My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fun question might be ... What does she need a tow rig for?
For me to borrow!
The plan is to pretty much gut it and use a plan from Sportmobile to outfit it for glamping. Once the 40 is done we will tow that.
She is not much for ground camping qnd since we will be retiring in a year or so we have a great desire to do a little RVing. We really enjoyed our time in the "Juicy" van in New Zealand some years ago so this has been a goal for a while.
She even is excited to work on this one - at least the interior.

Still lots to do inside the shop but it is getting there and it is so great to have a place to do this sort of thing.

Last edited:
First official shop project :cool:

Well, I thought I had taken a pic of the light I hung by the man door but apparently not. It was a find - a caged sealed commercial light I got for super cheap.
Anyway, this will have to do for you guys.
The place is filling up.
20221230_182713.jpg

Tonight was leaf burning in the thunderdome. Usually have to do it twice a year and like to do it at night so the world does not think the mountain top is on fire.
20221230_182736.jpg

I also added an extra seal under the big 12 foot door since rain comes from that side.

I was hoping to get the 40 in today but ran into an unexpected issue with the ubolt plates. But the axle is finally under the truck.
20221229_160018.jpg

I discovered the the rain frequently blows against my big 12x12 door then runs down the ripples in the door toward one end and then into the shop.

I went to JaCor Inc - Brush Seals and Weather Seals - http://www.jacorinc.com and bought a set of 12x12 brush seals. Pretty cool. Seems like one can buy anything if they just look hard enough for it.

They were not easy to put up and we really needed a third person. It got dark so you can't see them well but here are some pics installed. I need to adjust the top one. It is too close to the door and is making it hard to close. No biggy.
20230114_182325.jpg
20230114_182335.jpg
20230114_182348.jpg

You might also look into Green Hinges. They are spring loaded and push the door to the seal. I will be getting 3 sets when they are back in stock. I need it to stop the cold air when the wind blows against the doors.

You might also look into Green Hinges. They are spring loaded and push the door to the seal. I will be getting 3 sets when they are back in stock. I need it to stop the cold air when the wind blows against the doors.

That's a new one to me. Hmmm.

Garage door installer was my first job out of High School. for 18 months I installed thousands of doors. I gotta say, those hinges look like snake oil for a mis-installed door. If the weatherstripping is hard- Replace it! It's dirt cheap! Doors have a million simple adjustments. You basically start at the bottom and work your way up. A door can operate great with almost zero clearance to the jambs when the track is adjusted correctly.

I have barrel doors. They have no hinges. The brush seals are the same type seals we had on roll up vinyl hangar door in the Army. They prevent water, animal, bug and air intrusion very well.

That's a new one to me. Hmmm.

Garage door installer was my first job out of High School. for 18 months I installed thousands of doors. I gotta say, those hinges look like snake oil for a mis-installed door. If the weatherstripping is hard- Replace it! It's dirt cheap! Doors have a million simple adjustments. You basically start at the bottom and work your way up. A door can operate great with almost zero clearance to the jambs when the track is adjusted correctly.
You should check them out.

I'm pretty sure I did? What am I missing about them? Looks like a solution in search of a problem.
I suppose for those of us with less experience in all things garage door related, it is an easier fix to the door gap issue. I have two practically new doors that the wind can push away from the seals.

Stair building today. Allen blocks to get to the front door. Posting this to force some motivation. It is 27° out and I can only guess the landscape place is open. I need 21 cap blocks and a ton of #80 stone.

I suppose for those of us with less experience in all things garage door related, it is an easier fix to the door gap issue. I have two practically new doors that the wind can push away from the seals.

LOL! That was long enough ago I forgot anything I knew about garage doors except that I once installed 10++ a day for awhile. Whenever I need to take down, put up or adjust a garage door I just look at it knowing that 18 Y/O dumbsh!t me was able to figure it out fine so 40 Y/O me shouldn't struggle too hard. And by golly we even have tools without cords today!

Whoa boy are we whipped.
Got 5 stairs mostly up before it got dark.
Commercial Allen blocks are no joke heavy.
Before:
20230116_123711.jpg

Hopefully we did not kill the arborvitae. We got into the roots pretty good. They are pretty dang hardy. The roots may screw up the stairs in a few years but we will see.

You have to wait for an after pic. I can't get out of my chair.

One more course to go and then cut the caps. Then we will glue those on but we need to rent a saw to cut those. After that, we will put some pavers at the top between the stairs and the patio.

Then some grading and clean up and some rip rap qlong the edge of the stairs and the hillside.

Looks good sir

Gotta glue down the caps still qnd finish grading the dirt at the top for some flag stones but you get the idea.
20230121_180420.jpg

Nice job, too bad you didn’t have a darker stone for the bottom step.😉
Actually, those dark 5 inch ones were still just wet from cutting. They are all the same color. Belgard Carriage House.
I forgot to turn the water on at the saw when I cut the first one for the bottom step.

Super happy I will no longer be walking through the mud to get to the front door.

Lots of rain today. No issues with erosion around the stairs but I am still getting a bit of water in on the windward side lower corner of the big 12x12 door. It seems it travels down the concave parts of the door to the side and into the track where it runs down and gets into the garage. I thought the brush seal took care of it but apparently not. It is not a big deal but I do need to figure out a solution. It is bothering the sh#t outta me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom