan setup.

I’ll post engine position comparison pics once ImgBB is back online.
Electric fans are about 1/2 of one HP max.

Mechanical fan is 10+ HP when the clutch engages.
Is that really a relevant problem? Is horsepower scarce on a 6BT? You can just breathe on them and they’ll make another 50 hp. Some mild upgrades and they’ll make 400 hp.

Plus, they came stock with a mechanical fan on the Dodge Ram. I don’t see many Dodge Ram guys removing their mechanical fans and swapping to electric fans to add horsepower.

To me, the mechanical fan setup is worth the “compromise” in horsepower in exchange for an advantage in reliability.

Last edited:
There is also the fact that the dodge mechanical fan flows north of 10,000 CFM. I think those electric fans will struggle to flow enough air over the radiator, intercooler and a/c condenser at low vehicle speeds. A lot of dodge ram cummins electric fan conversions really struggle in that area causing most to go back to stock. Just food for thought.

There is also the fact that the dodge mechanical fan flows north of 10,000 CFM. I think those electric fans will struggle to flow enough air over the radiator, intercooler and a/c condenser at low vehicle speeds. A lot of dodge ram cummins electric fan conversions really struggle in that area causing most to go back to stock. Just food for thought.
10,000 cfm is good to know. I’ve not been able to find the specs for the dodge fan to make a comparison between electric vs mechanical.

Is that really a relevant problem? Is horsepower scarce on a 6BT? You can just breathe on them and they’ll make another 50 hp. Some mild upgrades and they’ll make 400 hp.

Plus, they came stock with a mechanical fan on the Dodge Ram. I don’t see many Dodge Ram guys removing their mechanical fans and swapping to electric fans to add horsepower.

To me, the mechanical fan setup is worth the “compromise” in horsepower in exchange for an advantage in reliability.

I think you miss-took my point.

Electric fans do not work well at all. What I posted was the "why" they don't work.

For an electric fan to cool an engine of this size and run on 12 volts it would have 2/0 welding cable running to it for the current required. Most electric fans are powered with a 10 AWG wire through a 40 amp fuse. That equates to roughly .5 HP max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom