Seals and when to get them fixed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have, for 2.5 years had a 2005 GX (230,000 miles) and it has been very reliable. I am currently fighting cat codes and old suspension parts but that is not the point of this question.

When I am underneath my GX I always find oil on the engine. It never drips: I assume it is just oil seals failing. I had the timing belt done at 185k and the mechanic said I probably needed cam seals but didn't do them (no time). The transmission bottom always has motor oil on it (again, not dripping, just a light dirty coat). I assume this is the rear main seal.

1. Do you guys get these fixed? Seals all go bad eventually. Is this common on old GXs?

2. Anyone know the cost? It seems it would be very expensive to get fixed. Cam seals, rear main (i assume the front seal was replaced with the timing belt).

I have currently been looking at GX460s as a replacement for this one but we LOVE the 470 with it's big windows. It just fits us like an old shoe. The frame is rust free, the 4wd system works perfectly, and the engine has never given us a problem.

Last edited:
If a rear main never left oil on the ground I’d never even consider doing it unless I had to open it up for another reason.

All automotive seals will give up eventually, a lot of cars just don’t live long enough to get there.

I don’t know about cam seal cost, but maybe the next time you do a timing belt?

I have, for 2.5 years had a 2005 GX (230,000 miles) and it has been very reliable. I am currently fighting cat codes and old suspension parts but that is not the point of this question.

When I am underneath my GX I always find oil on the engine. It never drips: I assume it is just oil seals failing. I had the timing belt done at 185k and the mechanic said I probably needed cam seals but didn't do them (no time). The transmission bottom always has motor oil on it (again, not dripping, just a light dirty coat). I assume this is the rear main seal.

1. Do you guys get these fixed? Seals all go bad eventually. Is this common on old GXs?

2. Anyone know the cost? It seems it would be very expensive to get fixed. Cam seals, rear main (i assume the front seal was replaced with the timing belt).

I have currently been looking at GX460s as a replacement for this one but we LOVE the 470 with it's big windows. It just fits us like an old shoe. The frame is rust free, the 4wd system works perfectly, and the engine has never given us a problem.
I kept having an oil leaks coming from the passenger side of the front of the engine took it to Toyota they told me it was a bad cam seal leaking. Cost Labor $1113.99 parts $174.48 total $1288.47

I kept having an oil leaks coming from the passenger side of the front of the engine took it to Toyota they told me it was a bad cam seal leaking. Cost Labor $1113.99 parts $174.48 total $1288.47
Did you get it fixed?

Usually a $20 bottle of ATP AT-205 will dry up seal leaks. It has polymers that make the seals a bit more flexible, and fixed my rear main seal drip. It's at least worth a shot prior to spending any money on actual seal replacements.

Usually a $20 bottle of ATP AT-205 will dry up seal leaks. It has polymers that make the seals a bit more flexible, and fixed my rear main seal drip. It's at least worth a shot prior to spending any money on actual seal replacements.
So Scotty says it needs to be added at every oil change. Is that what you do?

I just bought some from Amazon, btw.

I added mine about a year ago and have not added any since. I'll probably start adding it once a year or so.

FWIW, I also use high-mileage oil, which also contains seal conditioners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom