69 FST Spring Green partial restore (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a little update on the 69 FST. Since my last posting I've ordered more parts and was able to get some of them installed. I got the new rebuilt carb from Mark as well as the new fan blade and spacer. I relocated the oil filter and made new lines for it. Put back on the parking brake drum with new pads and cleaned it up. What a mess that thing was. Installed a new double seal speedo housing from Georg at Valley Hybrids. When I put the parking brake assembly back together it was a very tight fit. The cable has very little slack on it, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I also put new gaskets on inspection plate of the tcase as well as the output shaft cover. My intention was to remove the tcase and redo all the seals, but I could not get the output nut off. I refilled the case with gear oil, but it's sill leaking from the front output cone at the bottom. I'm wondering if I can remove that while the case is still on the truck? I'm going to try that this weekend, but if I that's not an option then out comes the tranny and tcase and I'll have another go at it. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Looking good!

The parking brake cables can stretch, which might be where your slack is coming from.

Looking good!

The parking brake cables can stretch, which might be where your slack is coming from.
Thanx! It's got plenty of slack. When I was putting the drum on it was a very tight fit. I'm pretty sure I had the shoes squeezed together as tight as they'd go. Not sure if it's because of new shoes or that the drum is not clean enough. I wanted to have it machined down, but it's to small to fit into lathe machine at my local tire store.

It looks like the shoes you used were not a match for your hardware. Not an uncommon problem. Shoe thickness changed around 11/72 IIRC. You would have been better off getting the newer(fatter) adjuster.

You can grind to fit too.

It looks like the shoes you used were not a match for your hardware. Not an uncommon problem. Shoe thickness changed around 11/72 IIRC. You would have been better off getting the newer(fatter) adjuster.

You can grind to fit too.
I did grind part of it, but I guess not enough.

Hey everyone. To those that are following this thread I have a question for you guys. I'm going back and forth between switching to a floor shifter for the transfer case from the vacuum shifter. I have the tcase out of the truck, but I'm not sure how to test it to see if it works. Do I blow compressed air into it to see if moves back and forth? I did get the floor shifter setup from Georg at Valley Hybrids, but I really like the retroness of the vacuum shift. I just don't know if it works or not. If anyone can give me a walk thru on how to bench test it that'd be great. Thanx!

Hey everyone. To those that are following this thread I have a question for you guys. I'm going back and forth between switching to a floor shifter for the transfer case from the vacuum shifter. I have the tcase out of the truck, but I'm not sure how to test it to see if it works. Do I blow compressed air into it to see if moves back and forth? I did get the floor shifter setup from Georg at Valley Hybrids, but I really like the retroness of the vacuum shift. I just don't know if it works or not. If anyone can give me a walk thru on how to bench test it that'd be great. Thanx!
It’s vacuum Craig. Hook a vacuum source to the forward tube, and the front output should lock to the case. Hooked to the rear it should release. Dirt simple test for a math teacher.😉

If it doesn’t work, either the diaphragm is cracked, or the internal mechanisms are dirty/rusty. Both are simple fixes once you get past the Rube Goldberg design of it.

FWIW, the vacuum shifter is a LOT quieter too.

^ vacuum source can be a piece of hose and <you @Mightymes > sucking on it… 😂

I have a small update for those of you that are following along. The weather here in SoCal has slowed me down more than I'd like and since this is an outdoor build I don't have much of a choice. I was able to get the transfer case sorted out and back in truck and not leaking anymore...knock on wood! I also installed the carb that Mark rebuilt for me. I did get new head lights, taillights, parking, and blinkers and mounted. Installed a cowl block off plate. I haven't done any wiring on the account of the weather. Here's a few pictures.

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

Looking good!

I noticed no carb choke breaker diaphragm on the carb. Was that Mark's @65swb45 suggestion? I did a dual res MC upgrade on my '69 and the master is uncomfortably close to the carb choke breaker and I've been wondering about running without.

Looking good!

I noticed no carb choke breaker diaphragm on the carb. Was that Mark's @65swb45 suggestion? I did a dual res MC upgrade on my '69 and the master is uncomfortably close to the carb choke breaker and I've been wondering about running without.
That would be a good question for Mark as I'm not well versed on carbs....lol.

Since it won't stop raining here in SoCal I finally got around to redoing the seats. I got the parts from Spector. I've never done any type of seat upholstery work, but it wasn't all that bad. I had to have my son stand on the bottom passenger section to squeeze it down. One thing is for certain is that I won't do that kind of work in my next life!

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

Looks awesome! I know exactly the step you're talking about where you're trying to compress the springs while attaching the fabric!

Looks awesome! I know exactly the step you're talking about where you're trying to compress the springs while attaching the fabric!
Yup, that was the hardest part. One thing though that I wasn't sure about is how tight to pull the fabric on the upright parts. How tight did you pull yours?

Yup, that was the hardest part. One thing though that I wasn't sure about is how tight to pull the fabric on the upright parts. How tight did you pull yours?
Just tight enough to minimize the folds on the curves as much as possible. It took some care, but I think it came out ok!

i-gvM6xRf-L.jpg

Here's how I compressed my lower seat bottoms: 😄

i-p4bLKsN-L.jpg

i-zpJ9VCC-L.jpg

Just tight enough to minimize the folds on the curves as much as possible. It took some care, but I think it came out ok!

i-gvM6xRf-L.jpg

Here's how I compressed my lower seat bottoms: 😄

i-p4bLKsN-L.jpg

i-zpJ9VCC-L.jpg
Those look great! I didn't even think of using clamps like that, but my son was a big help...lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom