Timing belt - to replace or not to replace (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2002 lx470 with 102k miles, new to me, but with complete service history

Timing belt and water pump done at 90k…..but that was 7 years ago at the dealer

Am I fine to run it, or should I be worried about it dry rotting and failing

Thanks in advance

has it been stored outside? covered? in the baking sun?

I would file it under the "get to it when I can and have the budget, but not something I have to rush to do" category

So you have 12K miles in 7 years? IF the belt and the components are OEM, I would not worry {Any aftermarket belts, yes, I DO NOT trust those}.

My 3rd gen 4runner got the T-Belt done in 2010 with an OEM belt and have only 46K miles. It sill looks perfect so I am not going to do any belt change anytime soon.

Best is to open the timing belt cover and inspect it. The easiest side is the passenger side (Don't let any nuts/bolts to fall into the timing belt area)

I opened up one of the covers and it looked brand spanking new. Glad I don’t have to mess with it for a while.

When I bought my car, I had Lexus replace timing belt and water pump at 89K miles in 2011. It now has 149K miles in 2023. Should I do a timing belt job? Thanks.

IMO, no, unless it looks or feels bad. You only have 60k on since the last change. Meant to be every 90k IIRC and that’s conservative. Mine appeared nearly new at 120k FWIW. YMMV though so, like 97 AZ said, best to have a look if it’s a bother for you.

I will probably get flamed, by why roll the dice? I thought it was something like 90k miles OR 9 years. Components age even it not being used.

You cannot tell condition of belt by looking at it. Ask all the TDI guys with destroyed engines.

In any case, it’s not usually the belt that fails. It’s another component in the system that then takes everything out.

If driving this truck regularly I would change the entire timing system and forget about it for another 90k or 9 years.

You cannot tell condition of belt by looking at it. Ask all the TDI guys with destroyed engines.

a 2002 non VVTI engine will not destroy itself if the timing belt breaks. it is a non interferance engine, no matter what the literature says.
I agree that it is not something to mess with if it is a daily driver and you need it running

a 2002 non VVTI engine will not destroy itself if the timing belt breaks. it is a non interferance engine, no matter what the literature says.
I agree that it is not something to mess with if it is a daily driver and you need it running

The OP had a 2002. Sacman jumped in with post 9 and has not yet told us what model year he has.

Ask all the TDI guys with destroyed engines.

Bought a 2013 VW GTI w/ 50k miles 3 yrs ago. We've had more issues with that car in 3 years than I've had with my 20 yr old LC w/ 205K miles over the last decade.

Bet the TDI guys are asking themselves why they bought a VW - I know we are. :bang:

OP, I think you've already arrived at the conclusion to not stress it. The primary issue with T-belts is the pulleys not getting changed as part of the service (or aftermarket parts being used vs the good Koyo stuff). The belts seem to last a very long time. The water pumps last a very long time and the gasket has a metal crush ring so is unlikely to fail there either. Really its just the shaft seal on the WP that would go, but I'd think revolutions would have more of an effect than simple age.

I have done around a dozen T-belts on 2UZ's and would say that pulleys being skipped are the thing that concern me most. I've done belts with 200k on the belt alone and it seemed fine but the pulleys were going to be done in 10-20k.

My point was: when it goes there could be trouble; interference or not. Even if all that trouble is leaving you and your family stranded on the highway somewhere. I would be up s*** creek with my wife if that went down. But my VVTi would also be toast.

90k and 9 years is a LONG time. Change it and forget about it.

@RND1: my condolences. However, the TDI guys are die hard fans. They will replace the entire car twice over without blinking an eye… cause: deezul.

I had an 03 TDI wagon that I put 150k on. Sold it at 297k after I bought my 07 LX with 225k. Night and day difference between vehicles. This LX will glide to 300k and beyond. That TDI will be in the landfill in the next few years.

My point was: when it goes there could be trouble; interference or not. Even if all that trouble is leaving you and your family stranded on the highway somewhere. I would be up s*** creek with my wife if that went down. But my VVTi would also be toast.

90k and 9 years is a LONG time. Change it and forget about it.

@RND1: my condolences. However, the TDI guys are die hard fans. They will replace the entire car twice over without blinking an eye… cause: deezul.

I had an 03 TDI wagon that I put 150k on. Sold it at 297k after I bought my 07 LX with 225k. Night and day difference between vehicles. This LX will glide to 300k and beyond. That TDI will be in the landfill in the next few years.
It’s been 9 years but only 12k miles. When I opened the cover it looks brand new.

Gonna roll with it.

9 years and 12k would concern me on many levels re: all rubber parts. But hey, not my truck! Live on the edge my hundred series brother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom