seatbelt ratchet mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bighollowguitars.com
I am almost finished making my ‘91 FJ80 safe for the road, and now it’s time to make it safe(r) for my kids.
I have read the the child car seat threads on the forum, as well as seatbelt repair threads.
What I want to know is whether the ‘91 FJ80 has a ratchet mode in the rear belts. Both side of mine can be pulled to full extension without engaging a ratchet mode.
I am wondering if I am looking at two mechanisms with the same failure or just a lack of ratchet mode

Thanks Rusty, that does look like a handy device. Unfortunately it still requires ratchet mode, e.g. something to pull against. If I installed it on my belt the way it is, I would just ratchet up all the slack until it wouldn’t fit on the device.

If tou pull real fast, does the reel lockup then?

If not, and you need a static position seatbelt locker, we used to have some ~$25 units that you had 3 rollers you wove the belt between just under the change/direction pillar mount.

They were super common to the autocross bunch - IIRC Sabelt or some other Euro company made them & they were TUV approved (Think Euro DOT-approved, but stricter).

If I can find one in a quick Google, I’ll edit my post.

Here’s a quick google of the style we had:

-Ours were similar but the unit ‘pinched’ before the belt went through the high - pillar mount, I’ll keep looking for our one but that CG-Lock is nearly it of sorts.

Last edited:
Well its been a decade or more... I guess we used them on the center seat lap belts now that I think about it.

This cam-over style is similar in function, but what we had were different in design:

Amazon product ASIN B07MJYTQLG
I have no experience with the unit above, I’ll see if I find our old ones a little more.

Rusty, I may have jumped the gun. Apparently I am showing my age, as my only experience with Locking Clips may be when I was being strapped in as a kid.
I think I found the solution thanks to everyone’s help.
I can get one from the same brand as the car seat we use.
Basically they tie the lap and shoulder belts together opposite the buckle so the car seat can’t get out of alignment (do you remember the frigging wiggles!?, my kids could wiggle out of a straight jacket)
Linus, the belts do engage during a fast pull, just no ratchet at the end.

Well, no joy. I can’t find any pics of ours - I posted them years ago, so may search my username & belt lock - It’s been years.

Someone wanted to use them in our 80’s to stay planted when running on rough trails.

I know Sabelt made them, and their a no-joke brand in EU racing circles - there was a huge German company that put out catalogs with all the race equipment and a few sections of women in very little clothes - think Playboy & Rock Auto for race gear all in a catalog, circa 1993.

Did you ever find out if these years have a ratchet mode?

My seatblets do not ratchet when pulled all the way out. I'm digging into this for the same reason. I've got kiddos who ride in my 92. It's my wifes daily driver. Like all dads I love my kids and want to make sure I've done my due diligence on securing car seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom