Stlca chit-chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paid, but that web site has some problems....I tried to access it multiple trys / days before it finally worked.

thanks
It was recently (within the last week I think) migrated to a new server. Hope this helps it work better.

Question for the old timers or those with real in person experience...etc.

Can a twin ARB air compressor be mounted on a wood surface, or does it get too hot for that to be a smart move?

I likely will have an ARB compressor in the rear bed (inside) area...debating on mounting directly to a wood surface or coming up with a metal bracket etc I don't know how hot the compressors get during operation, I certainly don't want to build my own fire starting "kit" inside the cab.

I will be red-neck engineering some type of storage in the bed, and did not know if putting the ARB direclty mounted to wood ...would in fact be a stupid move.

or might take a metal plate or use one of those pre-made brackets (thats metial) and use some spacers, bolt the metal plate to the wood, thus having the metal plate as a first touch bracket with an air gap between itself and the wood surface. Where the metal plate did not lie flat on the wood surface but might have some shims or spacers between it and the flat wood surface.

War-gaming ideas.

ARB not going under the hood....right now I don't see the space.

I also will come up with or desire to come up with some type of configuration where things can't touch the air compressor in the back (things rolling around or coming loose..clothes/supplies etc that might not be smart to get into close proximity to each other. , things need to be secure...including the air compressor. Of course the logic of storage type setup would be to secure things and have tie down points or maybe even a drawer or too. etc.

hope this makes some sense ...comments ?
safety issues in play ?

Last edited:
I had a twin mounted in the rear cargo side of a 60 against the carpet/cardboard panel. Ran the piss out of it airing up and down 35” tires and never had an issue. It got warm but nothing like the little single compressor did.

Agree with Chad. It shouldn't be an issue. I think they generally come with some little rubber bushings to help with vibration which should further help. If your worried about it, just slap a piece of old floor mat or rubber bed liner under it and bold it down. If you think about it, when under the hood they are often very close to plastic fender liners or other plastic components that would melt, and I don't see folks talking about stuff melting.

If that little compressor gets soo hot that it would flash a piece of wood, then I would pick a different compressor.

I doubt it will be an issue. Primarily because the mounts wouldn't likely get hot anyway; the compressor head is generally the only hot spot. If the head could potentially radiate heat and melt any nearby plastic then you might simply add a piece of heat shield in that specific area. Dynamat makes stick-on stuff, there are aluminum-faced fiberglass sheets you can get in different sizes, or you could simply cut a small piece of steel or aluminum and mount it with spacers for an air gap (as others have mentioned).
In the end I think your idea of making sure nothing can come into contact with it on accident will be your only heat/fire concern.

As an aside, the compressor on my truggy used to get super hot so I added on a tiny fan that I had laying around from an old printer that I parted out. The fan is only about 2" square so I just used zipties and mounted it directly to the compressor head and wired it in with the switched power so the fan runs any time the compressor does.

thanks for the feedback, I know with under the hood mount the compressor is getting hot just from radiate heat on top of what it puts out during operation. I did not think it would get that hot given the mounts etc with my contemplated rear bed location, but thought I might ask around to see what others know/experienced.

I'm chasing my "but" on wrapping up my front headlight setup and replacing the regulators on the front doors, then its back to other stuff , one of which is getting the ARB up and running. Waiting on parts has become a major time consumer, beyond me being lazy.

Is this the right clubhouse for those living in the Murfreesboro area?
My wife son and I are moving out next month from Sacramento and am looking to meet up with some other cruiser heads.

I'm just north of you in Wilson county.

I've yet to connect with the TN cruiser folks but hope to soon as well.

I don't get down to the boro too often but feel free to reach out regardless

Sounds great. Thanks man. I’ll keep an eye out for the next meeting.

Is this the right clubhouse for those living in the Murfreesboro area?
My wife son and I are moving out next month from Sacramento and am looking to meet up with some other cruiser heads.
You are in the right place. What part of Murfreesboro you moving to? I am a little west of town toward Eagleville.

I'm just north of you in Wilson county.

I've yet to connect with the TN cruiser folks but hope to soon as well.

I don't get down to the boro too often but feel free to reach out regardless

Not sure where you are in Wilson County, but @Tennessee80 and @Monty231 and @ukaviator do some wrenching out toward Mt Juliet I think from time to time, they are a pretty active group.

As far as this clubhouse, its pretty sparse. There are posts from time to time, but it seems that most of the guys have either gone to another platform, likely facebook, or jsut don't get on here any more.

@93yotasr5 Once you and the family get settled, shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers. And I would be down to try and set something up in the Murfreesboro area if you guys wanted to meet and have a bite sometime if there was some interest.

We will be in the northern most portion of the city. We will almost be closer to Lebanon then the central part of Murfreesboro.

Nice! I'm in Lebanon. Feel free to dm me once you're settled it you want to grab a beer.

There's a couple good spots on the town square - good food and drinks + family friendly.

I’d love to Man! The 80 series will be shipped out after we land. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to arrive. Lebanon is a cool town. I’ll be in touch

Fawk that.

Been here my whole life. Californication of the souths great states is never not heart breaking.

But such is life- people are gonna come and people are gonna go. So newcomers with cruisers and guns are a win in my book.

Never have cared for fast food of any variety so that's all a wash.

Been here my whole life. Californication of the souths great states is never not heart breaking.

But such is life- people are gonna come and people are gonna go. So newcomers with cruisers and guns are a win in my book.

Never have cared for fast food of any variety so that's all a wash.

That wasn't directed at you perse. I know a number of wonderful folks who have come to TN to get away from the tyranny of the people's republic of Kalifornia. Ive heard a lot of folks with the same story as you. Been there all their life, not the same place they grew up, head8ng for somewhere less ridiculous. Most fit in just fine in our beautiful state. As long as folks come understanding that we like our whiskey, guns and (insert large 4x4 or obnoxiously loud fast car of your choice here), then we all get along just fine 🙂

As far as in-n-out, never understood the fuss. We got a whataburger this past year and most folks around here were un-impressed. Haven't been myself, and probably won't. I don't generally frequent any burger spot. They're all pretty much the same anyway.

To be honest, I particularly appreciate you posting here. This is the most action the chat has seen in months.

Safe travels bud and let us k ow when you get here and settled in.

I get the whole carpet bagger mentality, but people migrating to the state and bringing tons of money with them is always a good thing as I see it. Maybe not for real estate prices (driving them up) but all else is a net gain right? Once they get there they have a right to be represented, and there are tons of red leaning people in Cali, so I'm not sure why there is disdain.

The state's economy growing, creating more high paying jobs, more taxpayers, which then means more funds for infrastructure and other services that everyone benefits from. How is this bad?

To share my perspective, I grew up in upstate NY and moved to NC nearly 12 years ago. I pay taxes and support local businesses. NY is very similar to CA in a lot of ways.

I'm coming from a point of curiosity, not criticism. I'm curious to learn more about your perspectives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom